SGI: Discussion

Cosmo video format questions... - Page 1

This may be document elsewhere, but it happened to me and a few others at our facility:

Doing an upgrade from (other than the miniroot) on Octanes to 6.5.21 WITHOUT patch 5086 will cause inst to bomb during the flashing of the PROMS (i.e. exist commands).

The result -- you're system will not boot AT ALL after the crash. The SGI tech who told me this has replaced three motherboards so far, that being the only solution he knows of right now other than patching inst BEFORE the upgrade.

Watch out!
Good to know - I haven't been able to get 6.5.21 since my Developer Online account expired anyway. Guess that's a positive thing after all! :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I was forced into upgrading ASAP to 6.5.21 because SGI told me that the pthreads libraries that were de-stabilzed after 6.5.18 where now much better (TRUE!).
Hello,

If you can have a look on the site of sgi support it is clearely stated to apply first a patch before installing and that since 6.5.20.
I guess it will be the same for the further release.
And I m not sure but I guess it is also stated in the booklet that come with the overlay.
But normaly it should be possible to restart the mobo due to the socket U10 which a kind of emergency socket when having trouble with the prom.
But where to find the "replacement" part is another story...

In everycase it is a good idea to explain it in the forum before someone burns a octane which would be a real shame.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
Well I'd heard about the patch, but I hadn't heard it would kill your Octane if you forgot to apply it beforehand :) Certainly something that can't be emphasized enough just to make certain everyone knows it can be dangerous.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Well I'd heard about the patch, but I hadn't heard it would kill your Octane if you forgot to apply it beforehand :) Certainly something that can't be emphasized enough just to make certain everyone knows it can be dangerous.

No kidding. Maybe this info should be posted on the front page with a huge WARRNING label.
Hello,

Yep true it's stated no where that not using the patch will kill an octane.
Really bad... For SGI and everyone of us.

I am agree with semy-fly that should figure out on the main page with a big red warning...
The first set of 6.5.21 are already on ebay...
If we don't want to have dead mobo in friends house...

So please do. Place a big warning...

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
LoWeN wrote: I am agree with semy-fly that should figure out on the main page with a big red warning...

I've done that, but maybe Neko can help me pump the layout a bit bigger :)

Let's hope this information reaches as many people as possible...
HOLY CRAP!

If I had an Octane I more than likely would have not even thought twice about doing just that if I was to install 6.5.21. I can't imagine why they would allow something so potentially devistaing go so unnoticed like that. :shock:
guess SGI have sacked to many QA guys in their restructuring, just glad that 1. i can get hold of 6.5.21 and 2. Can't afford an octane :(

but yeah thats a nasty one right there.
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.
Yahooo

upgrade worked.

Without burning my Octane!

nekochan++ :)

You people scared me :.(
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
Whiter, did you patch before the upgrade? I didn't want to unnessarily alarm folks, but It really did happen to me going from 6.5.20f to 6.5.21f (thought it was just my bad luck at first). The SGI on-site tech who fixed my machine later told me about the other cases that occurred after mine.
So, I'm sitting here converting a captured movie to Quicktime and wondering if there is a faster way of doing this.

It is about a six minute segment, captured at full size/frame rate with a Cosmo Compression card (which only works when using the Cosmo jpeg codec). Unfortunately I need to turn this into Quicktime at half size and 15 frames per second.

I'm currently using MediaConvert to turn the captured segment into Quicktime (same size/rate) using the photo jpeg codec. From there I can get it onto one of my Macs to get it down further with Sorenson Video 3 and reducing the size/rate at the same time.

It is going to take six hours to convert this thing (which captured in six minutes). Is there some thing I can do to cut this process down? Capturing straight to Quicktime at the size/rate I want is possible, but the quality is awful. Is there a Cosmo codec for Macs so I can work with the original captured file? I'm using IRIX 6.2, is there better Quicktime codecs included with 6.5.x (not really an option as I don't have the money for it right now)?

Just wondering as I have time to kill.

