Emulation

AIX 1.3 - Page 5

80 MB is enough for a minimal installation. You may find it "charmingly old school" or "uncomfortable" depending on your particular cultural bias and outlook on life.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
Having "installp" you may find it refreshingly modern. :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
I have a machine that requires AIX 1.3 and I but lost the media...help!!!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2+: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel:
UnixHD wrote: I have a machine that requires AIX 1.3 and I but lost the media...help!!!

Look on 9595 - Ardent Tool of Capitalism .
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
Well I can say that if you have a 330mb hard drive you want to install on, please don't. I'm literally 15mb and three LPP's short of a complete install and I'm completely out of disk space. Don't think I can resize my partititions either.

Well that was a waste of a friday and seven hours of my life.... :P
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Okay, so after a lot of complaining, a half dozen bad floppies and a half dozen false starts the install is complete short of two or three LPP's which I didn't need (DOS server, Image Adapter/A support and the tape backup unit I don't have) I got all the other available LPP's loaded onto a 780mb Maxtor with an extra 20mb FAT partition for me to multiboot DOS 5 and use DOSmerge.

The result is....well it's a Unix distro. Acts like the later version of AIX on my 850 with some commands and programs either added or removed ( is the loss of SMIT a good thing?), the keyboard layout is absurd and I do believe I've already confused the window manager. System seems to work with my multiport serial card, the 3C523 isn't up yet as I need to read through /usr/nifl/3com/ but the token ring is definately supported and detected even though I completely lack any token ring infrastructure. Should of bought an MAU at Weirdstuff....
The system is running rather unstable. While it has 12mb installed, 8mb of which sits on an AST Rampage Plus/MC that while loaded with good parity Toshiba ram has something about it which causes the installer to panic, memtest to crash and the reference diskette diagnostic utility to try and disable it. It's nuts to run without it though because at 4mb on the planar the system swaps for something as simple as moving the mouse cursor across the screen.

Anyways, me being Pentium and me never really knowing what the hell I am doing right off the bat I want into a window manager to screw about in a graphical environment however right off the bat I somehow broke X. Image Normally xinit should start up aixwm as per the documentation but...

You get another window manager instead. Now you can kill it and fire up aixwm from the command line...

While it sorta works stuff like the tools window doesn't work. It's just a blank screen. At least the clock works.
Failing that of course there's also Motif.

Again, it's a bit broken. I installed the x11 samples LPP but I can't find where the heck everything went. I can't see it in /usr/bin/X11.
I have also learned you can make 5.25" hard drive brackets for the model 80 by taking a hard drive sled from a model 30 or 55SX, cutting it in two and drilling an extra hole in the two pieces.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Color me amazed! :shock:

It's a beautiful piece of hardware though ain't it? And kudos on your "workstation environment" featuring a sofa... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: It's a beautiful piece of hardware though ain't it?

I was just thinking how much nicer the competitive HP was. I had an RS-20C that would have been about the equivalent - but nicer design and better looking, too. In the HP the backplane was passive, the bottom slot housed the cpu itself. It would have been a nifty idea for upgrading but alas, the busses changed about as fast as the processors did then :(
What country do you want to go to ? ... Wyoming
Guys, I need help. I don't know what I'm doing.

pentium wrote: Guys, I need help. I don't know what I'm doing.

We don't know what you are doing either!

What state do you have it in?

(a) it boots up by itself gracefully

(b) you can login

(c) you can run X on the box itself

(d) you can compile stuff with the provided IBM C compiler

If you can do all that you are now at the forefront of AIX 1.3.
I don't know what I'm doing either. ;)

I can boot, I can login and right now because multiple window systems are installed I cannot run X productively.
The network driver is also not deployed as I can't read the instructions and I have yet to compile anything.

Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+netiquette+for+newbies

And quite indeed, kudos on the couch. Gives me something to consider if I ever move to a house where I have more than 6 square meters to house my electronical toys in... :D
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
I solved the networking side by getting an AIX 1.3 supported MCA Ethernet card and configuring static IP for it. AIX supports fewer network cards than OS/2.

My 76i has now been redeployed as an OS/2 2.1 box. AIX 1.3 counts as been there, done that, rather like getting SunOS 4 running on a Sun 3/60...
Just some historical comments from Bennett's Inside the IBM RISC System 6000 , available at http://tinyurl.com/k7lb5rv

This is IBM's version of UNIX for the PS/2. It is the result of a joint development between the California-based Locus Computing Corp. and IBM. AIX PS/2 was originally based on a highly modified version of UNIX 4.1 BSD.

AIX PS/2 is positioned as an entry level to the IBM AIX family. How well does it live up to this claim? IBM has had only moderate success in marketing AIX PS/2 as the UNIX system of choice for personal computer users. Why? First, AIX PS/2 predominantly runs on IBM PS/2 computers and provides only limited support for IBM compatibles. This is because AIX PS/2 cannot use the IBM Personal Computer BIOS which is written to the requirements of a single-tasking operating system like DOS. Instead, AIX PS/2 addresses the hardware directly, and because other vendors' non-MicroChannel bus-based machines have various hardware differences they will not necessarily work with AIX PS/2. Second, in the personal computer UNIX marketplace there is no de facto agreed standard for binary application compatibility. The marketplace for AIX PS/2 systems therefore is typically a small configuration, multiuser commercial system. For example, a customer may develop a simple character-based application on an IBM RISC System/6000 for its worldwide series of offices. Smaller offices may not justify their own IBM RISC System/6000 so the application could be ported to an IBM PS/2 running AIX PS/2 for these smaller branches.

Ironically, since the cost of the IBM RISC System/6000 is now very low, it can outperform a high-end IBM PS/2 in terms of performance per pound spent, thus making the choice of AIX PS/2 more difficult.
This is IBM's version of UNIX for the PS/2.

Centuries ago (1994-1995?), I helped a physician pal of mine figure out what he needed to do to migrate to a new electronic medical record system. I walked into the office, and I saw a bunch of PS/2s. When I booted them, I saw they were running AIX. At the time, I had zero interest in AIX, so the machines went to some office equipment salvage company. Too bad I didn't ask for one; I'm sure the price would've been the calories needed to carry it to my car. It'd be neat to play around with one of them today.
I can't imagine it's substantially un like AIX on RS/6000 and PPC, though.

Admittedly I have plenty of AIX iron around here to play with. :)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Hi there!

AIX/ps2 can be virtualized. In VirtualPC, aaaand... in Bochs:
english summary: https://sites.google.com/site/rhdisk0/unix/aix/aixps2
hungarian original, png screenshots were converted to text: http://www.cs.elte.hu/~vuk/aixps2.html

I didn't mention in the above, but AIX/ps2 in Bochs can be connected to network via slip. Bochs has to be configured with an attached network socket to its serial port, that socket then to be connected to a qemu vm's serial port, which has a zipslack guest for example, and that should be the gateway to the internet. Done.

Will tell you more about limitations, showstoppers, and other related possibilities, if anyone is interested.
I suggest moving all this here: viewforum.php?f=30

I can help anyone to virtualize aixps2, or install it into a vm - then clone disk image to physical harddisk for real iron!
:O200: :O200: +many more risc, x86, m68k, 8bit, vax
f10d4 wrote: I suggest moving all this here: viewforum.php?f=30

indeed :-)
r-a-c.de