Nekochan Net

A delicate request - Page 1

Our "Everything else" forum rule just stipulates "No politics, please". Could you possibly change that to "No politics or religion, please", or some such?

My reason for such a request is that for quite a long time I'd fight the urge to comment on nonsense like Creationism, Creation Science, Intelligent Design etc. Of course, by our present rule, I'd have been allowed to submit completely nasty posts at my whimsy on these subjects. But, while I think most of our members are quite open-minded, others might be totally offended. So, please ban religion in addition to politics on the "Everything else" forum.
371- 528 - 818 - ?
so ... because you believe you are not capable of governing your own behavior, you want a higher authority to step in and give you a commandment to abide by? which is somehow preferable to -- or easier than -- deciding rationally to abstain from said behavior?

how ... curious :)
i think we should all give neko a brake and self-moderate ourselves. it's summer, the whole world is going broke, and the last thing we should worry about is one more rule in a fine place like this.

i think neko never had a problem with "politics" (or any other topic) per se as long as we don't bust his balls about it. there are times we get to have some very interesting discussions here (thanks to diversity) and other times that we act like crybabies.

i'd say to get in (or opt out) a conversation as adults. i enjoy conversing with a wild bunch of you whatever the topic is. i never had any problem w/ humour, different styles/views or critique. i'd join a discussion on religion started by you oskar without nagging @ neko/mods if we don't agree.

muppets @6:09 ask: is conversation a dying art ?
fu wrote: i'd join a discussion on religion started by you oskar

Hey pal, a few gins first :-) Ok, I think Intelligent Design stuff is completetly demented.
371- 528 - 818 - ?
I'm like Carl Sagan, when it comes to religion I don't want to believe I want to know...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
uhmmm can you handle the gin today? i can only find ice cubes around an ancient theatre, nearest bar is 10km away :)
fu wrote: uhmmm can you handle the gin today? i can only find ice cubes around an ancient theatre, nearest bar is 10km away :)
YES, I can. Have a secret weapon, though :-)
371- 528 - 818 - ?
Have a secret weapon, though :-)

A jar of olives? ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Self-moderation is the buzzword indeed. When things go out of hand, be sure that one of us will come and lock y'all down. ;-)
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Hakimoto wrote: Self-moderation is the buzzword indeed. When things go out of hand, be sure that one of us will come and lock y'all down. ;-)
If that's so, just why was it necessary to give the explicit forum rule, "No politics, please"? You might as well remove that rule as superflous. When things in said area go out of hand, someone of you will come as a son of God and lock us anyhow :-)
371- 528 - 818 - ?
Ezekiel 23:20 <- !! :lol: Just quietly lurking, browsing the topics, agreeing in my mind then I had to google your sig.... Starting laughing, my wife asked what I was laughing at. ;)

-Mike
I found a book where Buñuel quotes Wisdom 2:1-9 out of context, and it impressed me a lot.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
mgtremaine wrote: Ezekiel 23:20 <- !! :lol: Just quietly lurking, browsing the topics, agreeing in my mind then I had to google your sig.... Starting laughing, my wife asked what I was laughing at. ;)

What I can't understand is, why would anyone want a boyfriend who farted like a horse ?
@Oskar45: Your point is well taken. The reason there's the no politics rule is because back in the day, as you may well remember, we had political discussions go way out of hand. I suppose, yes, the rule is arbitrary, as is our [the mods] judgement whether to shut down any given thread. I should think that over the years things have 'evolved' somewhat and things go out of hand less quickly and less commonly. Whether this justifies an "update" to the rule, well, that remains to be seen and is, quite honestly, neko's call. :)
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Oskar45 wrote: Our "Everything else" forum rule just stipulates "No politics, please". Could you possibly change that to "No politics or religion, please", or some such?

I support this.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Oskar45 wrote: I think Intelligent Design stuff is completetly demented.

agreed. i've only browsed the synopsis and it looks like i won't dive any deeper. all these late trends to hystericize the new millenia remind me of dark ages. we used to burn books back then, now we're burning minds.

vishnu wrote: A jar of olives? ;)

olives aplenty in Epidaurus, give us a hand and join vp , our regular us-side bartender :)

robespierre wrote: I found a book where Buñuel quotes Wisdom 2:1-9 out of context, and it impressed me a lot.

try to find "the exterminating angel" in a bohemian cinema room or dvd and tell us what you think. don't bother w/ the average stamp-size iphone clip, doesn't count.

hamei wrote:
mgtremaine wrote: Ezekiel 23:20 <- !! :lol: Just quietly lurking, browsing the topics, agreeing in my mind then I had to google your sig.... Starting laughing, my wife asked what I was laughing at. ;)

What I can't understand is, why would anyone want a boyfriend who farted like a horse ?

collateral damage turned into habit. i saw Ariadne yesterday, she never managed to (totaly) get rid of that Dionysus/Minotaur odor.
fu wrote: we used to burn books back then, now we're burning minds.

Inverse totalitarianism and the managed democracy.

Although i don't think we need to stretch so far for an answer. Fascism fits the description of the situation perfectly. Let's go to the horse's mouth :

"Fascism is the operation of government for the benefit of the large corporations."
--- Benito Mussolini
fu wrote: try to find "the exterminating angel"

That's a great movie. Buñuel said of Mexico, "A fascist country softened by corruption."

I'll try to see it when the local place shows it in August.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
yes gents, tricky how discourse works.

fascism had both political&fiscal roots. the word got demonized, turned into taboo after the end of wwii in order to reflect certain imagery/emblems of that short guy with the moustache. benito eventually got hanged for high treason in piazzale loreto and here we are in 2012 bailing out bankers, worrying about job security and negotiating basic human rights.

i pity the kids, everything they grow up in is phoney these days. "get rich or die tryin'" mantras are doomed to end in blood+tears. truth be said, distraction techniques are much better nowadays.
fu wrote: i pity the kids,

I do not. At least the Americans embrace it. They love it. They swallow that shit as if it were ambrosia. Tell them they are full of nonsense and they scream like you are taking away their V10 Dodge crewcab dually diesel with leather interior dreams. At that age everyone I knew was throwing rocks at the Establishment and burning cop cars. Kids now (not your artist-types but normal Americans) are pounding on the Establishment's door to get in.

They will die. You can't eat gold.

everything they grow up in is phoney these days.

Yup. From the tomatoes on down*, phony as a three dollar bill. "Business logic ! Business ethics ! Profit ! Profit ! Gotta make a proooooofit ! Efficient use of reeeee-sources !" (As in, put it all in my bank account, you peasants.) Talk about the Big Lie .... diarrhoea is what it is.

* I have a quick civilization gauge : eat a tomato. If it tastes like cardboard, the society is worthless.