SGI: Hardware

Who buys UNIX workstations anymore? - Page 2

unixmuseum wrote:
Yes they are... 32-bit Linux needs a recompile of the kernel to address more than 800MB, but it works a little better than on Windows...

I've seen other people say that as well. Yet, I have three linux machines here, one with 1 gig, and 2 with 2 gigs, and I don't recall doing anything to make them see and use the entire ram. One of the machines is using a stock RHEL 3 kernel, one is using the stock RH9 kernel (because I haven't changed it yet), and one is running a custom compiled kernel with the bigphysarea patch (but I don't recall doing anything fancy in the configuration).

Is the real issue that a single application can't use more than 800 megs? Even still, on the RHEL box I've run a program that used 900 megs.

unixmuseum wrote:
What's not running at all or not very well on Linux are the major pre/post processors... Patran runs like shite on Linux, FEMAP and I-DEAS don't run at all. These three account for about 85%-90% of the FEA pre/post software... One of the biggest issues with Linux is getting consitent OGL performance and quality. These tools heavily depend on OGL.

OpenGL performance on linux is a major agrevation. Everytime I'm doing it on linux I wish I was back on my Octane at home. And OpenGL is one of the major issues keeping me from being whole hearted about moving most of my work at home to OS X.
jdboyd wrote:
I've seen other people say that as well. Yet, I have three linux machines here, one with 1 gig, and 2 with 2 gigs, and I don't recall doing anything to make them see and use the entire ram. One of the machines is using a stock RHEL 3 kernel, one is using the stock RH9 kernel (because I haven't changed it yet),

No, this is not the issue... It "sees" the memory, can't address bigger chunks...
jdboyd wrote:
and one is running a custom compiled kernel with the bigphysarea patch (but I don't recall doing anything fancy in the configuration).

Besides recompiling the kernel? :lol:

jdboyd wrote:
Is the real issue that a single application can't use more than 800 megs? Even still, on the RHEL box I've run a program that used 900 megs.

That's more like it. Quote from the NX Nastran Installation & Operation Guide:
Quote:
Linux Memory Allocation Limit on 32-bit Platform
The standard Linux memory structure only allocates approximately 850MB of memory for an NX Nastran job. This is a limitation of the Linux operating system and not of NX Nastran. If you re running NX Nastran on a Linux operating system, and you want to access more than 1GB of physical RAM on a given machine, you must install both of the following:
    - either the kernel-bigmemory patch or the kernel-bigmemory kernel, available from: http://rpmfind.net
Together, these two patches allow your system to allocate more than 850MB of memory.
unixmuseum wrote:
jdboyd wrote:
I've seen other people say that as well. Yet, I have three linux machines here, one with 1 gig, and 2 with 2 gigs, and I don't recall doing anything to make them see and use the entire ram. One of the machines is using a stock RHEL 3 kernel, one is using the stock RH9 kernel (because I haven't changed it yet),

No, this is not the issue... It "sees" the memory, can't address bigger chunks...

jdboyd wrote:

That's more like it. Quote from the NX Nastran Installation & Operation Guide:
Quote:
Linux Memory Allocation Limit on 32-bit Platform
The standard Linux memory structure only allocates approximately 850MB of memory for an NX Nastran job. This is a limitation of the Linux operating system and not of NX Nastran. If you re running NX Nastran on a Linux operating system, and you want to access more than 1GB of physical RAM on a given machine, you must install both of the following:
    - either the kernel-bigmemory patch or the kernel-bigmemory kernel, available from: http://rpmfind.net
Together, these two patches allow your system to allocate more than 850MB of memory.

So maybe RH bought a clue and uses the bigmem patch by default then.

This whole linux thing is pretty irritating anywhich way around.

I used to love linux, but as I've gotten deaper into it over the years, my love turned rapidly to loathing.

Though it does do some very handy things, like read efs CDs and do loopback devices (OK, lots of OSs do that, except Irix), and support hardware that is otherwise Windows only. I certainly can't go do away with linux much as doing heavy work on it drives me batty.
GIJoe wrote:
zolotroph wrote:
A big difference between the Intellistation/Boxx and a new SGI Linux workstation is that the former both run Windows, which account for the vast majority of their user base. Until more professional media applications are ported to Linux, a new SGI Linux workstation won't have anything to run on it in that market aside from discreet apps and Maya.

are you aiming at the single user/small studios here? i agree, as long as some standard apps do not show up on linux, there's no point in going 100% linux for these people. they would need a sidekick windows or mac machine for running certain tools which is hardly acceptable.

however, intellistations and their likes are nowadays running linux in larger studios. a lot of 3d cg related stuff has already been ported, not just maya - which is the standard, btw ;) so for big vfx studios which have made the transitition from irix -> linux, i'm sure they would be interested in sgi offerings again.

That's an excellent point about in-house software. I hadn't considered that, but you're absolutely right. I guess the real question is:

What could SGI offer in a Linux workstation that isn't already available? Massive throughput and scalable graphics (multiple cards working in parallel?) would be my guess, but how far can you go before you have a Prism? How much would potential customers be willing to pay, and what kind of performance increase over commodity PCs would be enough to lure new customers? I guess we'll find out, if the rumors are true.

-zolo
I happen to have my dual 300 Octane with Media Illusion next to a Sempron 2500+ with Combustion 3. I set up a crude comparision, more of a race than a benchmark, just running the same footage through a keyer, a blur, an invert. The results were basically identical, maybe not pixel-for-pixel. The Octane rendered the sequence about 10% faster. I was pretty alarmed by that... shouldn't a PC with all that vector and SIMD stuff, and DDR RAM, completely kick ass at this? I don't think it could have been disk-bound. I'll try and do some better benchmarks, maybe with a dual G4 as well, especially if I can get an old flint rig involved. It's probably just crap software, but even so - people seem to drool over Combustion a lot, yet Avid dropped Illusion ;-)
Who buys UNIX workstations anymore?

- Clueful and Rich people.
Quote:
Who buys UNIX workstations anymore?

quality loving people and those who wanna get work done :lol:

-Conrad-Johnson in audio amplifier world
-Wilson audio in lodspeaker world
-THX in cinema sound world
-Gibson in electric guitar world
-Lamborghini in car world
-Omega in wristwatch world
-Gulfstream in business-jet world

Quality and veeery expencive :)

edit:

Quote:
"..Paris (Hilton) honey, let me just turn off my Conrad-Johnson tube amp and Onyx4 rack, put Omega Speedmaster watch on my wrist and change strings on my handcrafted sunburst Gibson Les Paul and then we can sit in my Lamborghini and drive to the airport where leather seat Gulfstream is waiting for us.."

..who says I don't like "quality" :D
I just wish SGI wasn't selling so much to governement dummies (they don't really know how to use computers so they need support contract, can't have them use an opensource OS, they wouldn't be able to install/configure it, or even recompile/modify a kernel) that would seriously reduce the taxes we all have to pay.
mia wrote:
that would seriously reduce the taxes we all have to pay.

No it wouldn't, the boneheads would just find something else to blow it on.

I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and seems weird and strange to me - Grandpa Simpson
hamei wrote:
Actually, none of that is necessarily true. I know the person in charge of ground tracking for Hubble. They are dumping almost all their SGI gear and changing to Sun because Sun has better performance for much lower costs. And there's another thing - they have one or two big Origins which *need* support contracts (even if it's only for hardware.) Of course SGI refuses to let them buy support for just those machines. If you have 200+ seats of Irix, that's what you get to pay for.

As I said, Hubble ground tracking is dumping SGI in a big way. This has been going on for over a year.

Apparently, the hardware upgrade is aparently not necessary anymore... A nice display of our tax dollars in action...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/02/0 ... index.html
Last time I attended a dinner with some members of a very well known agency, it was like: "Damn, what can we buy this year, we already have thousands of nodes collecting dust, if we don't buy anything over a few hundred million dollars, next year we're not going to get any funding." Well, I guess that's a good thing for SGI federal, bad thing for 250.000,000 tax payers.

Oh, yeah, and the dinner was great too, thank you tax payers, I think I'm going to get more of this 1998 Chateau Sauvergnon and some of this cheesecake as well. Put it on the government's tab, thanks.

This is unfortunately true (but the wine and cheesecake.)

And who cares about hubble, it's watching the sky, no terrorists there, therefore, we don't need it, if only they could make it do a U-turn and watch iraq, damn that would get a hell of a funding. More cheesecake please.
mia wrote:
And who cares about hubble, it's watching the sky, no terrorists there, therefore, we don't need it, if only they could make it do a U-turn and watch iraq, damn that would get a hell of a funding. More cheesecake please.

That's what the fricking shuttle is all about :( A majority of the shuttle 'missions' are military in nature. The scientific end of things is gingerbread plastered over the spy satellite maintenancemobile to make it palatable to the public. Sad :cry: Burrrrp. Good cheesecake, thanks !
Unix workstations aren't dead at HP.
Even if I think that Shrek 2 was redered on a linux render farm, HP recently made available the C8000 with 2 PA8800 1Ghz cores (3MB L1 cache and 32MB level 2 cache!) and 32GB of memory.
Likely someone is still buying this type of Unix Workstation instead of PIV PC on steroids.

Marco/Sat
Satoru wrote:

Who knows, with Carly out of the way , they might make a comeback ....
Satoru wrote:

But it isn't for lack of trying .... HP tried to jam the same Itanic shit down their customers' throats that SGI is pushing now.

However, HP customers were apparently smarter than SGI customers. They refused to buy so HP had to back out of Itanic instead :)

ooh, I see that Carly is gone ! Maybe ... nah. Too late for Silicon Graphics.
Well, the impact of Carly leaving is still to be measured.
I, as a shareowner, have seen only the little spike in stock price, not any real change of direction. Likely it will be the new CEO to really take (or not) a new direction.
Until them nothing is going to change.
As an employee I hope that they will not wipe out the promised pay raise.

Marco/Sat