Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Maxx Desktop--Support and Discussion - Page 1

Please discuss any issues, questions and comments in this thread regarding Maxx Desktop.

Let me add the sign up info:
Hi Everyone,

It is a great day today (except the winter storm killing my back) for MaXX Interactive. We are officially starting the Developer Release Series with a new web site that will allow us to better document, communicate and share files related to the DR series. We have created a Google Group called MaXX Interactive Desktop Release Series that off loads the main web site and better suited for the task. He is the URL. http://groups.google.ca/group/maxx-desktop-dr?hl=en

We invite you to visit the MaXX Interactive Desktop Release Series Google Group to browse information and discuss various topics.

Here are the steps required to join the MaXX Interactive Desktop Developer Release and to have access to the download files.

1- You have to send us you system configuration (uname -a and the model of your graphic display and its driver version) to the following email; [email protected]
2- Then, we will send you an invite to the MaXX Desktop DR Google Group
3- After completing your registration, you are becoming a member of the group and have access to pretty much everything for downloading, compiling, running MaXX, providing feedbacks and participating in various forums.

We hope this new process will enhance communication and allow everyone to add a little something to the success of MaXX Desktop.

Cheers,
Eric Masson
Who or what is Maxx?

Apples are good mainly for pie.
http://www.5dwm.org/
I only have ATI cards. Specifically I have a 9700 Pro and X850 XT which are about 75% supported via the open source reverse engineered driver. I.e. I can do 3D + compiz, just not as well as my hardware really should.

I'm willing to except limited support and/or less features, but would like to give this a try. Can I? Or do I need an nVidia card? I'm probably not going to buy a new video card for this, but would like to try.
tillin9 you should try it out. The DR-1 doesn't use much and it is fun to have an authentic SGI look and feel on your desk! :roll:

Enjoy!

Eric Masson
5dwm.org

SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Hackintosh Q6700 @3.21GHz (saw as MacPro2,1) in G5 PowerMac casing with 9800-GTX2 SLI
Hackintosh [email protected], Dual GTX285
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
I'm waiting for my invite :mrgreen:
I am consolidating everything and upload content to the google group server... would you prefer to receive an invite to an empty group?

:idea:

Eric Masson
5dwm.org

SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Hackintosh Q6700 @3.21GHz (saw as MacPro2,1) in G5 PowerMac casing with 9800-GTX2 SLI
Hackintosh [email protected], Dual GTX285
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
Ummm...no ;)
Sorry, I know you have said development would focus on nVidia drivers (and I agreed in the other post that the proprietary fglrx drivers are rather poor) and the request of graphics card in the invite made me think I'd get a "ATI users are out of luck" response. I'll gladly give this a try if I can.
My best card is actually an ATI as well.
By the way, the invites are out and about.
I just got finished updating my nvidia drivers today, I should be signing up tomorrow.
DR-1 should be out today. Eric had some personal issues and thus it was delayed. I'll post a screenshot as soon as I get it installed. :mrgreen:
A screenshot of DR-1. No desktop icons yet, toolchest and some other minor things but very usable. This is running on top of Debian Etch. Kudos to Eric for all his hard work.
I'm sure you'll all love this goodie for Linux if you haven't heard of it already!

http://www.maxxdesktop.com/site/
MaXX Desktop DR2 is out!

Here is a screenshot of DR2. This is what you see after you first log in. I haven't done any customizations yet.

what OS is that running?

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
That's Ubuntu 8.04.
Slightly modified MaXX DR1 running on... Eee PC 904HD :-)

Any news from this project?

Much as I hate to say it, the phrase "pie-in-the-sky" does come to mind.........

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *