SGI: Discussion

Itaniums? sgi to use Dorado line to boost workstations? - Page 1

Found this while browsing this morning.

I found this part most interesting...
Better yet, Dorado is the first in a long line of workstations. The aging IRIX on MIPS line has a successor at last, and you can even run the old binaries if you don't mind a speed hit.

Any thoughts on this?
One of the regular posters on Realworldtech is an sgi employer, he mentioned the "emulation" software for running IRIX/Mips binaries on Linux/Itanium, supposedly software compiled for IRIX/Mips will actually run faster on Linux/Itanium in "emulated mode". Then again who knows what software they were testing. It seems to be equivalent to FX32! that use to allow you run i386 win32 apps on alpha windowsNT.

As for the workstation, i find it interesting that they are going with twin AGP 8x, surely dual PCI-E 16x would have been better (well from a SLI point of view)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
Dubhthach wrote: As for the workstation, i find it interesting that they are going with twin AGP 8x, surely dual PCI-E 16x would have been better (well from a SLI point of view)

Prism still uses AGP 8x too. One can only guess why this is the case. Either it was already too long in development when the PCI Express hype started or they took the cheap route and simply built upon the AGP midplane of Onyx4 Ultimate Vision they already had.
Dorado is likely a repackaged Altix 350/Prism just like Tezro being a repackaged Origin 350/Onyx 350 IP. That would explain the rather high entry price point and the numalink option the article mentions. Now, with Origin 350 and Altix 350 sharing the same chassis too (and hence the nodeboards likely have the same form factor) and SGI tending to reuse every part they can I have this scary image of an Itanic workstation in a yellow Tezro case i my mind *shudder*.. ;-)
So this beast will run Linux, I assume? Maybe cheap Fuels will appear on ebay now. :D
Scott Tarr wrote: I found this part most interesting...
Better yet, Dorado is the first in a long line of workstations. The aging IRIX on MIPS line has a successor at last, and you can even run the old binaries if you don't mind a speed hit.

Any thoughts on this?

Why would anyone want to buy this ? There's not a single thing about it that's special. You can buy anything you want from Sun and they haven't changed their minds every fifteen minutes about what their future is. AND you can still run Solaris executables even on their newest workstations ! Nothing on the desktop that SGI has done newer than the Octane shows any imagination whatsoever - so why spend four times as much money for half as much computer ? It was different when you were comparing an Octane to a Clunker, but hell - what has SGI done that's technically advanced or exciting since 1996 ? Nothing , as far as I can see.
zizban wrote: So this beast will run Linux, I assume? Maybe cheap Fuels will appear on ebay now. :D

Who cares about Fuels when ye be able to get Tezros ;)
hamei wrote: Why would anyone want to buy this ? There's not a single thing about it that's special. You can buy anything you want from Sun and they haven't changed their minds every fifteen minutes about what their future is. AND you can still run Solaris executables even on their newest workstations ! Nothing on the desktop that SGI has done newer than the Octane shows any imagination whatsoever - so why spend four times as much money for half as much computer ? It was different when you were comparing an Octane to a Clunker, but hell - what has SGI done that's technically advanced or exciting since 1996 ? Nothing , as far as I can see.

I predict the "Dorado" line will be released to a worldwide collective yawn.
you can buy the parts for that system for about $3,000 unless they somehow make it propriatary. now they're just an obscenely overpriced OEM, although I do like how it looks like (assuming you get stuck with this) you won't be forced to upgrade through SGI. but basically the only "sgi" part of it, is the OS, which is a linux derivitave...

this move seems very similar to the two or three times SGI made NT boxes, except for the itanium's exceptional FP performance... but iirc both those were failures, so what does SGI think will make this try any different?
IMHO there is only one reason to buy this workstation. If you have gigabyte-sized models that do not fit into current available workstations from fsc and others. Costs for software that runs on it should be high too, since it must be ported and maintained as well ( I wouldn't bet on high performance figures from software that runs through an emulator ).

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
TeeTylerToe wrote: you can buy the parts for that system for about $3,000 unless they somehow make it propriatary.

the itanium processors alone cost 3,000 as far as i know SGI use their own chipset but other then that it's all basically off the shelf hardware. As Hamei said there hasn't been any innovation since 1996. From what i read XIO looks very similar to Hypertransport other then fact that it isn't DDR and only runs at 400mhz, it wouldn't have taken much in way of effort to either make it "DDR" or increase the clock rate to give alot better bandwidth.
well, the description seems very similar to their prism... for the prism, SGI's got this northbridge that's a crossbar to the local memory, and a 50Gbit NUMAlink port.

now I'm looking at the tezro, and it looks like it's got a similar architecture, so I'm supposing that whatever the tezro can do with it's numalink, you'll be able to do that with this new itanium workstation...

so, is this like a origin 200 where you can make connect only two nodes (I suppose hanging an origin off a numalink router, and trying to make a 8 proc o200 wouldn't work) or you can hang a i/o enclosure off of it? (it looks like you can hang a VME backplane off of a rackmount tezro...)
Dubhthach wrote:
zizban wrote: So this beast will run Linux, I assume? Maybe cheap Fuels will appear on ebay now. :D

Who cares about Fuels when ye be able to get Tezros ;)

Let them get Fuels if that is their desire !!! :lol:

Tezro ... YUM YUM

I could promise that I read this a long time ago :?

We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
As soon as they get done a tardist compatable "Software Manager" / "Software Packager" duetto for LINUX, and good drivers for the ATI graphic boardset, I don't mind if one of thoses "Dorado" Workstations lives in my desktop...
themacosxflies wrote:
Tezro ... YUM YUM

I was checking the sgi site recently ye can get "remarketed" tezro with 4 x 700mhz R16k/1gb ram/73gb disk for 13,753 euro. (weak dollar is always good) what's giving me an itch is my bank is bending over backwards trying to give me a loan of 12k euro over 5years. I can't say i ain't tempted but i trust banks about as far as i can throw them, still it would make a nice 24th birthday present for myself in december! :lol:
Diego wrote: As soon as they get done a tardist compatable "Software Manager" / "Software Packager" duetto for LINUX, and good drivers for the ATI graphic boardset, I don't mind if one of thoses "Dorado" Workstations lives in my desktop...

Linux has lot of software repositories, some of them much smarter than tardist so I don't expect SGI to do anything about that.
zizban wrote: Linux has lot of software repositories, some of them much smarter than tardist so I don't expect SGI to do anything about that.

...Are you sure? :roll:

And why every time I try to use seriously Linux in my office it gets me screwed with a lot of wrong-feels about his whole nature? :)

I don't think (REALLY) that the software packaging used by RedHat (RPM), Debian, or SlackWare can be better than thoses from IRIX at all... sorry, I can't share your opinion there...
I dont know. I love apt-get and dpkg. Awesome.
hamei wrote: Why would anyone want to buy this ? There's not a single thing about it that's special. You can buy anything you want from Sun and they haven't changed their minds every fifteen minutes about what their future is.

Because MIPS just isn't fast enough, no matter how balanced a system it's in.
Because making MIPS faster requires far more money now than it did in the past - the bar is much higher. Sun have quaterly revenue in the *billions*, and they can't do it anymore.
Because Sun don't have anything to touch this in terms of bandwidth.

Speaking of Sun, they have changed their roadmap massively:
- SPARC from desktop to enterprise, full binary compatability
- oops, we'll sell Intel kit as well now
- no Solaris x86 for you! Linux on our x86 kit
- oops, you can have Solaris x86 now. Sorry.
- behold our new dual core CPU!
- oops, no more UltraSPARC for you.
- behold our new multi-core horizontally scaling CPUs!
- meet Fujitsu, who will make our UltraSPARC replacements
- sorry, it's AMD64 at the low end and on the desktop now

Exactly what sort of roadmap is that?
Sun are now where SGI where 5-6 years ago - not enough revenue to continue to pay for extensive R&D, new chips getting more and more expensive to build (even with massively more volume than SGI at their peak), and introducing x86 stuff because it's what people want to buy.

hamei wrote: AND you can still run Solaris executables even on their newest workstations !

I'd like to see you running Solaris/SPARC executables on an Opteron workstation. Sun lost binary compatability across their range many years ago.

At least SGI are doing something about that. Sun just look embarassed and change the subject when you bring that up with them.

hamei wrote: Nothing on the desktop that SGI has done newer than the Octane shows any imagination whatsoever - so why spend four times as much money for half as much computer ? It was different when you were comparing an Octane to a Clunker, but hell - what has SGI done that's technically advanced or exciting since 1996 ? Nothing , as far as I can see.

Then you're not looking hard enough. The Origin 3000 is pretty advanced.
So's getting that architecture to work with Itanium.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you tell John Mashey that that stuff isn't exciting or technologically advanced.

Or is the market so flooded with scalable NUMA systems that Origin and Altix are now mundane?

Go and work with F25ks and you'll realise how far behind the curve Sun are.

CXFS is vastly more capable than any other shared filesystem out there. Do you have any idea how incredibly difficult it is to do something like that?

In what way is Onyx4 not advanced? Do you have that many machines with 32 graphics cores - that you can combine and split at will - that the Onyx4 is a mediocre box?

How many other machines have the bandwidth and raw CPU power of the Prism? Can you see any other machines - on the desktop - than can handle 4K imaging? In real time?

Have you seen the sort of bandwidth and sustained throughput that clusters of Altix and Origins can get talking to SGI storage? I fail to see how that is mundane or not advanced - it blows other vendors away.

There's more to life than the desktop.

In order to have any sort of R&D - or, indeed, any sort of future - SGI has to build and sell what the market wants.

This isn't 2000 any more. Companies don't buy IT equipment just because it's new and shiny. SGI are still innovating and still doing clever stuff, and still surviving because of that. If they were still doing pure MIPS/IRIX they would have gone under several years ago.

Would NASA have even bothered to talk to SGI for Columbia if it was Origin 3000 based? No, of course not - they would have gone to IBM.

I still look forward to the new machines from SGI, because they're still exciting, innovative, and ultimately very clever pieces of kit.

Cheers,
TOM
--
"Tell them we are not Gods, but SysAdmins, which is the next best thing,"
Diego wrote:
zizban wrote: Linux has lot of software repositories, some of them much smarter than tardist so I don't expect SGI to do anything about that.

...Are you sure? :roll:

And why every time I try to use seriously Linux in my office it gets me screwed with a lot of wrong-feels about his whole nature? :)

I don't think (REALLY) that the software packaging used by RedHat (RPM), Debian, or SlackWare can be better than thoses from IRIX at all... sorry, I can't share your opinion there...

i second that. irix' inst format is the best i've ever worked with by far.
r-a-c.de