Everything Else

My new computer room - Page 1

This thread will be a sort of diary of the construction of my new computer room.

In our previous house, I used to have the attic to myself for my computer business. The arrangement with my wife (then GF) was simple: as long as I managed to fit everything in, it was my problem. With a little persistence it was possible to move a deskside up the stairs, and this is how it looked:

When we moved into our current how about 5 or 6 years ago, this didn't work anymore because the attic is less spacious, and the washing machine and dryer are in the attic too (read: lots of dust). So, part of my collection ended up in a bedroom, the library went into the attic, and some of the bigger machines into the garage. Then we had kids, and last year I had to give up 'my' bedroom. So now, both the attic and the garage are very full, and it's almost like I've turned a large chunk of our house into storage rather than playground:

This is where most people would give up and get rid of their systems. I'm not like most people :D That left me with two options: construct an extension to the house, or rent a (business) facility somewhere. I chose the former. Unfortunately, our grounds are a trapezium shape: wide at the front, more narrow in the back.

I can literally park at least five cars on my own ground in the front of the house, but due to the way other houses around me are lined up I wasn't allowed to construct there. Bummer. This stalled things for a while, until I found an architect with the right connections. Then I got my permit :)

So here's the plan. I've got permission to demolish our current garage and replace it with a building of 5m wide, and the front can be as close as 2.5m from the front facade of the house. I still need a garage, not to park cars, but for bikes, extra fridges, food storage, garden equipment, you know ...

The room marked (1.7), 'woonfunctie', will be my new computer room. It's about 25 square meter, and that ought to be enough ;) Behind it, turned 90 degrees from the current arrangement it the new 'garage'. It's a pretty big building compared to the current garage:
old_situation.gif
old_situation.gif (10.25 KiB) Viewed 2788 times

Right now, we're waiting for the end of the winter (it's currently -10c and everything is covered in snow). When I have more news, I'll folow up on this thread.

Oh, and I have some ideas about how to arrange my equipment, and some nifty innovations since this room is constructed from the start as a computer room. Stay tuned ...
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Nice collection and project!
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL
There's a legend, deep in the jungle, about a new clearing where everything but the old O350's go......

:D Very Nice!
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Lovely. I'm moving in Mars and will make a computer room out of the new garage. It will be fun to follow your construction for inspiration.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
AbFab! :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
I'm curious how this turns out...
Are you planning to use a raised floor in the room? It's the first thing I'll do when
I get a computer room... All the cables lying on the floor building up dust traps
everywhere are a real pain. Not to speak of the bad aesthetics it gives...
:A3502L: :O2000: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :320: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
+ | d | i | g | i | t | a | l | +apple +[...] ;)
Voralyan wrote: Are you planning to use a raised floor in the room?

Cable management is on of the things taken into account from the start.
I'm planning a gutter in the concrete floor, some 10cm deep, 20cm wide, all around along the wall. The heating will be in the floor too, but the tubing is never close enough to the wall to be in the way. This has to be designed with the builder; you don't want to floor to crack because it is thinner in some places.

I plan to use a laminate floor (does that word exist in English? It's 'artificial' wood, in planks or tiles), and use tiles cut from the same material to cover the gutter. The tiles would have holes in then in order to pull them out, but also to guide the cables in.

The other 'specials' are:

Power
I've got two extra power groups, 220V with slow 16A fuses (normal fuses are fast, which makes it hard to re-engage the fuse if it trips with a lot of systems running). These two groups are dedicated to computers, with the large systems on one group and the file server and infrastructure on the other. The second group doesn't need a lot of power, but it's annoying if everything goes offline in case a big Onyx trips a fuse.

I will keep an eye on progress made with solar panels. The server + infrastructure draw ~ 100 ... 150W 24/7 and I believe this kind of usage if well suited to panels (unlike e.g. a washing machine which uses 2500W for 2 hours and then nothing). Right now, IMHO they are not a wise investment because they have a ROI of > 10 years.

Cooling
With so much hardware under a tarmac roof isn't going to be fun in summer, unless I get air conditioning. I have to sort out the details, but will have a duct installed in the roof during construction.

Connectivity
I've got fiber-to-the-home (internet, TV, radio, telephone). Everything is concentrated in the closet with the fuse panel, so I will run two large tubes from there to the cupboard (1.6, 'kast'). Forget the usual yellow PVC tubing used for this, these will be more like a sewer pipes :-) This gives me the flexibility to add more outlets in the computer room (on the opposite side of the wall) later on.

I will also expand our alarm system to include this new room. I'll keep the details of that to myself ;)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Wow, this is a really nice project. I am living in a two room flat with my gf and I would love to have a dedicated computer room. I have one in the flat of Spain, but here in London it would be crazy :) .
Image _ Betty Blue _
R12000A 400 Mhz ; 1 Gb RAM ; 72 Gb 15K HDD; IRIX 6.5.29
CrystalEyes; Dial Box; O2Cam "ZEYE"; external Toshiba SD-M1711 DVD-ROM; Octane speakers;
Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_ REKIEM_I7 _
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_ REKIEM_T5400 _
875W PSU / 2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown 4 x 3,33 Ghz / 1 x Geforce 4Gb GTX 970 / 1 x Geforce 1Gb GTX 750 / 32 Gb DDR2 667 ECC / Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD and 3 extra Tb
_ Raspberry Pi _
:|
jan-jaap wrote: Power
I've got two extra power groups, 220V with slow 16A fuses (normal fuses are fast, which makes it hard to re-engage the fuse if it trips with a lot of systems running).

Are you talking about fuses or circuit breakers ? It's been a looong time but I remember that fuses for electronics are specially made to be even faster than normal fuses. Slow fuses are for inductive loads like motors, that have a high startup requirement but then drop back down. With electronics, you don't want power slowly drizzling in after something has gone wrong. "Slowly" being a relative term, of course ...
[[C|-|E]] wrote: I am living in a two room flat with my gf and I would love to have a dedicated computer room

I'm sooooo happy I don't live in an urban jungle :D We have two young sons, a 'real' house with a garden is a real blessing.
hamei wrote: Are you talking about fuses or circuit breakers ?

Circuit breakers. Fuses (the porcelain things) are a thing of the past. My house is only ~ 10 years old.

I'll also need an extra ground breaker (we're allowed 4 power groups per ground breaker I believe).

Oh, and last but not least, I'll have to see if I can connect the new room to the current fire alarm system. I don't know much about how it works; it was there when we bought the house ... I will also have a fire-resistant door installed.

Another part of the logistics that *fingers crossed* seems to be working out is this:

* I have 23 SGI workstations, servers and big iron (not counting spares)
* 4 of those are headless (servers, Origins, Challenges etc.), 3 have DVI out.

The vast majority (16 systems) have analog display output, and either PS/2 or SGI 4D keyboard/mouse input. There's obviously no way I'm going to install 1 keyboard/screen/screen for every system. Waste of space, and I have only one pair of hands to operate them anyway :mrgreen:

Fortunately, I recently cracked my problem with KVM switches which plagued me for many years . So I will probably try to find a nice, but solid 'display rack' to put the vast majority of my workstations, and hook them all up to a single keyboard/mouse/screen. The Tezro and Onyx2 can share a monitor (or better: a dual head setup :) ).

Update: a couple of weeks ago, I emptied the garage. All large systems are now in storage.

Last Thursday the contractors arrived. By now, the old garage is mostly gone:

The new building will roughly cover the area where the pavement has been removed.

I realized just in time there was an airco unit sitting on the roof which is now gone, so I had someone attach it to the wall instead...

Foundations are laid. In the red box: two 75mm pipes for network cables etc.

wow, it really looks good!! I would like to have a computer room like that one :D
__Zacatito__ Image 600 MHZ R14000; 17GBytes HD
__Nopalito__ Image 200 MHZ R5000; 9GBytes HD
Guadalajara, Jal and Aguascalientes, Ags
Mexico
jan-jaap wrote: Cable management is on of the things taken into account from the start.
I'm planning a gutter in the concrete floor, some 10cm deep, 20cm wide, all around along the wall.
Is this the reason for the double framing around the foundation? Or did the cable routing gutter not make it into the final plans?
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
J-J, all these computers but no peripherals ! You need at least a printer. Maybe a Tektronix 480 or similar would be appropriate ?
Look again, there's a HP Color Laser 2500 hidden somewhere. JetDirect, PostScript, and way too big. I rarely print anything so I should probably get rid of it :)

Actually, what you see there is just the result of unloading the storage box. Nothing is wired. Most of the large items went into storage while construction was going on, and the small stuff is still in the attic. I have a scsi HP ScanJet 3 or 4 (?), a couple of space mice, various external DAT/CD/DVD etc devices. Still looking for a suitable tablet.

jan-jaap wrote: Look again, there's a HP Color Laser 2500 hidden somewhere.

Kinda modern ... maybe a nice pen plotter of some sort ?

the small stuff is still in the attic. I have a scsi HP ScanJet 3 or 4 (?), a couple of space mice, various external DAT/CD/DVD etc devices. Still looking for a suitable tablet.

Dials and Buttons. You definitely need dials and buttons on at least one machine ...
hamei wrote: Kinda modern ... maybe a nice pen plotter of some sort ?
I saw an HP 7475a pen plotter sitting in the scrap bin at work today, those things were thousands of dollars when they were new... :shock: :cry:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: I saw an HP 7475a pen plotter sitting in the scrap bin at work today, those things were thousands of dollars when they were new... :shock: :cry:

You should grab it ! You can make it work with Irix, pretty sure those run HP-GL so drivers shouldn't be a problem. I had a 7221 with a Compacted Binary driver, was a bitch to get going in DOS. Worth it, though .. zoop zoop zooop click click click :)

They made those big ones where the pen scoots across the top of the roll, those are cool. Faster than an inkjet for line drawings and nicer, too. Would look great in the middle of the room there, J-J. Along with your Crystal Eyes display on the FW-900 :P

This is even better than blinkenlights ... how can anyone resist a pen plotter ?

http://www.hpmuseum.net/upload_htmlFile/Web7595Plot.mpg

I think it's drawing your computer room, j-j :P