Emulation

AIX 1.3 - Page 2

I got my copy from here

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX_1-3/AIX_Index.html

and no problems with all the disks being loaded on a Model 76i (okay booting from IDE was another issue...).
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
Dang it.

I've had to down from a 2gig, to a 1gig and now down to a 500Meg disk in order for AIX to boot from the hard disk.

My MCA Etherlink III is not supported by AIX 1.3 with 0024, so am relegated to SLIP.

Do you know any modern distributions that still include SLIP by default, not many I can tell you!

However, C compiler happily works so I have my favourite editor up and going....
I had to pack the system away for another rainy day.
I'll have to download that alternative disk image from there another time.
I've had to down from a 2gig, to a 1gig and now down to a 500Meg disk in order for AIX to boot from the hard disk.

odd, you should of been fine with a 1 gig drive.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: odd, you should of been fine with a 1 gig drive.

< 1023Meg - yes

1.3Gig - no.
Bummer. Are you positive that your next alternative is not a little smaller than that? (what disk interface are you using?)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

pentium wrote: Bummer. Are you positive that your next alternative is not a little smaller than that? (what disk interface are you using?)

SCSI-2-FW, Corvette. :)
I have never tried that configuration. I'm living with a 160Mb ESDI drive.

porter wrote:
< 1023Meg - yes

1.3Gig - no.

And you can't just write out a disklabel that abandons some blocks?
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: And you can't just write out a disklabel that abandons some blocks?

AIX just has a look at the disk and says "I know what size this really is".

Alas it's down the booting, BIOS limitations and all that good stuff, remember these are PS/2 PCs. You can have a bigger disk if you are prepared to boot from floppy each time.
dragon_cb_cz wrote: right now I'm trying to run it on my 76i with no success so far :(

Yes, yes! I could install on IDE but had to boot from floppy, so I added a SCSI controller, it installed but could not boot from SCSI unless the drive was < 1023Mb, so now I have 500Mb drive and it boots fine.

Problem now is it's never going to work with the 3Com MCA EtherLink III card I have, so networking will have to be SLIP. :shock:
pipeline wrote:
pentium wrote: Will there be any problems installing AIX 1.3 on a Model 55 SX with a PureData network card and a 160Mb ESDI drive?
I have one kicking around and I find it's not good enough for OS/2.

You need a real 386/486 to run AIX. An SX won't cut it.

You can run supposedly AIX 1.x on ISA PCs, but they have to be 100% IBM compatible, and AIX doesn't support any non-MCA network cards.

This is a nonsense, you can of course run AIX PS/2 on 386sx sytem. I do in fact, it runs rather happily on my PS/2 Model 65sx, which is 386SX-based. There's no difference between 386SX and DX from the operating system's point of view.

AIX PS/2 with the latest patches should run on non-MCA PC hardware, but I don't think it's worth the energy one would have to invest in such thing. Even getting it to run on some IBM MCA hardware is almost impossible - right now I'm trying to run it on my 76i with no success so far :(
porter wrote:
dragon_cb_cz wrote: right now I'm trying to run it on my 76i with no success so far :(

Yes, yes! I could install on IDE but had to boot from floppy, so I added a SCSI controller, it installed but could not boot from SCSI unless the drive was < 1023Mb, so now I have 500Mb drive and it boots fine.

Problem now is it's never going to work with the 3Com MCA EtherLink III card I have, so networking will have to be SLIP. :shock:

My 76i came with a SCSI controller and 280MB drive, they work just fine for installation but when trying to boot from harddrive after installation, the kernel panics with some strange message, which I can't remember now (I'm 160 kms away from that machine right now). I used PTF0024 boot and install floppies, which makes me wonder - the default kernel installed comes from the boot floppies or from BOS disk set? If from BOS, this could be the problem...

As for the etherlink, have you seen this: http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX ... _NICs.html ? I think it should work, but I haven't tried myself (I don't have the card, but I was thinking about getting one), could you test it and report your results? I could use tokenring instead of ethernet, but having another machine running as a TR<->Ethernet gateway would be kinda annoying.
dragon_cb_cz wrote: I used PTF0024 boot and install floppies

And it should rebuild the kernel on the harddisk.

dragon_cb_cz wrote: As for the etherlink, have you seen this: http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX ... _NICs.html ?

Been there, done that, no go, I need an "IBM Ethernet Adapter/A".
porter wrote: And it should rebuild the kernel on the harddisk.

?? What should rebuild the kernel on the hardisk? The installation program at the end of install process? Or do I have to boot from PTF0024 boot floppy and apply the PTF0024 to the installed system?

porter wrote:
dragon_cb_cz wrote: As for the etherlink, have you seen this: http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/AIX ... _NICs.html ?

Been there, done that, no go, I need an "IBM Ethernet Adapter/A".

Any specific reason to think only this card will work? Various other cards should work from what I've read. BTW is your card really EtherLink III MC (3c529) and not Etherlink/MC (3c523) ?
dragon_cb_cz wrote: Or do I have to boot from PTF0024 boot floppy and apply the PTF0024 to the installed system?

Yes you initially boot with PTF0024 boot, do the install, boot again from floppy, continue with the additional PTF0024 disks ( using installp? )

dragon_cb_cz wrote: Any specific reason to think only this card will work?

yes, I've been all round the houses and blind alleys, it is an MCA Etherlink III.
I'll probably get one of those anyway, I was promised a couple of other MCA machines and one never has enough MCA ethernet cards :) I'll try my luck with WD 8003E/A too - AIX should support those. Was there ever report of somebody using the 3com cards succesfully?

Nice, I will post my pictures as soon as I can find a decent camera :) Anyway, I have it working just fine on both 76i and 65sx, got SLIP working, WD8003E/A is on the way :) The only problem with the 65SX is that it has only 4MB RAM - anyone having those 4MB 80ns SIMMs it takes and willing to part with them?

Btw, I see you have reworked your DS1287 - I didn't feel like opening the chip, so I pointed my browser to the Maxim (owner of Dallas semiconductor) website and requested a free sample - and they were more than happy to send me four pieces for free, so you can try your luck or I could possibly donate one - the shipping won't cost much.
dragon_cb_cz wrote: got SLIP working

Can you describe how you got SLIP working? Especially if you managed to configure it to start at bootup.
Well, I "got it working" in the sense that AIX lets me login using a serial terminal on /dev/tty0 and then I do something like

Code: Select all

sliplogin -c -b 38400 -h 192.168.2.2 -r 192.168.2.1 -n 255.255.255.0
. Then I detach from the terminal, and run

slattach -d -p cslip -s 38400 /dev/ttyS0
ifconfig sl0 192.168.2.1 dstaddr 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.2.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source my_public_ip
to start SLIP and configure the interface on the Linux side and get NAT working. The last thing, on the AIX box:

route add default 192.168.2.1 0
to add default gateway, thats all that is needed. I couldn't find slattach or something like that in AIX, so I didn't bother trying to setup AIX as a SLIP client - is that what you meant?