SGI: Development

beta test: firefox3.0.19 - Page 7

... or I would if it weren't showing me a nice red/white LED show - "Graphics configuration error", which I hope means "settings not right for PROM screen but can be reset from L1 console" rather than "V12 has died"! can't set up serial console tonight, sorry.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
mapesdhs wrote: ajw99uk writes:
> Yes, but deferring the new layout (on all systems) as long as possible!

Alas eventually the switchover is forced upon you.

Ian, the final solution is to set up a real mail client then get the stinking yahoo mail via pop. That is more difficult on yayhoo than gmail but at least as of a few years ago there were some tricks to achieve same.

Webmail is useful when you go on a trip : otherwise it's awful.

The other solution of course would be to tap directly into the NSA's feed .....
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
Typing this with FF3. 8) It has slightly improved the visual layout of Yahoo Mail (date column is now correctly
in view), but alas the buttons are still missing (I can see where they're supposed to be, but there's no image/text).

However, this FF3 vastly improves all sorts of other things, eg. sites like tomshardware, eBay, overclock.net, etc., all
work much better and faster, so I'll stick with it for sure. Mega congrats to all those who've worked on this build! 8-)

hamei writes:
> Ian, the final solution is to set up a real mail client then get the stinking yahoo mail via pop. ...

Hmm, I suppose. It's just that the webmail interface has always been fine for me, and it's handy when I'm away, etc.

> Webmail is useful when you go on a trip : otherwise it's awful.

I never found it awful at all. Been fine for ages, and my account goes back many years (long before Yahoo UK was
set up). Thing is, I rarely use the webmail interface to type replies (except for very short replies of which I don't feel
a need to keep a record). Normally I use the mouse to copy a mail into jot; I have (had) some nice little jot macros
which process the headers to tidy them up (one press of F9). Then I CTRL+A and middle-button the text into a
different jot reply window, press F4 to process the headers again to leave just the source email address and subject
line. It's very fast & it means I have a normal text copy of just about every email I've ever received or sent. I don't
use webmail as a place to store emails or other info long term.

But with the new setup and the way an email is displayed, I can't use the mouse anymore to highlight the whole
text of an email (including headers) so my macro setup is void (might add I've been using Yahoo Mail this way for
fifteen years ; infact it'll be exactly 15 years tomorrow, my account was opened 15/Jun/1998).

> The other solution of course would be to tap directly into the NSA's feed .....

You do realise of course that having said that you'll have concrete shoes by morning. :D

Ian.
ajw99uk wrote: ... or I would if it weren't showing me a nice red/white LED show - "Graphics configuration error", which I hope means "settings not right for PROM screen but can be reset from L1 console" rather than "V12 has died"! can't set up serial console tonight, sorry.

Unplugged keybd/mouse, plugged in a serial lead, powered up - using Win98/HyperTerminal got into PROM then single user.
Used this tip for the necessary setmon syntax: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16727212&p=7355183&hilit=setmon#p7355183
recondas wrote: you can reset it to the default 1280x1024@60Hz with the command /usr/gfx/setmon -x 1280x1024_60 followed by a reboot. If you want to reboot with the keyboard and mouse reattached, power down before reconnecting.

So here I am back with FF3 - but still asking Yahoo to "remind me later" about the new webmail UI!
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
ajw99uk writes:
> So here I am back with FF3 - but still asking Yahoo to "remind me later" about the new webmail UI!

You'll be forced to switch over about 1 month after you received the original notification email. You do
have the option of using a simplified version of their new setup, but it's still a mess compared to the
old system. Only saving grace is it's fast enough to use with FF3 with javascript left on, and attaching
files now works correctly, if kinda slow.

Ian.
I'm searching for relevant hw/funding for a charitable PC build . Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute or have any suitable components! Donations of items I can sell to provide funds are also welcome.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
Ian,

Doesn't they offer imap access, and would facilitate the integration of an email client, rather than a web UI?

Cheers
:Onyx2:
mia wrote: Doesn't they (Yahoo) offer imap access, and would facilitate the integration of an email client, rather than a web UI?

Just for reference: Yes, they do. That's how I access that account from my iPhone.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
I access my mail from a lot of different systems as I'm doing my stuff. I'd rather not have to farf
around with such things on so many different systems.

Anyway, doesn't matter now, I've put a post-it on my monitor border showing the button map
of Yahoo's mail layout, so I've gotten used to clicking on what/where already even though I
can't see the buttons. :}

Btw, does anyone else see this FF3 build displaying certain characters rather strangely,
especially quote marks?

Ian.
I'm searching for relevant hw/funding for a charitable PC build . Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute or have any suitable components! Donations of items I can sell to provide funds are also welcome.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
mapesdhs wrote: I'd rather not have to farf around with such things....

Anyway, doesn't matter now, I've put a post-it on my monitor border showing the button map of Yahoo's mail layout, so I've gotten used to clicking on what/where already even though I can't see the buttons.
That's logic at a level beyond my comprehension :D
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: That's logic at a level beyond my comprehension :D

:D

Here's a rather dark photo overlaid with a partial screenshot...

Ah yes, it's all super advanced technology around my office, la la la... :}

I'd be doomed without postit notes...

Ian.
I salute your devotion, sir!

Then again I'm using a port of Firefox on a now antiquated G5.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
:D

Notice how the 'Spam' button is shown correctly, though it's kinda blended into the 'Search Mail' button somewhat.

Never mind though, I'm getting used to it, and the extra speed of this build really does make a difference.

I'd say the only thing that bugs me atm is the browser not displaying certain characters correctly,
especially the various kinds of quote marks.

Ian.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
mapesdhs wrote: :D
I'd say the only thing that bugs me atm is the browser not displaying certain characters correctly,
especially the various kinds of quote marks.
This issue has been discussed earlier. You need to configure /usr/nekoware/etc/fonts/local.conf see page 3 of this thread. I think I will add a configured version of this file in my firefox3 complete package.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
I don't think sticking a /usr/nekoware/etc/fonts/local.conf into the firefox package is a good idea. You could update the neko_fontconfig package, make a patch package that "updates" the local.conf or provide a separate package with only the local.conf.

On the other hand, instead of replacing local.conf you could just place a file in conf.avail and make a symlink in conf.d in a postinstall script.
mapesdhs wrote: :D

Notice how the 'Spam' button is shown correctly, though it's kinda blended into the 'Search Mail' button somewhat.

it's a spam search function :P
Here is maybe a slightly better clue than usual about what might be causing my std::bad alloc crashes :
Code:
(firefox-bin:5637): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkdnd.c: line 3044: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAG_CONTEXT (context)' failed
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what():  std::bad_alloc
moz_run_program[36]: 5637 Abort

And then again, it could just be a false pregnancy ....

btw, it wasn't doing anything when this happened. I was outside walking, getting a little air and patrolling the block in case there were any dangerously weak bra straps that might fail and hurt some inocent bystanders. When I got back, Fireflop had left the building.
hamei wrote:
Here is maybe a slightly better clue than usual about what might be causing my std::bad alloc crashes :
Code:
(firefox-bin:5637): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkdnd.c: line 3044: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAG_CONTEXT (context)' failed
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what():  std::bad_alloc
moz_run_program[36]: 5637 Abort
Does anyone else have ever seen this kind of error? I use firefox3 every day, in rare cases I see a bus error, but I have never seen a bad_alloc crash.

do you have multiple versions of gtk or related programs installed by any chance?

gtk1 and gtk2 ... that should not be a problem tho ?
Thanks for all the hard work getting Firefox 3 working.

:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots