Everything Else

hamei 's departure - Page 1

It's been awfully quiet here the last few days? Has everyone gone elsewhere? Was hamei more than 1 person? Is it because Christmas is around the corner?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
oh men, I guess he is exercising in xmass songs
(here I am so ahead that
I am focused on the Happy New Year Compilation)
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
Still here myself, albeit a tad busy the last couple of days (typing this from Heathrow departure lounge heading back home after a business trip). Still, I agree that it has gone rather quiet unfortunately. :(

Edit: One thing I would say (if hamei is still lurking) is that I'd urge him to reconsider. Granted I don't know what's gone on behind the scenes (if anything), and I do wonder if there's more to this than just one thread he's disgruntled about. However, Nekochan needs its community - even if people don't necessarily see eye to eye with absolutely all others.

There's few enough SGI fans around these days as it is without people leaving over a squabble. Hence for the good of the community, can't we all just get along? If hamei were to return after a short break and admit that leaving for good was maybe a slight overreaction, I personally would respect him for having the balls to come back and say so.

Like I say, I imagine there's more to this than meets the eye, so I fully appreciate I may be missing some of the situation, but that's my 2 cents anyway...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Still here. Often read without logging in. Still chasing the Certain Impact sound problem. Octane and O2 are running good. Keeping the room toasty in the frigid Canadian winters.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
I'm here, but I have no life.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
i hope he'll reconsider. even if you don't share his opinion his posts are just a great read over and over again :D
r-a-c.de
ClassicHasClass wrote: I'm here, but I have no life.

Hey, that's MY line! :lol:
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
ClassicHasClass wrote: I'm here, but I have no life.

I have a life and it comes at the expensive of time spent on a computer hobby :)

Also most of my hobby time is currently spent on migrating my home server to a new system.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
I'm still here as well, but where is "here"... running around the globe with a lot of work, so that I don't have so much time at home, and I spend it nowadays more with the family than on my computers.
I'd miss hamei's prose, too, if he didn't reconsider. Hopefully he will.
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
here I am spending "a lot" of my free time writing strange things
(what the frog should I have to do with a BTREE? Who on the Earth knows?)

last but not the least: interviewing all the English girls I can meet
around the Linate Airport/Milan in order to "learn" English :D
(I have a few job tasks on my desk there, in the Theory :lol: )
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but there was was far too much unsubstantiated China and US bashing from him. I surely was not a favorite, but the only reason I came back was that he left. His parting shot wasn't a kudos for the board either.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
uunix wrote: It's been awfully quiet here the last few days? Has everyone gone elsewhere? Was hamei more than 1 person? Is it because Christmas is around the corner?

It's cold outside. We're all running our machines as long as we can while the air conditioning is free. ;)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
skywriter wrote: Sorry to be a party pooper, but there was was far too much unsubstantiated China and US bashing from him. I surely was not a favorite, but the only reason I came back was that he left. His parting shot wasn't a kudos for the board either.

Yes, he had a bizarro take on US/China relations, but in so many other ways he was a pleasantly sensible kind of person and great to have around. I'll miss him just for his immunity to starry-eyed futurist bullshit alone (a depressingly rare thing among the IT crowd, even with people like engineers and programmers who should have a strong practical understanding of the difference between promised fiction and plausible reality...)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/Jupiter-6/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01, Korg DW-8000/03-RW/MS-20 Mini, E-mu Proteus MPS/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
pentium wrote: It's cold outside. We're all running our machines as long as we can while the air conditioning is free. ;)

Here in Germany we had the warmest November since 1881 (see: http://news.discovery.com/earth/global- ... 151203.htm ).
It is still warmer than in a normal December.
:Fuel: 600 MHz, 2 GB RAM, 72 GB 15k RPM HD
:O2: 180 MHz
What a bad idea to leave now...since Dex is back, I see that the Dev-corner got more support and new optimism to manage and
port later versions of open source software and Hamei has often been a contributor of software suggestions worth being ported
to Irix.
Now if finally the "porting FAQ" everybody is waiting for will be published (maybe 2 versions for both popular compilers), I can imagine
more members are willing to either try and port or contribute to porting projects.
I'm sure that he is reasonable enough to overcome a quarrel with another forum member (isn't there a friend/foe option in the profile ??)
since he is estimated for his contributions by many others and finally, his furious monologues regarding corporate america,
capitalism in general and former SGI management in particular are still unmatched in this forum.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x02L: :A3502L: :PrismDT:
I come here for the great advice/tips/hacks on the boxes we all love. Everything else just becomes white noise. Which is pretty much every other forum on the interweb these days anyway.
He's back! Complete with lengthy rants to make up for lost time. They were missed ;)
Hamei, don't worry. Some people like to listen to Noam Chomsky and read his books. Others prefer to watch the weekend sports results. And everybody thinks their way is the best way to deal with life. That's nothing anybody should take personally.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
blah, blah, blah hammy. give us a rest.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
hamei wrote: okay, gottit

Phew! I'ze scared there for a minute... :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: