SGI: hinv

[...] - Page 3

I just noticed your last post, with which I have to disagree or — let's say — just don't share (experience-wise). So, I'll add: I personally never had a SCSI disk fail on me to this date, plenty of SATA disks though. Maybe you shouldn't buy second-hand SCSI disks then? That'd seem like a more fair comparison too (as it's more likely that you'd buy new SATA ones, considering the price and availability). If that's what you meant with YMMV ( Your Mileage May Vary? [I'm not from North America, neither very aware of all expressions] ), then I guess that's it.

I'm not comparing given MTBF failures or any concrete data... I just said I've seen a lot more SCSI disks fail than ATA disks. I also use a lot more ATA disks than SCSI disks. Most ATA disks I see are 10+ years old, my most recent SCSI faiure was at the end of July, in my octane, with a disk that I bought new in 2007.

However, if the silent fujitsu hype is to be believed I might pick up a pair for my PC.

how's the noise coming out of the tez? can you work for more than 1h? could you do a quick+dirty vid w/ the mic being 1m away from it?

all the ones i've seen so far were in a separate room or inside a rack.

looks so dang seKsy!
fu wrote:
looks so dang seKsy!

Oh-oh. fu's getting the itch :D
^ oh man! neko's tez thread did it

mr kowalski , me is a fool for colour voodoo
fu wrote:
mr kowalski , me is a fool for colour voodoo

Could you make a movie like that now, do you think ?

Good thing I'm poor ... don't think I could decide between an Onyx2, an Onyx 3200, a Tezro, or something home-made. Or a Reality Monster for the living room. Oh yeah.

You need a new SGI, fu. It's time to quit considering them as tools and just hold that Snap-On wrench in hand, marvel at its beauty. I have all Etalon mikes, just turning the thimbles gets me as hard as Chinese arithmetic.What to choose, what to choose ...
hamei wrote:
Could you make a movie like that now, do you think ?

hell yeah

you are kowalski, recondas is supersoul, sky is chief policeman leading the young ones (pent, sybr, aj et al). i'll probably have to write a new character for neko's stoicism (garage owner w/ the funky engines?). we'll need a few girls too but i'll work on it.

hamei wrote:
You need a new SGI, fu. It's time to quit...

your muzik…rock 'n' roll is a ssatanic...is a ssatanic…muzik!

promise you'll machine something cool to dump the noisemakers inside lao mei. migraine ain't fun.
fu wrote:
eM, is the layout of your workspace still similar to the photos of your 1st post?

More or less, yes. In the meanwhile I also added a DDS-4 drive in an external SCSI enclosure, for all the necessary back-up'ing and archiving.

Quote:
how's the noise coming out of the tez? can you work for more than 1h? could you do a quick+dirty vid w/ the mic being 1m away from it?

It's okay actually, not worse than an Indigo2 ; especially if you have modern 10K and 15K SCSI disks in it. I had a rather noisy 73 GB Seagate disk in it, which I replaced with one 146 GB Maxtor and another 300 GB Fujitsu disk (one of those modern ones). Works great, very fast and they produce a lot less nois too! The noisiest thing here is my FC SAN, although I did manage to silence it to a very bearable degree.

As for the video, I'll do that. I'll try to do that one of these days.

Quote:
all the ones i've seen so far were in a separate room or inside a rack.

I don't have that luxury over here, although I don't at all ‘mind’ the sight of it!

something quick+dirty will do, feel free to pm me for a link, doesn't have to be on youtube

as for the rack, hamei will build mine if i go out of control, he has some really nice cnc machines