SGI: Computer Graphics

houdini 6.5 irix - Page 1

is out :D
r-a-c.de
you mean Houdini Releae 6.5 for IRIX??... sidefx.com website still talks about Houdini 6.1 ... you have any other links about it?

and also.. voices told me that Sidefx will drop IRIX support since version 7.0 :( .. anyone can confirm that?

EDITED : Found it :) i'll try it later tonight on my octane.. now trying on XP... and found some bugs.. it must be a Gold release btw.. i guess.
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----
It's not a gold release, it's still beta. SESI will release new builds weekly, until all major bugs are discovered and squashed. Then it will go Gold, it was the same with 6.1.
DaJuice wrote: It's not a gold release, it's still beta. SESI will release new builds weekly, until all major bugs are discovered and squashed. Then it will go Gold, it was the same with 6.1.

.. and i found some already :) ..

do you also have any news about IRIX support dropping by SideFX?
----

----
hello,

for 6.5 look at:
http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/cd1_6.5.51

one person said the 'v7 last irix' stuff some time ago but nobody confirmed it.
well informed people also never heard of this. we'll see...
r-a-c.de
did you successfully installed it?.. its first time that i cant get it installed..
i downloaded the tar.gz file then i have a Tar file and two directories, where inside one directory ther's a 'houdini_install' script. If i run it it popups the usual winterm windows but instead of installing it it tells me that i must run the setup as root (while I am root when running the script).

maybe i really have to login as root instead of doing 'su", even if this sounds strange?

the windows version installed properly instead.. but some bugs makes it crash or close down very often here. :)
----

----
i never used the install script.
just extract the houdini.tar.gz from inside the extracted download file to a folder of your choice.
r-a-c.de
thanks.. i'll give a try later tonight.. how you found it btw? stable enought?
----

----
crappy!

6.5.51 crashes everytime i wanna use open or save dialogs.
6.5.53 even doesn't startup!

quick-checked the new features and if you're happy with 6.1 and don't miss something
special stay with it!
r-a-c.de
Are there any newer versions for IRIX past 6.5.51? I was planning on posting a note on the front page but version 6.5.83 appears to be Linux/Windows only ...
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
damn.. i hope they're just bit late with IRIX release... i wont imagine if houdini has been really dismissed from IRIX :(
----

----
sum][one wrote: damn.. i hope they're just bit late with IRIX release... i wont imagine if houdini has been really dismissed from IRIX :(

no, the 6.5.x version are just for testing so the supported versions will diff. sometimes.
try this: http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/houdini-6.5.67/

worked fine for me.
r-a-c.de
the link is down. Is there anyway I get get the latest version of Houdini apprentice for irix?
I believe the Irix version was dropped some time ago. I remember checking into that a few years ago.
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:
Aren't there any archived versions of Houdini 6.5 mirrored somewhere?

All Rights Reserved.
I stuck it on ftp.nekochan.net under /pub/irix/Graphics.
All Rights Reserved.
Thanks a lot neko!
SGI: :Indigo2IMP: :Fuel: :O2: :Octane2:
Sun: Ultra2, Ultra60, Sun Fire 4800
Apple: G3, Powermac G4 MDD, PowerMac G5, Mac Mini, iBook G4 12", MBP
Dec 3000
IBM RS/6000
AMD64 FreeBSD box
Not a problem at all. I'm working on trying to get a good tarball of 6.5.67 from foetz; might have something in a week or so.
All Rights Reserved.
Hi,
i just tested the 6.5.51 version
Just as someone said before, all you need to do is untar it to /opt and then get the sesi folder from old version 6.1 and get an apprentice license via
http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php
the license generated for 8.2 version work well for all 6 versions ...
I even made a good install script ... if someone else want it i can put it here ... if it doesn't disturb the rules ...
But, 6.5.51 version crashes on file open and save
the 6.1.208 and 6.1.303 versions work great
The 5.5.230 version too....
By the way, did someone notice any difference fron 5.5 to 6.1 ?
Seems to me the 5.5 version is very stable and fast compared to 6.1.
I have an O2 r12k 400Mhz, 256 ram, no AV i/o, 1280x1024x75, 6.5.30.
I also put some questions on sidefx forums where i'm registered from 2005 ... and here is the answer:
"
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 pm Post subject:

No, Side Effects hasn't developed for IRIX for some time now. I don't think anyone in this business does anymore.

Cheers,

J.C.
"