Apple

Hackintosh Snow Leopard + iboot, intel dp43tf - Page 1

Hi!

Maybe a stupid question. i got a AI file made from a Mac using AI CS5. My PC only have AI 10. Then i ask the maker to save it for AI 10 so that i can open it with no issues.

When opening, some warnings about fonts not found and the outcome is not as expected. He provided me the fonts from his Mac but is it possible to use it on my PC?

My question then is, what should i do on my PC to be able to open the AI created under a Mac with no warning and errors?
Also, anyone here using Eurostile Extended #2? is it possible to download a free OTF or TTF for this?

if the fonts are truetype/opentype, then you just install them on your pc. i've done this a couple of times but can't recall the exact location on a windows machine (there should be a "fonts" folder somewhere). go back to illy, re-open the file and you should be good to go (check for import options when opening, iirc you get a dialog box when opening files from different versions of illustrator).
fu wrote:
there should be a "fonts" folder somewhere). go back to illy, re-open the file and you should be good to go (check for import options when opening

%windir%\fonts

Usually when you copy the fonts to that dir with Windows Explorer they'll be automatically registered, if you use any other program however, you may need to force rebuilding the font cache.

I think CS5 re-scans the font directory if you add a new font - I know CS6 does on windows at work. As fu mentioned, if it's opentype/truetype they'll work fine, I can't remember if type 1 fonts need converting or not though.

Or you could just download it..

http://www.fontpalace.com/font-download ... nded+%232/

morning guys!

fu wrote:
oh no geo, i've had a whole thread discussing illustrator weirdness with hamei and a few other nekochanners a while ago :P
oh! hehe tried to find that yesterday but haven't found it but its ok :)

fu wrote:
if the fonts are truetype/opentype, then you just install them on your pc. i've done this a couple of times but can't recall the exact location on a windows machine (there should be a "fonts" folder somewhere). go back to illy, re-open the file and you should be good to go (check for import options when opening, iirc you get a dialog box when opening files from different versions of illustrator).
hmm actually i asked him for that type of fonts, but what he send was a zip containing some folders (_MACOSX, ..) and files under Eurostile are ._Eurostile2, .EurostileExtTwo... i'm not sure how he pulled this off from his Mac, but is it possible to export those fonts to OTF or TTF?

Stoo wrote:
%windir%\fonts

Usually when you copy the fonts to that dir with Windows Explorer they'll be automatically registered, if you use any other program however, you may need to force rebuilding the font cache.
thanks IMO! but still need to find the OTF or TTF file for this

Stoo wrote:
I think CS5 re-scans the font directory if you add a new font - I know CS6 does on windows at work. As fu mentioned, if it's opentype/truetype they'll work fine, I can't remember if type 1 fonts need converting or not though.
hi stoo! ok thanks, will try that as soon as i can get the OTF/TTF file for this font

Stoo wrote:
wow! thanks stoo!! i almost jump for joy but geez cannot open this site here in my side :( shows link is broken but i guess great wall doesn't like this link, can you help me download this for me and post it here? really will be life saver :)

funny, looks like the guy used some old mac zipper that gave you the _blues. iirc 7zip on windows can deal with this kind of muckup.

grab it, and you might also like a font manager for windows.

(zip of the ttf font . all free, we're not breaking anything)
fu wrote:
funny, looks like the guy used some old mac zipper that gave you the _blues. iirc 7zip on windows can deal with this kind of muckup.
ah i see, ok now downloading the 7-zip and see if some changes, thanks fu!!

fu wrote:
grab it, and you might also like a font manager for windows.
ok will check this out later thanks!

fu wrote:
(zip of the ttf font. all free, we're not breaking anything)
waaah!! thanks fu!! you save my day!! ok will try this out and report soon, really 2x thanks! :)

7-zip: still did extract the same way as winrar did, its ok ;)

ttf font file: copied to c:\\windows\fonts\
then
Attachment:
eureka.PNG
eureka.PNG [ 96.78 KiB | Viewed 408 times ]

it works!! thanks so much again fu! and everyone here :) geez what can i do without nekochan.. :)

theinonen wrote:
Why not just convert the text to shapes and no need to go hunting down any fonts?
hi theinonen! hmm sorry actually i'm not a good AI user and i only use AI if i make the Operation Flow for our customer. not sure what you mean by text to shape but does it sound time consuming? you mean ill manually draw using vectors those fonts? hehe i think it will take me months to do that hehe but anyway it will be a good add on skill for me :) but unfortunately i still don't have the luxury of time to learn this :( na ja maybe someday will do ;)

i wonder if vector drawing is possible on embedded systems?

i guess that one guy designed something and sent the file to geo for edit/checks. anyway, glad you sorted it out geo
I have never used Illustrator myself, but would it also be possible to save the file as PDF and embed the fonts in the file. PDF could be opened with many different programs, so is good format for interoperability.

I am drawing with Artworks 2 / ProCAD+ on RISC OS, and is it works with so little resources it almost qualifies drawing vectors with embedded system.
theinonen wrote:
I have never used Illustrator myself, but would it also be possible to save the file as PDF and embed the fonts in the file. PDF could be opened with many different programs, so is good format for interoperability.

Fonts are a bear, at least for us. Many (most ?) people in the west don't have chinese-japanese-korean fonts installed. If you embed them in the pdf then the pdf grows to monumental size, not so good for email. Same thing if you use some abnormal fonts for artistic purposes.

We've taken to saving the document as a tif, then converting that to pdf. It's not as small that way as if the other person has the fonts but it's way smaller than embedding the font in the pdf. And you can be pretty certain that the recipient won't open their pdf to see a row of little empty boxes :D
I have my beloved PC:

intel dp43tf
celeron e1400 (c2d)
4gb ddr2
geforce 9400 1gb
apple cinema display (A1081)
creative sound blaster audigy (PCI)
1TB Sata disk (Hitachi HDT721010SLA360) on slot 0
sata DVD burner on slot 3

I also have a 10.6.3 Retail DVD and iboot (both v.2 and v.3 from tonymacx86.com). I've also tried the current version of chameleon (which I used on my thinkpad x40 and 10.5.8 with fabulous success). No luck.

I have set the BIOS to ACHI mode and made sure HPET was on (all other settings are at default). I even also tried updating the bios to the latest version.

So, here is what happens: the installation works fine, everything is recognized by default (except for the sound cards, both the audigy and the onboard; I am not concerned about as I can set it up later or use a focusrite saffire for the time being). I format the disk into two partitions, first 120gb and second is the remainder of the disk (with GUID partition table). Install onto first partition. When I reboot after the installation, the iboot CD does not find the new installation. iboot legacy, iboot v.3, chameleon, all do the exact same thing. They all see the install when set to IDE mode but obviously OSX isn't going to like that.

If I set SATA mode from ACHI back to IDE, iboot sees the install. But the new install does not boot up because IDE disks are unsupported. (Yes, I've pressed f10 to re-search for things to boot from)

I can't help but get the feeling that what I'm doing wrong is something blindingly simple, because everything else works so well.

Installer system profiler (for giggles):
Attachment:
Puyol System Profiler.spx.xml [601.77 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times
(in the profiler it says I have ATAPI DVD drives, but I went out and got a SATA DVD drive thinking that might fix the problem... no difference in behaviour.

I think what you might want to do is grab the lion or mountain lion dmg files and then the Multibeast utility and build a usb stick with what you need. Booting with the -f -v -x options usually gets you a little further too (safe graphics, force driver load, verbose).

thanks fu!!

theinonen wrote:
I am drawing with Artworks 2 / ProCAD+ on RISC OS, and is it works with so little resources it almost qualifies drawing vectors with embedded system.
hmmm i see.. so do you think its possible to draw fonts using vectors on smaller systems like ARM MCU's? or lets say MSP430? or worst is 8bit MCU's? if so, this will be a great help on saving ROM space esp with fonts with different sizes. but i think algo for printing fonts is very CPU intensive for the MCU right?

I can't boot into the install to run multibeast. Everything runs perfectly swimmingly fine until step 17, here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

Which is where the whole operation falls flat on it's face: the new install doesn't show up in iboot. Can't figure out how, trying all the hotkeys and everything else. If I set AHCI (ACHI?? whatever) back to IDE mode, the install magically appears, but the install conks out after a few minutes with a kernel panic "still waiting for root device..." repeated ad infiniuum. Which is fine with me, because officially, IDE mode disks are not supported. Only AHCI.

Last nite, I had a lightbulb moment. Put the disk in a USB dock and run the chimera installer on a real mac. This didn't work either. I found out that there is a similar bootloader installer for windows, I'll try that tonight but I don't hold much faith anymore.

I'm guessing there is something messed up on the disk... maybe MBR? I deleted the second partition with diskutility to no avail. I'm halfway to getting another disk and trying that, and halfway to getting my parents a new machine so I can get my mini back. Or another mac.

My hackintosh woes have been solved by ordering a mac pro. :mrgreen: