Emulation

AIX 1.3 - Page 1

I saw Aix 1.3 the vetusware doses any one have any experience with it can install in on a normal Pc or do I need a ps2 to get working

:mrgreen:
bmnb1234 wrote: I saw Aix 1.3 the vetusware doses any one have any experience with it can install in on a normal Pc or do I need a ps2 to get working

I would try and get an original PS/2.

have you seen http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX_1-3/AIX_Index.html ?
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
I have tried to install AIX 1.3 in vmware but it doesn't work, you need an original system.

It's easier to buy an IBM Power System on eBay to enjoy AIX.
:Indy: Indy R4400 150 MHz, 256 MB, Indy 24-bit, IRIX 6.5.22m/Debian GNU/Linux
:Octane2: Octane2 R12K 400 MHz, 1 GB, VPro V6, IRIX 6.5.30
IBM 44p 170 POWER3-II 400 MHz, 1 GB, Matrox G200 (GXT130P), AIX 5.3/Debian GNU/Linux
:hpserv: HP C3750+C3600 2GB, HP-UX 11v1/Debian GNU/Linux
chatuser wrote: It's easier to buy an IBM Power System on eBay to enjoy AIX.

NB that AIX/6000 (v3 and above) are a bit different from AIX v1.x (and internally substantially different from AIX/RT v2).

If you really want to run AIX v1 get a PS/2- you're just asking for trouble to try to build a almost-exact-clone of a PS/2 from third-party parts. A little m80 or above is pretty cheap now.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
do you think I can get away using Bochs pc emulator?
:twisted:
To be fair, compare with Linux support for MCA.
To be fair, compare with Linux support for MCA.

I'm not complaining- no one would expect to pick up a PlayStation or other MIPS-based system and run IRIX on it, now would you? Why should IBM go out of their way to support their competitor's machines?

PS/2s are pretty common and bulletproof (just make sure you get a SCSI model- a few of them were ESDI and that can be difficult unless you have a well-stocked garage).
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~trent/gnu/bull/16/gnu_bulletin_19.html

Any idea if a recent (eg gcc 2.7.2 upwards) is available for "aixps2" or "AIX/386"?
This looks promising...

In "PTF0024/U436295.ps"

IX45072 Support added for PS/2 9577 - Models 76i, 76s, 77i and 77s.

I have a 76i (IDE only) working it's way to me, I was wondering if I should get an MCA SCSI card.

Code: Select all

# uname -a
AIX aixps 1 3.0 i386
Installation on a 76i has gone okay except I can't boot from a kernel on the IDE harddisk. Bios is at version 8. No SCSI adapter.

The 0024 maintenance disk happily lists the following

hd5       /aixps2/tmp
hd4
hd3       /
hd2   bootable /aixps2
hd1       /u

the installation of 1.3 went okay, then able to add the U436295 from PTF0024.

However booting, either from the harddisk directly, or by trying to boot from harddisk using the 0024 SCSI boot disks gives the following

Ldlook: not a directory
/boot not found
bload: can't open /boot
boot strap panic: Unexpected exit in boot code

There is a file called "boot" in the root of "hd2".

Any clues? Do I really need to be using a SCSI adapter and SCSI hard disk?
Will there be any problems installing AIX 1.3 on a Model 55 SX with a PureData network card and a 160Mb ESDI drive?
I have one kicking around and I find it's not good enough for OS/2.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Give it a spin. I'm waiting for some SCSI kit.
porter wrote: Give it a spin. I'm waiting for some SCSI kit.

:evil: I just came home and as soon as the ol' 55SX was setup I turned it on and was greeted with a cmos reset and a clock that won't hold time. Yep, time to install an external battery on the Dallas chip.
We will have to wait now. I'm far too busy to do that and I'm short a coin-type battery holder (Tape does not seem to hold the wires well).
On the other hand I looked at that Vetusware download and it looks pretty good. It even states my system is compatible (according to documentation). Now I just need to find out how to image those .img files to a floppy with windows. Every other system I own that could do this is either down or needs parts. Rawrite should do the trick and I think I also have a graphical alternative that should work too. Good thing I have 200+ floppies sitting around.

I also looked around and it seems that almost all the emulators have trouble running AIX 1.3. PS/2 systems are not that uncommon.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

It's worth reformatting the floppies first and junking the ones which have bad blocks or seem to take longer than normal.

http://www.walshcomptech.com/comp_coll.htm

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX_1-3/AIX_Index.html
pentium wrote: Will there be any problems installing AIX 1.3 on a Model 55 SX with a PureData network card and a 160Mb ESDI drive?
I have one kicking around and I find it's not good enough for OS/2.

You need a real 386/486 to run AIX. An SX won't cut it.

You can run supposedly AIX 1.x on ISA PCs, but they have to be 100% IBM compatible, and AIX doesn't support any non-MCA network cards.
You need a real 386/486 to run AIX. An SX won't cut it.

:evil: Rats, I don't have any other PS/2 systems that are better than SX.

Give it a go, it may be enough to do what you want to do. For example I have SunOS 4.1.1U box running diskless on a 68020 with 4MB of RAM. But it works for what I want, compilations take a long time but do work.
I'm off to do work and don't expect to be back until ten tonight but I'll attempt an install tomorrow.
I have a little snip on how to use DD to extract those images so it looks like the floppy drive in the indigo will be getting some work.

Okay, I am able to start the install fine and everything goes fine until I have to insert disk eight in the base system floppies.
I tried several different disks and each time it rejects it.