SGI: Hardware

SGI's first Linux-based Visualization System - Page 3

Damn, the case is the best thing to come out of SGI's product design wise since the Onyx2.

It's a pitty it's a pile of shit.

1) Steal your moms box cheese grater.

2) Run to the hardware store and buy some purple spray paint.

3) Pop the cube logo off that old R5K O2 that's sitting idle under your desk (you know, the one you're resting your feet on while reading this).

4) Paint 'er up and slap in a mini ATX motherboard (or yank the one out of your unsuccessful O2 mod).

5) Bam! Instant high performance computing a la SGI.

Differentiated architecture delivers unrivaled performance and grate-ability. All for less than $500-.
zafunk wrote:
Differentiated architecture delivers unrivaled performance and grate-ability. All for less than $500-.

Hey ! No fair ! You've been taking classes in SGI Corpspeak !

Does it bother anyone else that there's like no content in any of these promo blurbs ? It's all just hot air about reducing roi or enabling magisterial variants of the fantacious grubelicant system to bring a new era to pontacious erudiment-sourcing fantalicants ?

I mean, nothing whatsoever about what's really under the hood.

Oh, Linux and ATi ... no wonder.

btw, do you think they're even aware that people who spent $7,000 to $50,000 less than a couple years ago to buy SGI desktops can't even watch their god-damned Flash presentations ?
zafunk wrote:
No need to spend $30K on a new Prism... make your own!

You're not too far off... a vizsim VAR has been demoing a 2 projector active stereo setup driven by a new PC. Single motherboard, dual processors, dual Quadro? PCI-E x16 graphics cards. The demo screen was small, but bright and impressive. I think the resolution was 2300 or 2400 pixels wide by 1024 tall (2x 1280x1024, minus some for edge blending).

I've been told such PCs will become very cheap within the next few months and that dual/quad CPU with 3 PCI-E x16 slots will follow eventually. The latter is what is exciting many people, they'll finally get to drive a 3 projector reality center (or 6 projector cave via 3 dual channel cards) from a single cheap PC. Need to develop software for such an environment? Buy another such PC, several $400 LCD monitors, and a shelf to stick in your cube.

Funniest thing about the demo? The Windows implementation worked far better than Linux.
hamei wrote:
btw, do you think they're even aware that people who spent $7,000 to $50,000 less than a couple years ago to buy SGI desktops can't even watch their god-damned Flash presentations ?

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. It's part of their marketing "strategy".
most of this is not important to me, most of us on this forum are private collectors.

these things are simply out of reach without robbing a bank (or several?).

i have 2 maxed indigo2's, and once i get my octane nice that's it with sgi for a year or 2.
octane2 is too expensive for me at the moment.
i will be aiming for a nice ultrasparc next.

then after that the octane2 will be on my hitlist - after that only ebay knows :D
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:
i have 2 maxed indigo2's, and once i get my octane nice that's it with sgi for a year or 2.

You can get an Ultra2 with dual 300 MHz and creator graphics for $150 these days. If you hunt around you should be able to find a new-in-box keyboard and mouse for $30. Probably your best bet for $200 Unix.

Octane, dual 300, with MXI/MXE or V6 is really nice too. Even Mozilla and MPlayer run great on it, which is saying a lot!

Of course I'm still living in 1998, where Octane was king, NT was still unstable, Pentiums were slow, Apples were beige, and new BMWs still looked cool.

Now where'd I put that CueCat?...
colin wrote:
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:

You can get an Ultra2 with dual 300 MHz and creator graphics for $150 these days. If you hunt around you should be able to find a new-in-box keyboard and mouse for $30. Probably your best bet for $200 Unix.

Octane, dual 300, with MXI/MXE or V6 is really nice too. Even Mozilla and MPlayer run great on it, which is saying a lot!

Of course I'm still living in 1998, where Octane was king, NT was still unstable, Pentiums were slow, Apples were beige, and new BMWs still looked cool.

well those prices arent in the u.k. :(

and afaik octanes are king, xp is still unstable, pentiums are slow (compared to amd), apples arent as colourfull as they used to be, and the bmw 850i kicks ass! :D
Oh man, $30,000 bucks as a start :shock:
If they are going to get Itanium, the price is going to drop anytime soon :roll:
colin wrote:
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote: i have 2 maxed indigo2's, and once i get my octane nice that's it with sgi for a year or 2.

I've got an official SGI Price Book from February 1998. An Octane with a R10K-250, 128MB RAM, 4GB disk, MXE graphics, and a 20" monitor had a list price of $47,995! Double the memory and add dual-CPUs and the price went up to $61,495!
I want MIPS ... I realldy do hope they don't trop it...

I still don't understand why taking a box and saying it runs "linux os" (oh, how do I hate this marketing term) is a benefit or advantage...

let's stop ranting. We shall code! :)
BTW, which display is going to drive 10M of pixels?, somethink like the IBM IntelliStation T221

and the Viewsonic VP2290 maybe?

BTW, are both the same display?
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
warerat wrote: I've got an official SGI Price Book from February 1998. An Octane with a R10K-250, 128MB RAM, 4GB disk, MXE graphics, and a 20" monitor had a list price of $47,995! Double the memory and add dual-CPUs and the price went up to $61,495!

I've got an R10K MaxImpact Indigo2 with TRAM option and 512M RAM. I wonder what that cost when it was new, I'm sure it was not exactly for free.

And I'm pretty sure the G160 board I put in it cost more than my last diving holidays :shock:
jan-jaap wrote:
warerat wrote: I've got an official SGI Price Book from February 1998. An Octane with a R10K-250, 128MB RAM, 4GB disk, MXE graphics, and a 20" monitor had a list price of $47,995! Double the memory and add dual-CPUs and the price went up to $61,495!

I've got an R10K MaxImpact Indigo2 with TRAM option and 512M RAM. I wonder what that cost when it was new, I'm sure it was not exactly for free.

And I'm pretty sure the G160 board I put in it cost more than my last diving holidays :shock:

i'm sure your right, the golden rule seems to be not to think about what you paid for stuff :(

my idigo's are almost the same,

both r1000-195, 1gig ram,high-impact w/4meg tram.
one has g160 that cost me $80 on ebay :( :( :( and a "channel option" card
the other has an FDDI card and a impact-video card (analog one)

seeing what all this goes for now can almost bring tears to your eyes :(
themacosxflies wrote: BTW, which display is going to drive 10M of pixels?, somethink like the IBM IntelliStation T221

and the Viewsonic VP2290 maybe?

BTW, are both the same display?

I had the possibility to test a viewsonic for a few minutes. Really high dpi rate, but the resolution was kind of interlaced, you wouldn't want to write something in an editor or spreadsheet. But for graphics it was kind of nice. Who needs expensive transistors on the graphics card for antialiasing ... if your eyes can do it much better and cheaper :twisted:

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
My Indigo2 is hands down the best SGI machine I'd ever used (Thank you GamerKarl!). I hope SGI doesn't drop the MIPS machines. Irix rocks.
Just a FYI there's some 1 GHz CPU's and bits for a 320 on ebay incl Mobo

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1Q ... propertyZ1
Sadly won't ship outside of the US. These CPU's are like rocking-horse droppings here in the UK...
I just missed a 4xR10K 195 Onyx on eBay UK last week for 500.00 (ukp) - I could have had it, I just didn't have the space for it. That beast had the Sirius video option, 2Gb RAM, etc. What was the price of one of those in the pricing book...? link here [/url]
Have you asked them to make sure?

I've had heaps of stuff shipped to Aus when the listing said US only, I just asked before bidding

Glenn