Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

new BeOS - Page 1

I know it's not open-source, but this is the best place to mention it.
anyway:

i just found it,
it's been renamed!

BeOS = ZETA

http:///www.yellowtab.com
and it was advertised on the german tv channel VOX!!!

i am going ot get this soon, the integration is incredible.
:D
Let us know how it goes. I played with BeOS back in 1998 on a 601 PowerComputing PowerMac.
Hello BeOS fan(s).

I have a brand new book entitled "The BeOS Bible" which covers
version R4 of the OS written by Scot Hacker which I'm willing to give away for free provided you pay for the shipping costs. This paperback book is a large 916 pages and is copywrite 1999.

I'm getting ready to move and need to thin out my library and SGI gear. Drop me an email at mailto:[email protected] . I live in Nevada, USA 89445.
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
thegoldbug, shame you're stateside, I would have loved that book.

Everyone, since I got the envisioned HP LaserJet Printer (4+) with 100MB Ethernet module for free (yes!) today, I was able to use the 60 (ok 69) Euros to order a new laptop harddrive (30 GB, 5400 rpm, 8 MB cache), and once I got that I will install Zeta. I have RC3 here, and I'm dying to try it out.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
You can't beat the price. .... I was just in Wells, England interviewing for a job and the prices of EVERYTHING are very expensive, twice what things cost in the US. And houses are about twice as expensive and 1/2 the size. Yikes!!! And the salary is just a tad more than what I was making here!

Alas, if I take the job I will not be able to bring over my big Iron or my gold dredges.

thegoldbug

I'm guessing that paying for shipping on this book will be much cheaper than buying it in Europe. I know what you mean though as all the cheap Onyxs seem to be on the East Coast and shipping on those is Expensive.
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
thegoldbug wrote: Alas, if I take the job I will not be able to bring over my big Iron or my gold dredges.

Well you could ship them by sea they take awhile to get over no doubt. I hear it isn't too expensive say to get cars shipped over. Was at the cinema the other day and i saw this big Chrysler 4x4 (SUV) that had just been imported from the States (car dealership was in Missouri are all places) definetly was one of the biggest vehicles in the carpark, wonder how the owner likes the price of petrol in ireland :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
I've actually been pondering installing Be r5 lately. I miss futzing with it. It was really a fun OS to work with.

Gobe Productive is still my favorite office suite. Also, SoundPlayer was just awesome. I loved playing CDs backwards with multiple songs from the same CD to freak people out with.

And I second the Scot Hacker book. Excellent and fun read from cover to cover.
http://syllable.sourceforge.net/

Another one... I'm gonna put gentoo, zeta and THAT on my laptop. Just have to find a common supported file system for the data sharing.

I've been playing with BeOS R5.0.1 on the 7300, much better stability-wise than just plain R5 :P

Do you still have that book, goldbug? I'd be interested in it, and I'm semi-close.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo
I was playing with zeta recently. It's nice, lots of cool software and stuff, but driver support is a pain still. Well... my girlie's laptop is running gentoo now.

Lucky her, Hakimoto.

I had issues with the compile of gentoo on my laptop. I ended up putting Mandrake on it instead. :cry:
Scott,

yeah, gentoo can be a pain to set up, but once it's done it's real sweet. I only ever used Debian and Gentoo. I like the idea of a fully optimised system, that's why these days I always go the gentoo way.

Hakimoto wrote: yeah, gentoo can be a pain to set up, but once it's done it's real sweet. I only ever used Debian and Gentoo. I like the idea of a fully optimised system, that's why these days I always go the gentoo way.
Yeah, I am a gentoo user also. My bro got me hooked while I still had an old Pentium III ... need those optimizations to get it running swiftly. I have noticed, however, that there is a big anti-gentoo following "out there". Oh, well. At least it seems friendly around here.
I agree, but then again, this is Nekochan.net and not some freaky linux forum. ;-) And thanks to all our nice members I also got my Linux questions answered when I had any. Oh... feels good around here.

Scott Tarr wrote: Gobe Productive is still my favorite office suite.

With the demise of BeOS, the Gobe people have ported to Windows .... but I wonder if they'd consider an Irix release ? With so many Octanes coming off eBay and people using Irix at home, is there enough demand to pay for porting ? It'd be much nicer than Open Orifice .....
0ctane wrote:
Hakimoto wrote: yeah, gentoo can be a pain to set up, but once it's done it's real sweet. I only ever used Debian and Gentoo. I like the idea of a fully optimised system, that's why these days I always go the gentoo way.
Yeah, I am a gentoo user also. My bro got me hooked while I still had an old Pentium III ... need those optimizations to get it running swiftly. I have noticed, however, that there is a big anti-gentoo following "out there". Oh, well. At least it seems friendly around here.

Seems that most of the anti-gentoo sentiment flows from the Debian community - I've also read that alot of Linux users looking for instant results tend to bash gentoo after unsuccessful installation attempts.
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.
Zeta is not the only choice for the future of BeOS.

Beside the 'free' BeOS r5 Personal Edition' which works on x86, there are efforts to rrecreate BeOS in a FOSS version. There has been significant progress made on an opensource and source-compatible system to replace the BeOS r5.0.3. Much of the 'kits' that are already done can be used as drop-in replacements for their counterparts in BeOS r5 due to it's modular design.
It started out as 'OpenBeOS', but to avoid any legal repercussions in the future the name was changed to 'Haiku OS'. Those of you who've spent time in BeOS and seen the NetPositive error messages will have an idea of where the new name fits into BeOS history.

Here's the link to the Haiku page: http://haiku-os.org/learn.php

and here's the link to the folks trying to keep the 'post-Be, Inc.' efforts to keep the Be style of OS alive: http://www.beunited.org/

Also to Hakimoto. If you want to run BeOS and Sylable, go to http://www.bebits.com/ and get the AtheOS-FS file system add-on http://www.bebits.com/app/2028 to use the AtheOS file system (which IS also the one used by Syl,) while in BeOS. Somewhere there is a download of a Syl. image file & QEMU package you can use to try Syl. in Windows. I don't have it on hand but will try to put it up later. There is also a ReiserFS add-on for BeOS http://www.bebits.com/app/3214 as well as a few others.

DLazlo
For those who haven't heard but might find it interesting, Dominic Giampaolo, the man who wrote the book "Practical File System Design with the Be File System", and of course also designed the wonderful file system and atributes that make working in BeOS so nice, was before he went to Be, Inc. was employed at Silicon Graphics as a software engineer.
DLazlo wrote: For those who haven't heard but might find it interesting, Dominic Giampaolo, the man who wrote the book "Practical File System Design with the Be File System", and of course also designed the wonderful file system and atributes that make working in BeOS so nice, was before he went to Be, Inc. was employed at Silicon Graphics as a software engineer.

That's true. Actually, XFS and BeFS are pretty similar except IRIX doesn't take full advantage of its potential unlike BeOS.
I just purchased ZetaOS R1 final release version it should be here in 2 weeks from bmtmicro.com It should be really fun to use. We may be able to quad boot on new macs. OSX, Linux, Zeta, oh and windows. Im sure there are more.