SGI: Development

beta test: firefox3.0.19 - Page 8

hamei wrote:
foetz wrote:
do you have multiple versions of gtk or related programs installed by any chance?

gtk1 and gtk2 ... that should not be a problem tho ?

yup that's fine as long as only one of each major version is in the paths
On a somewhat related point, this is the typical attitude I get from Mozilla on stuff that doesn't benefit Tier-1 or -2 ports:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=881882#c16

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=881882#c16

We have to face facts, Classy - Mozilla is nothing but a group of worthless loser assholes. If they caught fire, I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on them. End of story.

Concerning the std::bad_alloc crashes, they seem to have gone away. I upped glib, pixman and gtk2. Pixman probably didn't matter, glib maybe. The gtk2 to 2.13.2 made an improvement in the appearance and seems to have stopped most of the crashes I was getting.

If you don't like it, don't use it. If you know better, make it better. If you can't make it better, who the wothless looser?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt :D

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Works fine with IP30 / IRIX 6.5.30m, and it looks faster than FF2.

Now, I know maybe this is a dumb question because things like API recent changes and/or things like that... but... -anyone knows if it could be persuaded to work along with the NekoWare GNash?

All the best,
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
GeneratriX wrote:
-anyone knows if it could be persuaded to work along with the NekoWare GNash?

I have no idea about gnash - it seems like most gnu projects, the children got bored with it and gave up - but I found the latest version of plugger, built it and installed. That works for a lot of helper applications. MPlayer, xpdf and some others work that I know of.

:)

hamei wrote:
but I found the latest version of plugger, built it and installed. That works for a lot of helper applications. MPlayer, xpdf and some others work that I know of.

Good point, Hamei. I was not awared of Plugger. Are you talking about this plugger , right? I'll give it a try with MIPSPRO to see if the build works here too.

I guess the problem with Flash/ShockWave will be something harder to solve... but I'm going to try some very dirty hacks with the old Macromedia and Nekoware GNash to see if it can be forced to work even if it only serves for older container versions.

Greetings!
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
*Big* thanks for the work put into this. I've been enjoying FF 3 on my Octane for the past few days with no major issues --

One very minor problem I've found (and I'm not convinced it's necessarily from FF) is either the current or beta libpng will cause FF to constantly spew Gdk_pixbuf errors if using certain GTK2 themes (both GTK-Motif and Notif atleast have this problem, I haven't tried others).

I don't see this behavior in other GTK2 apps when either theme is used with a recent libpng, so I thought i'd mention it here. The problem seems FF-specific. Downgrading to libpng-1.2.29 from the archives clears the issue up.

To reproduce --

Use the regular dynamically-linked neko FF3 with a recent neko_libpng and either of the above mentioned themes.

...And lots of other UNIX-like systems for which there is no icon.
I just bought an Octane 2 and am very new to Irix but I'm learning.

first, thank you to everyone that's worked at getting a modern browser up and running on Irix/SGI. It's been 30 years since I used Unix and it's coming back, albeit slowly. I love the machine and am learning to love the OS as well.

My Octane had Mozilla 1.x.x that did work and was stable. It was relatively fast and really didn't have many issues when I used it. I just updated to FF 3.0.19 and have it running. I'm having some issues that are outside my knowledge with the OS and, as much as I hate to post, I really could use some help. 3.0.19 is running slow and erratic. I have areas that turn black when the cursor moves over them and data input boxes that will black out when I try to type something in. The browser is very slow as well. I assume I have either a conflict or outdated supporting file somewhere but, like I mentioned, I'm not up to speed at that level to fix it. I am a fast learner though.

If anyone has run into this and can offer up some help I'd appreciate it. My goal was to wipe the OS (which I just did) and install FF to use and get familiar with. This is the last piece of that puzzle and then I'll be doing more work at learning more about IRIS so I'm eager to fix this issue. Please keep in mind that I'm a base level newby.

Thanks so much!
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Have you set the xserver to use 24-bit color? http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/True_Color
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Changing the color depth didn't work but fixpath did.

I assume I did this correctly... I uncompressed the neko_fixpath.tar.gz file that was on the desktop then dragged it onto the firefox icon. I guess that since I'm not getting these blacked out areas that it went as it was suppose to.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Vladio wrote: I assume I did this correctly... I uncompressed the neko_fixpath.tar.gz file that was on the desktop then dragged it onto the firefox icon. I guess that since I'm not getting these blacked out areas that it went as it was suppose to.

Umm, yes, well ... errr ... I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure that neko_fixpath is a script to automate adding nekoware to your path. If nekoware comes first, then the /usr/nekoware apps and libraries get used (if they exist) in preference to the older Irix ones. Most of nekoware will need this to function. You could do the same thing by hand if you want, neko_fixpath is just a handy way to accomplish that.

Not sure what you actually did, but I don't think it will have the effect you want :)

It's interesting that you saw a change tho. I wonder what fireflop did with that script ? Or fireflop never saw it, Irix tried to open flopsy with that script as an argument and the script accidentally got run as a side-effect ? Any of you script-masters out there have an idea ?
the critics were concise, it only took four lines ...
It's interesting that you saw a change tho. I wonder what fireflop did with that script ? Or fireflop never saw it, Irix tried to open flopsy with that script as an argument and the script accidentally got run as a side-effect ? Any of you script-masters out there have an idea ?
Too scary for me to even try, who wrote neko_fixpath? There should at least be a few comment lines at the top of the script that says what it's supposed to do. And anyway, if all it's supposed to do is put /usr/bin/nekoware at the top of your path, you can do that with a single line in your ~/.profile:

Code: Select all

PATH="/usr/bin/nekoware:$PATH"
:P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
it's actually /usr/nekoware/bin but either way a good idea to set your env vars yourself instead of having any script mess with them
foetz wrote: it's actually /usr/nekoware/bin but either way a good idea to set your env vars yourself instead of having any script mess with them

Yup that was a typo, I meant /usr/nekoware/bin ... :oops:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
haha you shall be forgiven :P
foetz wrote: haha you shall be forgiven

After making amends. 50 pushups, pledge ! :P
pooshups.jpg
pooshups.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 818 times
the critics were concise, it only took four lines ...
I installed Firefox3 from Nekoware/stable using nekosync on my 'new' Octane/SSI (fresh install of 6.5.16 then patch 5086 then update to 6.5.22). On start I get:

Code: Select all

IRIS 1% firefox3
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

(firefox-bin:1423): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/nekoware/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

(firefox-bin:1423): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/nekoware/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2744: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2769: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2744: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2769: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_font_find_shaper: assertion `font != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_font_find_shaper: assertion `font != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
PangoFc will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
'/usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running:
pango-querymodules > '/usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules'

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_font_describe: assertion `font != NULL' failed
moz_run_program[36]: 1423 Memory fault(coredump)

Firefox2, on which I'm typing this, is running flawlessly.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!