SGI: Computer Graphics

SGI Art Gallery - Page 2

Before this thread gets hijacked further - here's an eight page thread on computer names:

viewtopic.php?t=311

All Rights Reserved.
Ouch!

I haven't been slapped that hard since I squeezed my first girlfriend's tits. :(

I take it Neko you want to kill this thread? :wink:

No, but the title of the thread is "SGI Art Gallery" in IRIX: Computer Graphics ... let's try and keep it on topic :)

All Rights Reserved.
Quote:
No, but the title of the thread is "SGI Art Gallery" in IRIX: Computer Graphics ... let's try and keep it on topic

Fair call. Point taken. :)

So I finally got settled in here with my Octane and after brainstorming what to do, I came up with two things:

1) It's got tons of RAM so obviously that means high res images which means printing res which means I made a cafepress shop.

http://www.cafepress.com/cultmonkey/

So there's some of my art made on an SGI.

Which isn't really spectacular art-wise, but I just like the novelty of doing everything on my Octane.

2) 3D art. I taught myself how to make character models in Blender. So I work for some company that makes some multimedia deaf literacy education software and I did rotoscoping (is that the term?) over a video to make a character do sign language.

Now to figure out how to upload the very very short clip.

I need to get myself a server so I can put up more than a cafepress shop.

I have a 3D alien dude with a tie and a combover.

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
I've been fiddling with Maya 4.5 off and on (mostly off) since '03. I jump around quite a bit between materials, lighting, mental ray, etc. I've spent very little time with animating scenes and modeling, which is why most of the crap I do is spheres and cubes. Though I know the basics of each I just haven't concentrated on them too much. My focus has always been photorealistic scenes. I've long been enamored with those. The kind of pictures that you have to sit there and think about it if it's real or not is what I want to do... When I get off my ass and teach myself modeling.

This is from a few months ago. A simple flat plane with a cracked mud texture, some chrome spheres, and a single ambient light that is slightly yellow in color to try and simulate sunlight. Then all of that is inside one big sphere with a wide angle picture overlooking San Francisco mapped to the inside of it. A "fake" HDRI of sorts. Then a depth of field lens shader in mental ray for the blurriness. Rendered at 1280x720 on an 8 CPU Origin.

One of my all time favorites... Fiat Lux.

Silicon Graphics, Alias|Wavefront and Mental Images. Ahhh.

http://www.debevec.org/FiatLux/

Paul Haeberli photographed the "cafe" environment map in Cafe Verona in Palo Alto, CA. He used a Nikon film camera with 180 fisheye lens that he borrowed from Ned Greene while he was working at NYIT. To create the full 360 degree environment, Paul mirrored the front 180 degree image to create a plausible back 180 degrees, and then stitched the two images together to produce a complete environment. This environment map, along with another one shot in a flower garden, shipped as the two environment map choices in Silicon Graphics' popular real-time shading demos. In December 2003 Paul unearthed the original fisheye image used to create the Cafe environment map, and the full 360 map derived from it.

Always thought it was good idea to have a thread like this - so let's revive it from the dead...!

The buyer for my Indigo2 didn't come through, so I've been playing with the Warp function in Creator a bit...

Original:

Warp function:

Final result after some retouching and curves:

SGIs were after all made for graphics, so let's see if you have some cool stuff!
some stuff i have done this month with blender....

regards

Laurent

Very nice :D

I assume it is made with Irix Blender, on you SGI hardware?

If so, which machine, and your setup of that machine. And was the workflow (performance) good while using it?

I hope I get some time over soon, so I can play with my SGI hardware for real. Right now I have to make 3D graphics that requires my main PC workstation. So all "3D time" has to be spent on "serious" stuff.. No fun at all.

/Jonas

Old polygon wrangler

the setup is:

Octane2 dual R14k 600 8Gb 73+36+36 V12
Onyx quad r10k 2Gb 4x18Gb IR 4RM6-64 + MCO
Origin 2800 16 R12k 400Mhz 8 Gb 5x32 Gb + 73, no gfx (SSE+Tram inside but no IO6G)
HP DL585G3 quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz (soon quad core) 16 Gb 3x72 Gb Radeon 9250 PCI (legacy)

Laurent

Attachment:
Enchanted_Ocean_On_Neptune_by_Fruechtebrot.jpg

Some of the pictures on my deviantart-page are rendered with my Fuel workstation.
http://fruechtebrot.deviantart.com
@Martin Steen: this fractal rendering is done on a fuel? which software did you use?

@Martin Steen: this fractal rendering is done on a fuel? which software did you use?

I write my own software. The Fractal-Explorer is an OpenGL-Programm with a GUI that runs on
Windows or Linux, the renderer is a simple commandline-program that can run on every plattform
for which I have a C++ compiler.

Best regards,
Martin
Martin Steen wrote:
I write my own software.

With software like that, you don't need LSD anymore, that's for sure :D

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
@Martin Steen: it's produces really nice images!

@Martin Steen: it's produces really nice images!

Thank you very much! :D
It's all about finding the right place deep in the "valley of seahorses" and then
using a good color mapping algorithm.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SeaHorseValley.html

Best regards,
Martin

@moderator: thank you for making the picture preview
fzalfa wrote:
some stuff i have done this month with blender....

Amazing :shock: Are the character models your own too? Really nice work anyway!

Great to see someone use hardware like an Onyx1 to do some serious 3D in 2009 :D

jmc
Quote:
I hope I get some time over soon, so I can play with my SGI hardware for real. Right now I have to make 3D graphics that requires my main PC workstation. So all "3D time" has to be spent on "serious" stuff.. No fun at all.

What are the specs of your main modeling workstation on your site?