SGI: hinv

[...] - Page 2

null
hamei wrote: Oddly enough, that thought never occurred to me ...

Shame on you Hamei, didn't everyone know this? :lol: :?

/Jonas
Image Image Image Image Image Image

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
dukzcry wrote:

Didn't anybody think that Tezro curves looks like clot of menstruation blood and have a colour of McDonald's Grimace? :<

BTW, this HDD cage looks similar to Intel's one.

You sure have an ‘interesting’ imagination... :roll:

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
I have the same spec except only with 4GB of RAM. I gonna upgrade my RAM in the future to 8GB. Your case seems to be in very good condition with no scratch marks, great care you have

Thank you, I'm very happy with it. What does your setup look like? Do you have the entire VBOB, Lucid ADA , etc. hooked up? (With SD/HD VTR, broadcast monitor, etc. as well?)

That's a pity. But yes, it's pricey stuff. Not to mention you have to invest on XLR cables and what-not as well. I could go for a Lucid though, I didn't originally buy it (and I feel sorry for it now, since the seller had it for sale; but I thought I wouldn't have any use for one). My brother is very much into audio, so that's another reason.

As for the RAM, do you mean if it was expensive? Yes, compared to regular PC RAM rates, unfortunately it was. But very much worth it in my opinion; for one thing it'll allow high-res., like 2K and 4K (I've tested it and goes great). A good investment! Most Tezros out there have the 3GB minimum, which I find surprising. Though, perhaps years back the memory was even more expensive than it currently is. (Even for the big post-production facilities and the leasers, by the looks of it).

modology wrote:
Does your wacom 4D Mouse works in IRIX?

Yes it does. Doesn't yours work for you? Maybe Autodesk/Discreet's DLwacom doesn't support the mice? I'm not sure. Either way, I run the 4.80 Wacom IRIX driver (the last one that was released) and it works fine for me.

I've recently ‘upgraded’ one of the internal HDDs, the SGI -branded 73 GB disk that came configured with the system originally) to a Fujitsu 300 GB disk (purchased from Ian). It's wonderful, and so silent too!

the old fc barracudas did well, too.

Yes it does, quite a bit too. Here are some SCSI HDD benchmarks that Ian performed recently. As I said it's also a lot more silent too, which is very pleasant. Check out his SCSI items page (though it isn't updated yet with the latest offerings), though you should probably e-mail him (so he can inform you about shipping rates also, see his site for the address [I won't post it here, to avoid possible spam-bots picking it up]).

Tell you what I've been pleased as hell with - a $ 40 new 500GB Hitachi sata disk. Quiet as a mouse and seems to be just as fast as the scsi drives that came stock in the Fool.
I don't trust (S)ATA HDDs, too many have died on me in the past. While I do have several (rather inevitable with peecees), but they're attached to my Linux file server system in a LVM array. So my Tezro can still benefit from it via NFS over gigabit, which works excellently.

Besides, adding extra internal HDDs into a Tezro is rather troublesome (space-wise). For a SATA disk I don't feel like possibly ruining the airflow/circulation or to let one rest on top of the DVD-ROM drive...

but scsi disks are made for the commercial environment and redundancy where if a disk fails it's not a big deal. so I guess they really aren't made to last. I kind of expect scsi disks to fail, but it was a real shock to have an ata-type drive die on me.

Well, that certainly isn't my experience. Did you second-hand buy all those SCSI disks by any chance? The thing is, while mechanically speaking the drives may indeed suffer from the same sort of failures (bearings wearing out, to name something), SCSI and FC are often in the 10K and 15K+ RPM range, thus are better suited for RAID/LVM protection via mirroring and striping (being a lot faster). Aside reliability, about which opinions seem very mixed, the whole (P/S)ATA versus SCSI/FC discussion: You can't deny that SCSI and particularly FC outrun SATA easily. I haven't even mentioned iSCSI or SAS, the latter being an awkward hybrid of SCSI and SATA (in some regards) which appears to be making significant inroads...

Ian should probably contribute to this discussion, as an authority on storage and SCSI in particular. Recently he has been extensively running tests with all sorts of SCSI disks (including some of the most recent 300 GB 15Ks), see the link I've posted earlier for his benchmarks.

Well, that certainly isn't my experience. Did you second-hand buy all those SCSI disks by any chance? The thing is, while mechanically speaking the drives may indeed suffer from the same sort of failures (bearings wearing out, to name something), SCSI and FC are often in the 10K and 15K+ RPM range, thus are better suited for RAID/LVM protection via mirroring and striping (being a lot faster).
I have a lot of second hand scsi disks and a lot of second hand sata disks. I rarely buy anything new.

eMGee wrote:
Aside reliability, about which opinions seem very mixed, the whole (P/S)ATA versus SCSI/FC discussion: You can't deny that SCSI and particularly FC outrun SATA easily. I haven't even mentioned iSCSI or SAS, the latter being an awkward hybrid of SCSI and SATA (in some regards) which appears to be making significant inroads...

imo, scsi for speed, sata for capacity and longevity.

Maybe because a 15k disk is double the speed of a 7.2 disk we can expect them to last half as long? That's certainly been my experience, anyways. YMMV.