Emulation

AIX 1.3 - Page 3

anyone having those 4MB 80ns SIMMs it takes and willing to part with them?

I might have a few left over (they also work really well in my laser printer) however I'm too busy right now to go and dig them out.
Yeah, the rework on the dallas chip was more of an experiment that worked. Too bad I can't find a bigger ESDI drive. You can't install everything on a 160Mb drive and hope to have lots of free space left over.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
BTW, I got myself 11 little beasts today - PS/2 Model 95 Server (9595). They're not in very good shape (they were stored in a wet garage :( ) so I'm not sure how much of them are actually working, but it looks like at least some of them might work, these would make a really nice AIX PS/2 machine! It will take some time to clean and test them, but I'll post my results here :)
You found some Model 95's?! :shock:
Oh man, I have been looking for one or two of those systems!
Well I guess at the very least you have mare than enough spare parts to make at least one very nice system.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

pentium wrote: You found some Model 95's?! :shock:
Oh man, I have been looking for one or two of those systems!

Yeah, I've got 11 of them at the moment, and probably 3-6 more are still somewhere in that garage. I would more than gladly donate one or two, but those are really heavy beasts - I nearly broke my back during loading and unloading the car - I don't want to imagine how much would shipping anywhere outside Czech Republic cost.

Well I guess at the very least you have mare than enough spare parts to make at least one very nice system.

I did a quick check today, out of the 9 machines I've got at home now, 5 appear to be functional, but none of them has a harddrive and only one has memory (I had to swap it between them to check them all). The other four don't power up at all - probably some problem with the PSU - I will check fuses later.

All of them have SCSI controllers and SuperVGA MCA cards, some of them have TokenRing cards, I even got one Ethernet card with them and four others are on their way (hopefully). What surprised me, they're not as noisy as I imagined them - in fact, they're more silent than my Model 65SX. I don't have much time to play with them right now (exam period at school), but I'll keep you informed how it goes. I really look forward to running AIX on these!
Oh, I envy you. ;)
You got some really nice systems to play with.

dragon_cb_cz wrote: All of them have SCSI controllers and SuperVGA MCA cards, some of them have TokenRing cards, I even got one Ethernet card with them and four others are on their way (hopefully). What surprised me, they're not as noisy as I imagined them - in fact, they're more silent than my Model 65SX. I don't have much time to play with them right now (exam period at school), but I'll keep you informed how it goes. I really look forward to running AIX on these!

Sounds like you found the motherlode.

Look at your ethernet and TR cards very carefully. 100 mbit cards are fairly uncommon, and they can go for quite a lot of money on e-bay. (Conversely, 10 and 4/16 cards aren't worth a bent nickel.)
pipeline wrote: Sounds like you found the motherlode.

Look at your ethernet and TR cards very carefully. 100 mbit cards are fairly uncommon, and they can go for quite a lot of money on e-bay. (Conversely, 10 and 4/16 cards aren't worth a bent nickel.)

I haven't checked very carefully, but I'm pretty sure none of them is 100mbit - the ethernet card is 10mbit for sure (it's 10base2, not 10baseT) and I don't think there were any 100mbit TR cards widely available? I'm OK with 10mbit ethernet for now, I don't plan any serious use of AIX, I'm "just curious" :)
Does any one know where I can get a reference diskette image for an SMC 8013EP/A ethernet adapter?
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
Finally my SMC 8013EP/A arrived.

Used the file @61C8.ADF thrown onto my reference disk to reconfigure the box.

Boot into AIXPS2 then

Code: Select all

cd /usr/nifl/wd
make install

add the line

ifconfig wd0 <address> netmask <mask>

to /etc/rc.tcpip and reboot.

Bingo!

I still have the spurious interrupts but my cunning plan is to add another IDE....

$ ./config.guess
i386-ibm-aix
$ uname -a
AIX aixps2 1 3.0 i386
$
Wow, never seen this before....
Heh. AIXWindows. I have never seen a screenshot of that. One of the parents of CDE.
pipeline wrote:
dragon_cb_cz wrote: All of them have SCSI controllers and SuperVGA MCA cards, some of them have TokenRing cards, I even got one Ethernet card with them and four others are on their way (hopefully). What surprised me, they're not as noisy as I imagined them - in fact, they're more silent than my Model 65SX. I don't have much time to play with them right now (exam period at school), but I'll keep you informed how it goes. I really look forward to running AIX on these!

Sounds like you found the motherlode.

Really? How much?
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
A few "learning points"

I don't think I'll solve the spurious interrupt without a hardware mod to disable the IDE controller, or else get an older PS2 without IDE.

I did get it to stop writing the messages to file using /etc/syslog.conf (kern.debug).

I installed all the X disks and later PTF0024 by using two telnet sessions....

Session A to copy the *.img files to a file called /u/porter/floppy, one after the other as the installer requests the disks.

Session B to use either "installp -d /u/porter/floppy" or "updatep -d /u/porter/floppy -ac"

Saved alot of time and effort on floppies but required careful synchronisation between the sessions.

Mounting a remote volume worked well to a NetBSD 3.0 box, but not a Solaris box. So issue with disk space for compiling gcc 2.7.2 is now solved.
I'm trying to install AIX on a PS/2 L40...it keeps giving me error code 65532 when writing kernel configuration data. Is this system not compatible?
wow! Pretty cool stuff I must say.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
pipeline wrote: Look at your ethernet and TR cards very carefully. 100 mbit cards are fairly uncommon, and they can go for quite a lot of money on e-bay. (Conversely, 10 and 4/16 cards aren't worth a bent nickel.)

Not very rare for the two I know in existence.

The Olicom 10/100 card is the only one that works in PS/2s (and definitely not AIX 1.3). The card is an ISA chipset bridged to MCA, and most PS/2 users aren't very fond of it. For this reason, people might have one just to have it, but the performance difference over the high-end 10 mbit cards is marginal and comes with high CPU usage.

On the other hand, there is the 9-K for RS/6000 machines. This is a PCI chipset bridged to MCA. It is fantastic in RS/6000 machines, and most PS/2 users don't purchase them because a driver and ADF has never been written for the PS/2.
SGI Fuel, Indy R5k
IBM RS/6000 7006-42T, 7011-250, 7012-397, 7012-G40 (upgraded to 4x 200MHz PPC), ThinkPad 710TE vintage tablet, ThinkPad T400, various System X, NetVista 2800
Sun Ultra 27 Xeon Quad Core 3.20GHz, Sunblade 2500 Silver, SunFire V445
HP c8000

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ - IBM Retro
http://www.kev009.com/ - Blog
Free Usenet access for comp.* heirarchy. Send me a message for posting access.
I know it may seem silly, but AIX will run on Virtual PC 2004 (with NO service packs).... Bochs/Qemu trip up on the bios calls AIX uses to switch to protected mode....
:Cube: O40-25Mhz!
neozeed wrote: I know it may seem silly, but AIX will run on Virtual PC 2004?

I would expect no, remember we are talking over a decade ago, AIX needs an MCA machine with PS/2 BIOS.
porter wrote:
neozeed wrote: I know it may seem silly, but AIX will run on Virtual PC 2004?

I would expect no, remember we are talking over a decade ago, AIX needs an MCA machine with PS/2 BIOS.

It'll load on a regular PC.... it just has to really be compatible... if it'll run OS/2 1.3 (and more importantly install it) it'll run AIX... or that's been my experience...

I saw someone got slip running, I may have to dig out either a machine, or build something to run VPC 2004....
:Cube: O40-25Mhz!
neozeed wrote: It'll load on a regular PC.... it just has to really be compatible... if it'll run OS/2 1.3 (and more importantly install it) it'll run AIX... or that's been my experience...

But OS/2 1.x could run on a machine without an ABIOS - at least the version distributed by Microsoft. I am not sure IBM intended AIX 1 to be used on non-PS/2 machines.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...