Hardware For Sale/Trade

IrisVision (ISA model) on eBay - Page 1

Not mine but daaaaaaamn, that's one complete puppy. It's even the 24-bit model.
......then there's the price. :|

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161945243884
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I've recently got the MCA version (base MRV + MGE + 24-bit buffer, no Z-buffer) and it cost me a "Cubrun" (the Type 4 "Y" PS/2 complex). So, unless there's something special about the ISA version, it is grossly overpriced.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
I wish they never stopped making PC graphics cards. Sigh ...

But what did Ed McCracken say in 1997?

"Some people think that you can add a graphics card to a PC and get the
power of a Silicon Graphics workstation," said Edward R. McCracken,
chairman and CEO of the Mountain View, California-based computer systems
manufacturer. "You can strap a rocket onto a basset hound, and you still
have a dog with a rocket on its back." And, going to an automitive
metaphor, he added, "You can put a roof rack on a Pinto and it's not a
Range Rover."

http://www.petting-zoo.net/~deadbeef/archive/4340.html

The rest is history. Or nVidia and AMD as you could say.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!
GL1zdA wrote: I've recently got the MCA version (base MRV + MGE + 24-bit buffer, no Z-buffer) and it cost me a "Cubrun" (the Type 4 "Y" PS/2 complex). So, unless there's something special about the ISA version, it is grossly overpriced.

You didn't by chance get it from someone on vogons, did you? I was offering money for one there and the guy said he ended up trading it for a Type 4 complex. HMMMMM...... ;)

Yeah, I know it's crazy overpriced. My MCA set came with the documentation, cabling and software (TriOx, you still around for me to re-image those disks?) for about $200 back in 2009. Still, I've never seen the ISA version, let alone NiB.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

GL1zdA wrote: grossly overpriced.

indeed.
i have one of these, too. maybe i should sell it :P
I am missing the GE board for my ISA IrisVision. I made that guy a pretty decent offer several weeks ago, which he refused. Just sayin'.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
pentium wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: I've recently got the MCA version (base MRV + MGE + 24-bit buffer, no Z-buffer) and it cost me a "Cubrun" (the Type 4 "Y" PS/2 complex). So, unless there's something special about the ISA version, it is grossly overpriced.

You didn't by chance get it from someone on vogons, did you? I was offering money for one there and the guy said he ended up trading it for a Type 4 complex. HMMMMM...... ;)

Exactly, it was he. Now I have to get the damn 3W3 cable.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
ouch the price !!!

Eve
Here's the MCA IrisVision with a more realistic price. It's easier to find the boards via IBM Part numbers.
kjaer wrote: I am missing the GE board for my ISA IrisVision. I made that guy a pretty decent offer several weeks ago, which he refused. Just sayin'.

Looking at his other listings and his prices on keyboards specifically, I doubt you'd ever get him to budge more the $20 on an item.

It has been up for some time. That price is insane. Maybe he is reading from the SGI price sheet lol.
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:
pentium wrote: Looking at his other listings and his prices on keyboards specifically, I doubt you'd ever get him to budge more the $20 on an item.

$2K for an old IBM PC keyboard? The guy either has no contact with reality or is trying to launder money.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
If I were going to launder money through ebay, it would def be an ISA SGI video card without a doubt!
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
R-ten-K wrote: $2K for an old IBM PC keyboard? The guy either has no contact with reality or is trying to launder money.

That's insane, especially since brand new keyboards with proper Cherry switches are still being made for around £130 or so. I bought one a couple of years back (Ducky Shine 3) and it's an awesome piece of kit.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
R-ten-K wrote:
pentium wrote: Looking at his other listings and his prices on keyboards specifically, I doubt you'd ever get him to budge more the $20 on an item.

$2K for an old IBM PC keyboard? The guy either has no contact with reality or is trying to launder money.

Keyboard collectors came out of left field a few years ago and took everyone by surprise. This weird freak of a group where money means nothing and forget the computers, all they collect are the keyboards, occasionally buying entire systems just to junk it for the sought after keyboard.
It's one thing when someone acknowledges that you have a keyboard for a Symbolics machine but it's another when their only response is "wow, those have those rare Honeywell reed keyswitches!" I don't care about the switches. Were you dropped and abused as a child?!
Why? Because they feel right. They insist that keyboard X is superior to keyboard Y and Z, occasionally carrying around a keyboard with them or their laptop because they don't want to use what they already have. An entire market has sprouted up around them as well selling LED upgrade kits, multicolor keycaps, USB adapters or complete microcontroller replacements. IBM's keyboards, especially the grey plastic Industrial models and keycap kits, are considered the holy grail and fetch stupid amounts of money.
$2000 for a brand new keyboard? Yeah, to them that's reasonable . :shock:
These people have the funds of a furry, the sanity of an Amiga user, the rationale of an audiophile and the dedication of a catholic cardinal. Puts us SGI and big iron collectors to shame. My suggestion is you do not interact with these people, ever. Stamp them out as hard as you can.

HAHAHAHAHAHAA that is insane... Kinda cool, but insane. I have around 6 Model M keyboards from the 80s in mint condition. Are those worth 2k? Those are my 2nd favorite keyboard. They seem to work okay with SGI gear. My first favorite keyboard is the granite Onyx1/Indigo keyboard. This dude in NC kept putting them on ebay for 60 bucks a few years ago. I would just instantly buy them when I would get the alert. That keyboard just feels sooooo good. I was really hurt when I found out that I couldn't use that indigo to ps/2 converter in reverse to allow me to use that keyboard on PCs.
opcode wrote: It has been up for some time. That price is insane. Maybe he is reading from the SGI price sheet lol.

You reminded me of this price sheet. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16728414&p=7367158&hilit=sgi_prices.pdf#p7367158

His price would have been cheap back then.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:
Insane. I am curious what the profit margin was on the Tezro. Does anyone know how many Indys were ever sold? If the VW320 was just a PC with a hellish SGI graphics card and priced competitively, would it have been successful?
I think it would have been successful with SGI grade graphics and a reasonable price. I like the look of the system.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:
mopar5150 wrote: You reminded me of this price sheet. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16728414&p=7367158&hilit=sgi_prices.pdf#p7367158

My favorite:

Code: Select all

SC5-QTRANS-A3KL-1.3: QuickTransit for Altix 3000 up to 512P. 1 NODELOCK License & CD
for half a million bucks . Fortunately, you can save a hundred grand by ordering SC5-EQTRANS-A3KL-1.3:

Code: Select all

SC5-EQTRANS-A3KL-1.3 QuickTransit for Altix 3000 up to 512P. 1 NODELOCK License & CD.

Yeah, that must have been a big seller. I wonder what that 'E' is for :roll:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )