Japan

Have any one seen any good anime lately? - Page 1

Anime fourm seens kind of dead. So... Have you seen any good anime lately. I dont get that much time to watch anime anymore. :cry: Not until winter and summer break comes.
I've just seen the new Final Fantasy movie Advent Children. I haven't played the game series so I came to it cold. I saw the first movie but i know it has nothing to do with the games (or the second movie). All i can say is WOW! Easily the best CGI I've ever seen. Makes the first one look like tom and jerry ;)

It probably makes a lot more sense to people who are familiar to the universe but i enjoyed it anyway. wonder if they used SGI machines on this one?
Gray Fox,

Why not just do a random download of a episode/series and play it by ear, that's how I found a lot of interesting series.
I've gone to watching lots of classic stuff, as I'm now on a Uni connection and it's a bit tricky to aquire new stuff :)
rob wrote: I've gone to watching lots of classic stuff, as I'm now on a Uni connection and it's a bit tricky to aquire new stuff :)

University cracking down on all BT/*mule traffic are they. Well you could always go the route of Usenet
There's a massive notice up saying "Don't do it", so I'll just wait until I go back home in a couple of weeks :)
voth wrote: Gray Fox,

Why not just do a random download of a episode/series and play it by ear, that's how I found a lot of interesting series.

I wish that I could, but i have dial-up. :cry:
Watched all six episodes of Furi Kuri this weekend....

If you have not seen it, see it now, at all costs. No review does it any justice, people will interpret the story however they want and still be far from the truth.

The fact is, it is just fun to watch.
VenomousPinecone wrote: Watched all six episodes of Furi Kuri this weekend....

If you have not seen it, see it now, at all costs. No review does it any justice, people will interpret the story however they want and still be far from the truth.

The fact is, it is just fun to watch.

I seen all the fooly cooly episodes. Like to see them all again.
Alteredninth wrote: All i can say is WOW! Easily the best CGI I've ever seen. Makes the first one look like tom and jerry ;)

what makes you think so? i found the main problem with the first one in the look department to be the animation, otherwise it was quite nicely done imho. now, advent children looks like motion captured or rotoscoped body animation as well, there are a few horribly weird anims in there too. facial stuff ranges from impressive and subtle to totally laughable. hair animation i remember to be better in the first, cloth sim/dynamics were nicer in advent children though.
one impressive thing that advent children had was the extreme close-ups on some characters where you could literally see every pore of their skin or surface details on their clothing.

as for the movie itself, i too haven't played FF7, so i didn't get a lot of the story (listening to japanese and trying to catch up with english subtitles didn't help either :D ) but i somehow dislike the whole videogame style. the first one was more serious and - i think - overall better, yet still not good ;)
btw. there's also a 2d/hand drawn FF7 spin off that's called FF7: last order.
I saw miyazaki's 'Howls Moving Castle' two weeks ago - most excellent and this week I've been OD-ing on Crest/Banner of the Stars - totally excellent! And as ever in these matters, USENET is your friend...
I heartily recommend full metal alchemist to everyone. if, after the first two awesome episodes, a few are a little slow, keep with it. I really got a lot out of it.
Thanks ya all.

But most of the anime you all requested I have seen.
Kino's Journey just came out in DVD box set recently if you like the more philosophical anime, and Planets is also very good if you are into more realistic anime.
Last night I watched some anime movies on TCM, they played the 2 movies two times in english and then in japanese.
Gray Fox,

Have you had a chance to see Karin, Blood+, or Jigoku Shoujo yet?
voth wrote:
Gray Fox,

Have you had a chance to see Karin, Blood+, or Jigoku Shoujo yet?

Nope, How are they?
Short synopsis of the three (taken from AnimDB with links)

Karin
Karin is about a normal girl that goes to school, or so we might think. In reality, she`s the daughter in a family of vampires, though Karin is an exception to the other family members. She somehow produces blood! What a disgrace to the family!

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... rch=search

Blood+
The war never stops: in a different time, on a different battlefield, hiding deeply into the folds of History… They are called Chiropterans. They can change their form and disguise as human beings, but they are not. They are immortal creatures that feed off blood.

An organization, named Red Shield, has been fighting to exterminate this pestilence, and the struggle has now evolved into something of a much bigger scale.

Okinawa, Japan. Year 2005. Now.

Saya Otonashi is a high-school girl living peacefully with her family – with one exception: she has no memory of her life except for the past year. One day, a startling event causes her happy life to shatter into pieces.

An enemy to destroy, a mission to accomplish – the vortex of an ancient struggle is dragging Saya back to her destiny. A young and handsome cello player in dark clothes appears – his name is Hagi. The moment he hands Saya a Japanese sword, History starts a new course.

Will Saya be able to restore her memory and find her own ident

Jigoku Tsushin
There is a rumor. There exists a message board called “Jigoku Tsushin” where one can access only at midnight. It is said that if one writes his grudge against someone, Jigoku Shoujo appears and she takes the person to the Hell.

I've liked the series (all) up to this point, if you have a chance you should check them out.
Yakitate, ended few days ago, about bread making, very funny, don't think it will be so funny once it's translated to English.

Major 2nd, a squal, for baseball fans.
Another series you may want to check out: Black Lagoon

Reference link:
http://www.blacklagoon.jp/

From Anidb
Based on the manga by Hiroe Rei.
When Okajima Rokuro visited South East Asia carrying top secret file, he was kidnapped by the pirates riding in a torpedo boat, “Black Lagoon”. Although he thought he would be rescued soon, the company sent mercenaries to shut his mouth.