Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

9x 1.5TB + RAID5 + LVM + XFS? - Page 2

The plural of "anecdote" isn't "data", but I'll add another anecdote to the pile anyway.

At home I have a 16-disk array consisting of 8x 750GB, 4x 1TB and 4x 1.5TB SATA drives configured in mostly-RAID10 using ZFS. I can't say I've had any more issues with the larger drives than the smaller ones - all 16 seem to be fully functional. However, once I exceeded the PSU's maximum 12V current output, the 1.5TB units dropped offline first. I'm not sure why - maybe they need more juice, or are just more sensitive to power fluctuations. That said, after installing a beefier PSU, they came back without any permanent damage. By the same token, this server only gets used by 5-7 people, and doesn't get hit all that hard.

As for how to set it up, I'd also advise against RAID5 unless the data is read-mostly, and even if it is, I'd prefer RAID6 over RAID5+hotspare. (RAID5 without a hotspare is, IMHO, too risky unless there are /very/ frequent backups). Space-wise, RAID6 will get you 10.5TB - which you'd need 14 disks to match with RAID10. As much as I prefer RAID10 for both performance and reliability reasons, RAID6 might make more sense in your case if you can't afford/use 14 disks.

It may be too late now, but I've heard it suggested that your drives should come from a mix of manufacturers, to reduce the odds of multiple drives puking simultaneously due to the same manufacturing fault/firmware bug/etc. Honestly I don't know how much this helps, but intuitively it makes sense.

As for filesystems, that's always a question. Recently I've been partial to ZFS, but if you're using Linux, and can't use FreeBSD or Solaris, XFS is a very good choice. ext4 or jfs might work well, too, but I'd have to look at some benchmarks and such to be sure. (Also, ext4 is the least well tested of the lot. It does seem to deserve the 'stable' label, but that's still something to consider)
Just FYI, ZFS RAID does not perform quite as well as Linux software RAID or a RAID controller, despite its oft-hyped variable stripe width. While ZFS shines in many areas (replication, snapshotting, quotas, and so on), its RAID is not one of its strong points. The recovery and hot-spare support in RAID-Z is also relatively new and unproven, and for quite a while was just flat-out broken. I wouldn't trust RAID-Z with mission-critical data, especially as it's prone to loss if the ZFS metadata gets damaged.
Of course, there's nothing that keeps you from running ZFS on a controller-backed volume besides cost.
jade_angel wrote: As much as I prefer RAID10 for both performance and reliability reasons, RAID6 might make more sense in your case if you can't afford/use 14 disks.

If you don't mind a massive overhead in parity calculations, RAID-6 does the job.
RAID-DP (dual-parity in NetApp) gets around this problem by doing all the calculations in NVRAM and write all the data on all the involved disks *once*, and that's it.

It may be too late now, but I've heard it suggested that your drives should come from a mix of manufacturers, to reduce the odds of multiple drives puking simultaneously due to the same manufacturing fault/firmware bug/etc. Honestly I don't know how much this helps, but intuitively it makes sense.

There's a good point in that, since that would have saved us from our RAID-6 failure when three drives died.
Syncing up a RAID-6 raidset takes forever and that added load on the drives took the other drives as well...
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
SAQ wrote:
mila wrote: On a AMD backup server I have had two 1TB Seagate SATA drives go down in a few days in a single raidz2 6 disk pool, I had one spare drive on the shelf popped that in
and then the second drive failed after a few days that was scary waiting for more spare drives :)

Haven't made the terabyte leap yet for (among other reasons) the fact that they seem to die much more often than smaller drives.

How long had they been running? (i.e. is this something that should have been caught in factory QA if they still did QA, or was it something that cropped up after install+test+a noticeable amount of use - 6months or better).

I would say 1.5 year, Seagate 1TB ES drives. There could be issues with FW(or ZFS!), since I have managed to use the two failed drives again!

/michael
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
bri3d wrote: Just FYI, ZFS RAID does not perform quite as well as Linux software RAID or a RAID controller, despite its oft-hyped variable stripe width. While ZFS shines in many areas (replication, snapshotting, quotas, and so on), its RAID is not one of its strong points. The recovery and hot-spare support in RAID-Z is also relatively new and unproven, and for quite a while was just flat-out broken. I wouldn't trust RAID-Z with mission-critical data, especially as it's prone to loss if the ZFS metadata gets damaged.
Of course, there's nothing that keeps you from running ZFS on a controller-backed volume besides cost.

Actually, I thought about doing that - my array is using an Adaptec 31605 SAS RAID controller right now, but I'm running it in JBOD mode. I'm using software mirrored pairs of disks right now, since that gives me the ability to swap out disks for more capacity (I did that in this array's predecessor, swapping 4x250 for 4x750 on the fly), but I was thinking about using the controller since I'm rebuilding the system soon anyway, once I get back from deployment. I thought of maybe setting the drives up as 4x1000 RAID5 + 4x1500 RAID5 + 4x(2x750) ZFS mirrors, but maybe that makes no sense. I'm still thinking and doing the math. (The array is read-mostly, and I can easily add an OCZ Vertex SSD as a separate ZFS intent log device, which will massively speed up writes)
This article explains the whole issue in a 12TB+ RAID-5 array: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162
jade_angel wrote: The plural of "anecdote" isn't "data", but I'll add another anecdote to the pile anyway.

Not apropos of anything in this thread, but that is the best quote-worthy line I have seen in a while.

Well played! :D
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
tunkaflux wrote: This article explains the whole issue in a 12TB+ RAID-5 array: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162

wow, interesting. thanks for sharing
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org
eh, Robbin Harris is a well known boob. his treatment of the facts in this case is typical of the sensationalist journalism he's known for. for modern drives you ARE fine with RAID 6, now and going into the future until Unrecoverable Read Error Rates are revised in the next technology bump.

btw EVERYONE in the industry knew this 5-6 years ago. that's how long it takes to become 'general knowledge'.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: eh, Robbin Harris is a well known boob. his treatment of the facts in this case is typical of the sensationalist journalism he's known for. for modern drives you ARE fine with RAID 6, now and going into the future until Unrecoverable Read Error Rates are revised in the next technology bump.

btw EVERYONE in the industry knew this 5-6 years ago. that's how long it takes to become 'general knowledge'.

Thats also why Sun started working on ZFS for 5-6 years ago since it takes along time to get a mature product, and a filesystem is really a mission critical thing you can't just replace it in a matter of hours it takes days!

/michael
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
mila wrote:
Thats also why Sun started working on ZFS for 5-6 years ago since it takes along time to get a mature product, and a filesystem is really a mission critical thing you can't just replace it in a matter of hours it takes days!

/michael

no, sun did zfs to try to suck functionality out of the storage array in a storage business that they consistently failed at. the plan was to replace external 3rd party storage with thumper like boxes running zfs. it might have gained some share for some market segments that their servers played in, but not the high-end enterprise market which is where all the real money is. their storage division always failed spectacularly. xfs was too little too late. it's a niche-y non-product for sun die hards.

freudian slip?

Quote:
xfs was too little too late. it's a niche-y non-product for sun die hards.

freudian slip?

Bwahaha! Yeah ZFS of course :)

I have new little kittes to distract me.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Octane2: :Onyx2: (2x) :0300:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Hi,

jan-jaap wrote:
I've got 4 * 1TB in a (soft) RAID5 with LVM and XFS on my home server running Debian 'Lenny'. Works fine, but most I/O is reading and it is rarely hammered from multiple clients simultaneously.

I guess you're aware of the RAID-5 write hole? Do you take steps to mitigate this or do you just take your chances?

jan-jaap wrote:
If you regularly delete large numbers of files, you will hate the XFS synchronous file delete which is slow. There are probably ways around that.

I'd love to know ways around it. :-) I have a 90GB partition that I use for rsync snapshot style backups every hour. Last time I tried to delete a few hundred snapshots it took *all* day and had only got about a third of the way through.

Regards,
@ndy
andyjpb wrote:
I guess you're aware of the RAID-5 write hole? Do you take steps to mitigate this or do you just take your chances?

Full backups and a UPS :)

jan-jaap wrote:
I'd love to know ways around it. :-)

Have you read Filesystem performance tweaking with XFS on Linux ?

Currently in commercial service: Image :Octane2: :Onyx2: (2x) :0300:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Hi,

jan-jaap wrote:
andyjpb wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:
I'd love to know ways around it. :-)

Have you read Filesystem performance tweaking with XFS on Linux ?

Looks good, thanks! I'll try the option that involves mount time options.

Regards,
@ndy
You also should check what version of hard drive you are using - there are also reasons for not using the cheapest € per GB SATA desktop drives (Making an assumption based on your disk capacity) for RAID purposes. Have a look here : Difference between Desktop disks and RAID versions

FOR SALE:
700mhz & 800Mhz Fuel :Fuel:
16 x 600Mhz Origin 3400, located in Texas. (I'm in the UK - hence the reason for sale! Bought in haste, make me an offer!!)
32 x 600Mhz Origin 3400 in the UK
32 x 700Mhz Origin 3900 in the UK