(hardware: Indy R4400sc/175, 128 MB RAM, 9.1 GB hard drive, Indy Video and Cosmo Compress boards)
It's been a while since I've used a Cosmo, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the MJPEG codecs can be read natively by Quicktime. I remember just transfering the MJPEG file over and editing/exporting on the Mac. This was last year under OS X 10.1 or 10.2; I'd double check on my Cosmo but it would require an IRIX reinstall.

All Rights Reserved.
Well, the Quicktime Cinepak codec requires a license and so does the MPEG-1 encoding.

I guess this gives me a reason to finally figure out how to set the name server address so I can get on the internet and see if anything at the old 6.2 shareware site helps. Besides, I need some other stuff and grabbing parts and pieces to bring over gets old fast. Specially when you get conflicts while installing something simple like AbiWord.

I'm trying it again, this time converting it to quicktime without any compression. Early estimates show this knocked off about 2 hours... it's a start. I'll try the SGI JPEG encoding on something smaller next.

I just want to get the time down a little while keeping the quality up. This is mainly just to figure out how long projects of this nature would take.

Thanks.
RacerX wrote:
Well, the Quicktime Cinepak codec requires a license and so does the MPEG-1 encoding.

Oh no, I never used either of those. This was Quicktime MJPEG A which worked fine with Quicktime. I was using IRIX 6.5 so maybe this isn't something available in 6.2.

From a Usenet post:

Quote:
directly capture to MJPEG A - in mediarecorder under "task settings":
choose "Quicktime MJPEG A" instead of Quicktime or SGI MJPEG and don't
forget to capture both fields (there's a drop down box if you expand the
advanced options). dmrecords uses these settings by default. No need to
convert to anything.

All Rights Reserved.
RacerX wrote:

I guess this gives me a reason to finally figure out how to set the name server address so I can get on the internet and see if anything at the old 6.2 shareware site helps. Besides, I need some other stuff and grabbing parts and pieces to bring over gets old fast. Specially when you get conflicts while installing something simple like AbiWord.

I'm trying it again, this time converting it to quicktime without any compression. Early estimates show this knocked off about 2 hours... it's a start. I'll try the SGI JPEG encoding on something smaller next.

I just want to get the time down a little while keeping the quality up. This is mainly just to figure out how long projects of this nature would take.

Thanks.

Although the MPEG and cinepak encoder required a license (back in the pre 6.5 days) it is now free to use both of them. For IRIX 6.2 and 5.3 users, check out the link on the bottom of my post. If you 5.3 users can’t find the mpeg or cinepak codecs on your install CD, try to get the desktop special edition CD for 5.3 which should have them.

http://www.sgi.com/support/licensing/free_licenses.html
squeen wrote: This may be document elsewhere, but it happened to me and a few others at our facility:

Doing an upgrade from (other than the miniroot) on Octanes to 6.5.21 WITHOUT patch 5086 will cause inst to bomb during the flashing of the PROMS (i.e. exist commands).

The result -- you're system will not boot AT ALL after the crash. The SGI tech who told me this has replaced three motherboards so far, that being the only solution he knows of right now other than patching inst BEFORE the upgrade.

Watch out!

hello,

you can't upgrade to 21 without the patch.
to do so you have to set rulesoverride on and then it's your fault :twisted:
except from 20...
r-a-c.de
When i was walking around i had an idea. Why not make a personal video recorder (Tivo) with an SGI like an O2? O2s have video imput and output ports for video and audio capture, and if you could find a pci remote control reciever and remote, and the company that made it had open linux drivers someone could write Irix drivers for it (i dont know this for a fact because i havent programmed for irix). Someone could alse port a program like Freevo or other Linux based PVR program and you would have yourself a Irix based based Tivo with a cool looking box :lol: !

I might be crazy :roll: but it sounds like a good way to make good use of SGIs that you dont use.
Interesting idea. I imagine you could also achieve something similar with an Octane that has the Personal Video Option. But, like you mentioned, there would be some coding involved.