IRIX and Software

long time to launch modules - Page 2

Use "par -sSSi programmname" to see whats going on.

regards
Joerg

What would be really nice is to have just a little more features added to it like different fonts and fontsize, Bold , Italic , underline.
And a way to resize the window.

But for a 0.9 version it's 'tha bomb' !)

You're welcome ;)

ka0s wrote:
What would be really nice is to have just a little more features added to it like different fonts and fontsize, Bold , Italic , underline. And a way to resize the window.

Wrt. different text size/colour etc., i thought about it and then I ran in to issues with Motif. The stock Motif 1.2 text widget is annoyingly primitive, but I might try something with Motif 2.x 'rendertables' one of these days. Of course 'right way' to do this would be to write a new ViewKit component that does Fontconfig/Freetype AA text. But I simply don't have the time atm to learn how to code such a beastie. Sorry.

Wrt. window resizing, that's a function of the window manager borders. If I want non-bordered notes, which i want, then I sacrifice resizing. Adding a popup-dialog just to enter a new note size seems a little 'cumbersome'.

In the end I decided that fonts and resizing weren't essential to the applet and left them out.

ka0s wrote:
But for a 0.9 version it's 'tha bomb' !)

You da' Man! ;)
thorv wrote:
... can't launch System Manager anymore... "Star launcher" flashes few seconds and that's all !

More, system takes 15 seconds to launch and display Icon Catalog... (on the first or third try)

Sometimes, launching Software Manager can take 8-10 seconds while it launches immediatly most of the time ...

Has someone got an idea ?

Check the console first, usually some informative mesages there. Then try starting the app from a terminal - you'll get a lot more feedback that way. Sometimes there's something informative in the system log.

If all that easy stuff fails, then call in the cavalry :P
I see !)

No worry's, I still think this is quite an asset to the motif desktop!!!

I remember that you have to be a bit careful with your LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH setting with System Manager - if a different libdb is loaded (say, the Nekoware one rather than the IRIX one in /usr/lib32) then System Manager won't load, but you'll get an 'rld' error on your console.

I'm not sure this would account for loading delays, but it might explain the first part...
Well,

Thanks for your answers.

I've searched in the forum and I found the problem :

My pathes were pointing /usr/nekoware/lib before /usr/lib and that was the problem for the System Manager.

Btw, I still get some delays.

One, the first, is just after logging : Desktop icons, toolchest, shortcuts take time to display while cpu is 0% busy.

Seems like there's a delay in accessing disk.... Displaying Swat (samba) takes many seconds, icons on the top come one after one very slowly ....

Quick note: Bear in mind that /usr/nekoware/lib == /usr/lib32 : /usr/lib is o32 libraries, /usr/lib32 is n32 libraries, /usr/lib64 is 64bit libraries. You probably don't need to worry about this - but it is important that /usr/lib and /usr/nekoware/lib never appear in the same variable... you should have:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:...
LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH=/usr/lib32:/usr/nekoware/lib:/usr/freeware/lib32:...
LD_LIBRARY64_PATH=/usr/lib64:/usr/freeware/lib64:...

I don't know about the delay, though, and it does sound wrong - does anything odd appear in /var/adm/SYSLOG?
Well, all running well on my octane, I've activated/deactivated some daemons on the fuel.

vswap was off.... routed was on and timed was off... (!!)

Now, it's a rocket !!!

Notes: Error opening your $HOME/.notes directory.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$ dbx ./notes core
dbx version 7.3.4 (86441_Nov11 MR) Nov 11 2002 11:31:55
Core from signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation violation
(dbx) where
>  0 _closedir(0x0, 0xffffffff, 0x2, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x72, 0x10007c04) ["/xlv52/patches/7143/work/irix/lib/libc/libc_n32_M4/gen/closedir.c":31, 0xfa673b8]
1 App::loadNotes(void)(0x0, 0xffffffff, 0x2, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x72, 0x10007c04) ["/usr/people/stuart/devel/notes-0.9/Main.C":59, 0x10007bfc]
2 ::main(0x2, 0xffffffff, 0x2, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x72, 0x10007c04) ["/usr/people/stuart/devel/notes-0.9/Main.C":158, 0x10006e78]
3 __start() ["/xlv55/kudzu-apr12/work/irix/lib/libc/libc_n32_M4/csu/crt1text.s":177, 0x10006ae8]

It seems to run fine if I first manually create a "~/.notes" directory, but seems to reliably segfault if this doesn't exist!
Still can't get this compiled. I to have MIPS Pro installed. I get an error just like above abouit CSTDIO. Any help?