Emulation

AIX 1.3 - Page 4

miod wrote:
But OS/2 1.x could run on a machine without an ABIOS - at least the version distributed by Microsoft. I am not sure IBM intended AIX 1 to be used on non-PS/2 machines.

It can. 1.2.1 was the first to ship with a separate install kernel (and boot disk) for ISA bus PCs. In fact the install can be run and completed on VPC6 but I never managed to get a full multi-user boot out of it afterward.

I guess I should just 'push thru' the install glitches backing up the vhd as I go...

At any rate I've also managed to get some SLIP routing with NT 4.0 .... Yeah I know it's crazy sounding, but it's a cheap router for the virtual world!

That's really good emulation, just like my real PS/2 76i.
I wonder if VirtualBox will do it - Vbox can run OS/2 which is an achievement, maybe it will also run AIX PS/2.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Confirming that AIX 1.3 can be installed on VPC 2007.
To avoid the hd interrupt problem I boot from floppy disks, however select to run os from hd and boot in multi user. Kernel loaded from floppy disks seems not to have this problem.

Now SLIP time.
how are you install AIX on VPC ?
i have VPC version 6.0.192.0, but if i try to boot from the SCSI Bootfloppy i got a kernel panic and if i try ESDI it hangs at "init generic site - not checking root"
if i try the bootimages from http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/aixps2/PTF0013/ it hangs on "init generic site - not checking root" too

i got a IBM PS/2 55sx with a running AIX 1.3 on it, but i cant really make big things because the harddrive ist very small (40mb) :(
EDIT: it works after i set the date to 1.1.1990 :o
But now it hangs on making the minidisks/slices : bld_multi_disks failed in creating page, then i have again the installmenu :(
My SGI Machines :O2: :Indigo: :Octane: :Indy: :PI:
you may want to go into the BIOS and disable the 32bit block updates for the IDE and anything else that makes it sound like a 'good idea' for performance.
:Cube: O40-25Mhz!
Bit of a stroke of luck.
I have located IBM's QIC tape option for the PS/2. If I recall, 1.3 came in both floppy and tape form, right?
What are the chances I can rebuild a distro tape?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Bit of a stroke of luck.
I have located IBM's QIC tape option for the PS/2. If I recall, 1.3 came in both floppy and tape form, right?
What are the chances I can rebuild a distro tape?

That depends on what you expect "distro tape" means.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
You guys know if this would run on a Thinkpad 720? It's MCA
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
D-EJ915 wrote: You guys know if this would run on a Thinkpad 720? It's MCA

Heck yes. http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX ... Index.html
PTF0024 (if not PTF0013) includes:
IX44807 Support has been added for the ThinkPAD Model 720/720c.
IX44850 Kernel enhancements for ThinkPAD 700 support.
IX45731 Add support for ThinkPAD 750/750c
IX36900 Support has been added for Thinkpad models. AIX 130 now supports the following Micro Channel Bus Architecture notebooks: N51 SX/SLC, CL57 SX, 700, 700C
Was IBM's 8-port MCA serial adapter compatible with 1.3? I have a Model 80 here that looks like a perfect rig to run on and hang loads of terminals off that.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
You may want to run this through the translation filters... but it can be installed onto Bochs now.....!

http://ludens.elte.hu/~gomba/
:Cube: O40-25Mhz!
Hi there, I'm trying to get AIX 1.3 to install using virtualization (32 Megs of ram, 512Meg HDD image, using the VMX extension for vbox) on my vaio laptop:

- Using virtualbox4, with the VM set up as an OS/2 machine and the HDD either as a SCSI or IDE drive, I can't get beyond the initial green AIX screen, after having inserted the 2 boot and 1 install floppy (PTF0024 or basic versions).

- Using bochs I can't even get the floppy images to be read! It'll read OpenBSD or FreeDOS ones though. It just calls the floppy a non-bootable device. I'm stumped and that Hungarian Bochs Install page doesn't offer any clues as it "just works" for that guy.

Has anyone got a suggestion on what I may need to change to be able to install this quite curious OS ?
AIX probably expects a PS/2 Microchannel machine, which probably neither Bochs, vmware, nor virtualbox emulate since it's 20+ yr old HW.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
AIX doesn't "probably require" MCA. It's supported ISA machines since version 1.2.1. The support is second class, but it's there. The reasons for it to fail virtualization are totally unrelated to microchannel.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
noth wrote: Has anyone got a suggestion on what I may need to change to be able to install this quite curious OS ?

Have you tried at the betaarchive - it seems it can be done with older versions VirtualPC.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try on a lab machine tomorrow. Don't have a windows box here.
I'll be damned then. I guess it makes sense since some of the early machines AIX ran on used the AT bus.

In any case, good luck.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
hmm...a IBM PS/2 MODEL CL57 SX is available in my area. is it worth to get it and try AIX 1.3 on it btw. is the 80MB harddisk enough?
http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX ... ments.html talks about space reqs but i'm not entirely clear about.

Code: Select all

i386SX, 20 MHz
Math. Coprocessor i387SL
10 MB Ram
1x int 1,44 MB Floppy
LCD VGA 10,4
80 MB Micro Channel HD
Battery dead (of course)
maybe mca network card in communication port (awaiting sellers response)
no plan