SGI: Development

beta test: firefox3.0.19 - Page 5

hamei wrote:
Physical Memory: 8388608 K (510720 K used)

Octane, or O3x0? Or did I misread that 8GB physmem total...?

O 35 0 . After ten years had to move from the Fuel for the high-res display project*. Still running on the same installation though :D

* You don't actually have to, a Fuel with a single V12 / DCD can achieve 3840 x 2400. But machine lust .....

edit : was going to ask about bookmarks but I see ... it's just clunky, not broken. The browser is okay but all the popup menus and windows are kind of a pita.
Just wondering ... many (most ?) sites are fine, act like a website should. But at some places the scrolling is impossibly slow, the browser goes unresponsive while the page is scrolling, in general it's awful. Does this happen to anyone else ?

For example :

http://www.recycledgoods.com/product/19 ... 3w3-rev.-m

there's nothing that looks too technical here, just a few photos and a few lines of text. but it behaves very badly.
smj wrote:
8GB physmem

But if your application is N32, it will still effectively run out of address space at ~ 1.7GB. I've seen FF run out of (32bit) memory on a PC with several GB RAM free.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
smj wrote:
8GB physmem

But if your application is N32, it will still effectively run out of address space at ~ 1.7GB.

Are you suggesting trying a 64-bit version ? Hmmm .....
The current versions really are a lot better about memory use. 3.x could be a real hog. A 64-bit version might not be a bad workaround ...

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 2GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Thanks a lot! Firefox 3.0.19 running smoothly on Octane (R12k 400 MHz, 512 MB RAM)

Is anybody else seeing strange, unprintable characters after some of the menu items? (See attached screenshot of the "File" menu.) On my Octane, they show up after some (but not all) of the menu entries, and it affects all of the menus I've seen --- not just the ones accessed from the menu bar but also the context-sensivite right-click menu.

I don't know if that's a problem with the Firefox package, or an upstream Firefox bug, or something wrong with my system (which is very possible). Anyone else seeing this? If not, then it's probably my system and I won't complain anymore in this thread.

jpstewart wrote:
Is anybody else seeing strange, unprintable characters after some of the menu items? (See attached screenshot of the "File" menu.) On my Octane, they show up after some (but not all) of the menu entries, and it affects all of the menus I've seen --- not just the ones accessed from the menu bar but also the context-sensivite right-click menu.

I don't know if that's a problem with the Firefox package, or an upstream Firefox bug, or something wrong with my system (which is very possible). Anyone else seeing this? If not, then it's probably my system and I won't complain anymore in this thread.

http://www.htmlescape.net/20/unicode_char_2026.html

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
PymbleSoftware wrote:
jpstewart wrote:
Is anybody else seeing strange, unprintable characters after some of the menu items?

Agreed, looks like a fonts problem (I've had several of those :cry: ) Try rooting around in your fontconfig until you get the flop to use a unicode font.

If you like, the attached is not a perfect userchrome but it will bring you back to more of an irix appearance ...
Attachment:
4dwm_userchrome.zip [2.14 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times

It's got a spinning cube in the corner, I hope :-)

PymbleSoftware wrote:
jpstewart wrote:
Is anybody else seeing strange, unprintable characters after some of the menu items?

Agreed, looks like a fonts problem (I've had several of those :cry: ) Try rooting around in your fontconfig until you get the flop to use a unicode font.

Thanks for the pointers, folks. I knew I was seeing the glyph for an unprintable character, but I didn't quite clue in that it meant that I needed a Unicode font. :oops: Maybe playing with the Octane at the end of the day when I was tired wasn't the best plan. Glad you guys were awake enough to spot the problem.

And so, I can safely say now that Firefox 3 is working fine for me. I haven't seen any problems with the Nekoware package.

duck wrote:
It's got a spinning cube in the corner, I hope :-)

No, I was torn between the spinning cube and skulls with flaming eye sockets ... couldn't decide so I just gave up :D

I fired up redbox this afternoon for the first time in forever and installed the 'new' Firefox - it works great so far! BIG thanks to all who worked on getting it to compile on IRIX :)

Inspired by all of this fabulousness, I fired up Blender and created a new SGI cube-logo throbber and took the liberty of cleaning-up Hamei's 4Dwm userChrome.css prettyfication-mod posted earlier in this thread.

To install simply unpack the attached tarball and copy the files into:

$HOME/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/chrome

Enjoy,

Jimmer

It's so nice to have a professional around the house :D

That was a pretty nifty idea with the link, J. Makes it easy to try out several different userChrome setups. Thank you for the lesson ...

diegel's neko-firexox3.0.19 is still going strong - after several months of regular use (on several different systems) I have yet to experience a crash.

A vote of thanks to all the above.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
So I'm trying to bring fx3 up on my Fuel. (Note to diegel: I'd like to partner on porting 3.6, since for TenFourFox I've been able to get the JITs working for PowerPC and I think we can very easily get TraceMonkey working on sgi-mips. 4.0.x should also be achievable -- if I can get Fx21 running on a Power Mac, we should be able to get a later Fx running on an SGI. :D ) After struggling with the fact that swmgr totally ballsed up pango, fontconfig and gtk2, firefox3 starts, but spams the console with

Code:
(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5878: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5619: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5619: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5768: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5768: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5953: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

(firefox-bin:1631): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 5953: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

There are various graphical glitches; menus don't properly display; the background of the web page sometimes doesn't paint right away; scrollbars and controls are often invisible, though I can still interact with them and the browser basically works.

I'm suspicious this might just be a symptom of a bigger problem, though: Audacity and E-UAE both look like ass, with bizarre colour fringing and illegible fonts, though they don't have the redraw problems that Firefox does and they don't generate the same assertions to the console.

Fuel V12 graphics, 1920x1080x72, 16-bit buffer, 24-bit hardware acceleration (gfxinfo -vv available upon request). Suggestions appreciated.

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
After struggling with the fact that swmgr totally ballsed up pango, fontconfig and gtk2 ...

That's why I am a fan of the "install a few, run it, install a few more" method of nekoware installation. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot when you only have one or two new apps at a time ...

Quote:
I'm suspicious this might just be a symptom of a bigger problem, though: Audacity and E-UAE both look like ass, with bizarre colour fringing and illegible fonts, though they don't have the redraw problems that Firefox does and they don't generate the same assertions to the console.

Start with the basics - you did the 24-bit color depth adjustment ?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4200&hilit=24+bit+color+depth+Xserversr

also check against <xdpyinfo> and <xwininfo> ?

Since you already have a ton of new stuff, what the heck, maybe try the pango from /beta as well ? ... it seems much better than the older one, at least with ff.

Are all your bizzarities with gtk2 apps, perchance ?