IRIX and Software

long time to launch modules - Page 1

I heard that you can order this overlay from SGI? Is this true? Any other ways to obtain it?
Quote:
Any other ways to obtain it?

Get a free support folio account from SGI and download it?

While you're at it, download patch5086 and install that before you install the 6.5.22 overlays. Search the board for '5086' to get the details.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Thanks! I don't have a CD burner though...do I need to burn them to install the overlay?
no
Grummz wrote:
Thanks! I don't have a CD burner though...do I need to burn them to install the overlay?

They are not CD images, just a directory with files, so you can't just burn it to CD and expect it to boot anyway.

But if you have anough hd space you can just untar them to a temp directory and install from there. Failing that, you could install them over NFS from a server

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Hello All,

I'm happy to announce a version of Notes that actually saves the notes you create.

Get the source here:

http://www.sillypages.org/sgi/notes-0.9.tar.gz

Please read the README - it contains all the information you need to run the applet.

enjoy!

jimmer
Uhm...having a bit of trouble compiling.

cstdio needs to be in usr/local/lib?

Ammended the Makefile to include /usr/nekoware/lib/gcc/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.4.6/include/c++ where the file lives, still getting errors I'm afraid.

#gmake notes
CC -O2 -LANG:std -I. -I../../../vk/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/nekoware/lib/gcc/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.4.6/include/c++ -c Main.C
cc-1155 CC: WARNING File = /usr/nekoware/lib/gcc/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.4.6/include/c++/iostream, Line = 42
The indicated "#pragma" directive is not recognized.

#pragma GCC system_header
^

cc-1005 CC: ERROR File = /usr/nekoware/lib/gcc/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.4.6/include/c++/iostream, Line = 44
The source file "bits/c++config.h" is unavailable.

#include <bits/c++config.h>
^

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "Main.C".
Compilation terminated.
gmake: *** [Main.o] Error 2

Any pointers?

cstdio needs to be in usr/local/lib?

Hello Spidy - thanks for taking an interest in Notes ;)

As far as i know cstdio doesn't belong in /usr/local/lib at least not for MIPSpro.

Spidy wrote:
Ammended the Makefile to include /usr/nekoware/lib/gcc/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.4.6/include/c++ where the file lives, still getting errors I'm afraid.

It seems that you're using gcc and I haven't tested compilation with gcc as I've been using MIPSpro for a while now. I am terribly sorry, but I have no idea why your seeing these errors.

Spidy wrote:
Any pointers?

If you don't have a copy of MIPSpro handy, I'm afraid you may have to wait a couple more days till I release an officially blessed-and-holy-pee-sprinkled sillypages.org tardist :(

jimmer
jimmer, I have MipsPro.

I may be missing something. Maybe if you tell me exactly (ie, like I'm a very stupid 4 year old) what to do to compile, I'll try your instructions.

Was I not supposed to uncompress all three files to the same location? How do I go about this?
1. There should not be a problem with them all in the same place.

2. Have you installed patch5086, this affects the inst tool.

3. You need the original media accessible to resolve all the dependancies.
usually you uncompress the three tars in three different directories. The patch is needed only if you do 'live' install, otherwise if you do a miniroot install from another SGI machine it is not needed. If you are doing clean install, obviously you need to use the miniroot process, and then you would need the foundation 1 & 2 CDs and some applications CD (older or same as 6.5.22). You can do a network install from a Linux machine, just google it, there is a tutorial, not overly complex, but there are quite few things to be done.

When using miniroot you can do: keep *;install standard; install prereqs, which usually resolves all your conflicts. If there are still some remaining you can do 'keep conflicting' which will deselect all conflicting packages and their dependencies, thought it might be risky sometimes (I've never had a problem, but theoretically you could).
I did install the patch, and need to install it on the one and only SGI machine that I have (an Indigo 2).

So, it sounds like I just need to load a CD of 6.5 with the dependencies? Which CD, install tools?
If you have copies of all the CDs either on your harddisk or another NFS server you add them to the install search path and inst will resolve the dependancies. Otherwise you have to introduce each install CD to the installer and then do the CD shuffle as it asks for them.
the install tools are on the first CD if the overlays, so the SGI distros already have them. You need foundation 1&2 and applications CD at minimum.

Which stream do I select? Maintenance or Features?

Both are merged. This was the reason why patch 5086 is needed when doing a live update from < .21 to >=22.

regards
Joerg

1) I need all 3 files downloaded from SGI (check)
2) I need the patch (check)
3) I need three original 6.5 CDs: Foundation 1 & 2 and Apps at minimum

Procedure:
Run Inst
Open 6.5.22 overlay files
Add as Source the 6.5 Distro CDs: Foundation 1 & 2 and Apps
Type "go"
Select Features or Maintenance?

Is that it? No "keep all" or anything like that?
Grummz wrote:
So, to clarify:

1) I need all 3 files downloaded from SGI (check)
2) I need the patch (check)
3) I need three original 6.5 CDs: Foundation 1 & 2 and Apps at minimum

Procedure:
Run Inst
Open 6.5.22 overlay files
Add as Source the 6.5 Distro CDs: Foundation 1 & 2 and Apps
Type "go"
Select Features or Maintenance?

Is that it? No "keep all" or anything like that?

Install the patch first. And than restart inst/swmgr.

A 'Keep all' will select all packages which are currently part of the distribution. By default only these are selected which are part of a default installation. The installer have some magic keywords like "install same" or "install upgrades" so check the docs.

Most time you dont have to select any special during a update.... only when you have some video cards in your machine... these packages are in on of the "unbundeld" folders of the Overlay disc. Content of these folder isnt loaded to the distribution automaticly.

regards
Joerg

I run a 6.5.30 version of irix on a R14k 600 Fuel and I can't launch System Manager anymore... "Star launcher" flashes few seconds and that's all !

More, system takes 15 seconds to launch and display Icon Catalog... (on the first or third try)

Sometimes, launching Software Manager can take 8-10 seconds while it launches immediatly most of the time ...

Cpu is 0% used .....

Has someone got an idea ?