SGI: Hardware

What's the fair price for V12 ? - Page 1

HI everyone,

Just wanted to check with you, what would be a fair price to pay for Octane V12 or Fuel V12 ? (or both :) - I know they are not compatible, just checking )

Cheers

There are two on ebay at the moment for €420 and $300 respectively :)

$300 seems very good :)

I got an Octane2 with a V12 installed for next to nothing. Willing buyer ... willing seller ... That is all it takes. A greedy fleabayer who thinks they have something as rare as hens teeth will demand the world even though they know nothing about what they are selling. Another fleabayer will give something valuable away for next to nothing because they also know nothing about what they are selling.

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
Earlier this year I bought an Octane2 graphics assembly with:

* V12 board (last rev.)
* DCD option
* DmediaPro DM2 video option
* an XIO FC card

... for ~ $225 (or was it €225 ?) + shipping :)

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
It depends on how lucky you are. There was a V12 Fuel in unknown condition (with lots of other stuff) for free: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16725527 .

* V12 board (last rev.)
* DCD option
* an XIO FC card

So what would you be willing to sell that for, j-j ? Make a little, pass it on for € 275 ?
hamei wrote:
So what would you be willing to sell that for, j-j ? Make a little, pass it on for € 275 ?

’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

Exactly ! OP was asking what a fair price for a Fuel V12 is. They are rare. There are dealers here trying to grab any they can find to resell to SGI. It's like the pci cages that were worth $250 or so a few years ago. Demand is gone now so they sell for $25 - $50 today. But at the moment, if you want a V12 and you see one for sale, grab it fast and it won't be cheap unless you are very lucky.

If you need a project tho, j-j, being a hardware guy and all, the Fuel / Tezro V10 and V12 boards are the same. Figure out what makes them report themselves as one or the other and you could make a bundle.
Just two weeks ago V12 for Octane sold on ebay.de for 151 Euro. Auction started at 1 Euro, and there were 14 bids, so one can say, that the final price was set by the free market, so this is definitely fair price :-) .

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SGI-Octane-2-Graphic-Card-030-1611-001-Rev-C-/300616049774?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_PC_Systeme&hash=item45fe1ce46e

Dzieki :)

That would make sense, and 151EUR is not as ridiculous as some sellers ask (even $500).
That one was an Octane V12, which is currently in less demand commercially than the Fuel version.

There still seems to be some commercial demand for the Fuel V12. This "WTB Fuel V12 gfx cards or machines with V12" recently appeared in the Hardware Wanted forum:
gopackgo66 wrote:
I'm looking for about 15 V12 grx cards. V12 gfx or V12 only part number 013-3416-007 (030-1726-006)

I've had some got-lucky-on-eBay experiences too, but for the time being you'd probably better expect some competition on that front.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
There still seems to be some commercial demand for the Fuel V12.

Hmm... Feeling pretty good about my 800 MHz V12 Fuel, then. :mrgreen:

(No, it's not for sale. Probably never will be, either!)
jan-jaap wrote:
Earlier this year I bought an Octane2 graphics assembly with:

* V12 board (last rev.)
* DCD option
* an XIO FC card

This is almost exactly what i payed for my Octane2 with V12, DCD, DM2, FC and i also got a nice dual 600 in the same setup ;) But i think i was lucky, because the graphics hadn*t been mentioned in the text of the auction. A long time before this i was on the lookout for a V12 + DCD and never bought one, because the all went for 300€+...

Are we all smoking dope here or something ? Fuel != Octane .

I asked about BOTH Fuel and Octane V12 :)

You're right. Sorry :oops: But what no one bothered to mention to a newcomer is that they are totally different animals. There were a gazillion Octanes sold. Parts are pretty reasonable these days. There were not so many Fuels and Tezros sold. Everyone wants the V12, there aren't so many available. Much different price. This is similar to the situation with the Octane 400 mhz cpu and the O2 400 mhz cpu. Same chip, totally different prices. If you have an Octane, you can get a v12 easy and a reasonable retail price (not "Look what I scored on Ebay !!") will be aournd $250 - $350. For the Fuel and Tezro, it will be a fight and whatever you pay will be based on luck. I blew it on a $150 Fuel V12 recently, still kicking myself.

btw, the late Fuel / Tezro V10's, V12's are exactly the same. If one of our talented hardware/software guys figured out the secret sauce, s/he could make a fortune doing conversions.
I would probably bet on some small ID in the Card which tells the OS whether it's Fuel or Tezro - and the workaround might be similar to the one for TG3 Gig Ethernet in Fuel's - couple small changes in the driver and that should be it :)
Now - who has a spare Tezro V12 then ? :P
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
hamei wrote: btw, the late Fuel / Tezro V10's, V12's are exactly the same. If one of our talented hardware/software guys figured out the secret sauce, s/he could make a fortune doing conversions.

Leaving Octane out, I can identify these versions:

Code: Select all

part#          eeprom id
V10, Fuel, old rev.    030_1725_00x   ASTODYB
V10, Fuel, new rev.    030_1826_00x   ASTODYV10
V12, Fuel              030_1726_00x   ASTODY
V12, Tezro             030_1884_00x   ODY128B1_2

'AST' is for 'Asterix', the codename for Fuel. 'ODY' is short for Odyssey, the codename for VPro graphics.

If you scan the 'hinv' forum, you will see that in all modded O350's with a V10 or V12, it identifies itself as ASTODY, ASTODYB or ASTODYV10. Looks like nobody butchered a Tezro to mod an O350 :lol:

Now, I suspect that changing the contents of an EEPROM is possible from the L1 using some more or less undocumented calls (this is an entirely different discussion :mrgreen: ), but changing the part number is a different game. Unless they changed everything for VPro on Fuel/Tezro, the part number is stored in a NIC chip, which is written once (at the factory) and cannot be modified. It would have to be replaced with a new one with the correct part#.

Inside the IRIX kernel, a device driver can scan for NIC part numbers using nic_vmc_add(): http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... info_set.z This would be the logical way to make the software tell the two cards apart. It is also how IRIX activates the keyboard & mouse ports on an (Onyx2) IO6G, but not on an Origin 2000 (IO6).

So, in order to "make a fortune", you would have to
1) Have a bunch of the correct late rev. V10's
2) Have a bunch of dead V12's to rip the NIC chips off.
3) Hope you can actually change the EEPROM
3) Replace the part# label stickers on the cards

... and even then, (if the customer is actually SGI themselves), you'd better cross your fingers, because SGI probably has a database of part#/serial# for support purposes, and all your serial#'s (the ABC123 thingie) would show up as V10 parts ...

IMHO there are less cumbersome ways to make a few bucks.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

jan-jaap wrote: So, in order to "make a fortune", you would have to

Of course, 'fortune' is a relative term. But given that unemployment is running a good 15%, I'd think that more than a paltry few people would consider a few thousand dollars extra per year to be a reasonable facimile thereof :)

Dr D had a different theory (Recondas can dredge it up in about thirty seconds, I bet) but if you are correct :

1) Have a bunch of the correct late rev. V10's

How many V10 Fuels are there out in the wild ? How many owners would pay $100 to upgrade to a V12 ? That's your 'target' customer.
2) Have a bunch of dead V12's to rip the NIC chips off.

I'm going to assume that those chips are commercially available. I know, with SGI you can never assume anything like that - their serial port cards use their own wacked-out chips. But the Fuel was built fairly recently.
3) Hope you can actually change the EEPROM

There's the tricky part
3) Replace the part# label stickers on the cards

Even I can do that :P

... and even then, (if the customer is actually SGI themselves)

Why would you waste your time with SGI ? It's all the Fuel owners who want V12's. SGI has the prints. If they are too stupid to make more of their own parts, too bad for them.

And please don't tell me how much it costs. I live in China.

IMHO there are less cumbersome ways to make a few bucks.

You must be a 1%-er :P
hamei wrote: Dr D had a different theory (Recondas can dredge it up in about thirty seconds, I bet).

hamei is probably referring to one of these Dr. Dave posts, though if you haven't already seen it, the entire thread is worth reading.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720976&start=30#p7300469
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720976&start=45#p7300506
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *