Everything Else

How to measure time? - Page 2

My current day-to-day watch is simply an Audemars Piquet Royal Oak Offshore Automatic Chronograph Titanium. However, for roughing [e.g., when in South America or Africa], I just wear the Breitling B-1 [BTW, this Professional line quartz watch has nothing in common with the much later mechanical B-01 Chronomat series one - neither model is no longer available, anyway].

Otherwise, I do own an original Porsche Design Titanium [nowadays a collector's item] and a couple of quartz watches [Timex, Citizen and the Seiko "Final Fantasy"] - but I don't wear them at all anymore...
Geoman wrote: my two watch favorites:
#1 Zenith el Primero (actually a movemt, not a watch)
#2 the moonwatch

I've got the moonwatch already, but I must admit that I never did recognize Zenith as a watch brand that much. Damn, the El Primero sounds quite intriguing, but it does come with quite a price tag.
Still it's affordable compared to one of the most compelling timpieces I've come across recently.

The "Lange 1 Perpetual Calendar" , a mechanical timepiece which features an eternal calendar taking into account leap years, different length of months and such.
It doesn't need a battery and if run all day the first time needs manual help is around year 2100 according to the marketing speech. By then we're all dead, I guess.

Sounds great, right? I forgot to mention the pricetag, though. It's about 250.000 EUR or 325.000 US$ (as of today).
www.sgistuff.net - SGI info since 2001

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
Gerhard.Lenerz wrote:
The "Lange 1 Perpetual Calendar" , a mechanical timepiece which features an eternal calendar taking into account leap years, different length of months and such.

Sounds great, right? I forgot to mention the pricetag, though. It's about 250.000 EUR or 325.000 US$ (as of today).

Lange's are notoriously expensive. Wouldn't want to wear them on a day-to-day basis, anyway.
Oskar45 wrote: Lange's are notoriously expensive. Wouldn't want to wear them on a day-to-day basis, anyway.

Indeed. I guess they are made either for the crazy collectors that lock them away once they've bought one, or they are for the "it" people running around at St.Tropez or similar idiot hotspots.
www.sgistuff.net - SGI info since 2001

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
I have X issues with wristwatches:

not water proof
    battery runs out
    time drifts (or DST changes)
    wrist band wears out

My current watch:

solves most problems by being waterproof, recharges with a tiny solar cell, sets time from broadcasted signal and wrist bands are cheap and available.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
Not wearable collectible master clock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlsucTi4Db4
:Indigo2IMP: extreme :Octane2: V8 :O200: :Onyx2: IR2e
Not wearable (and not mine either): SGI 20th Anniversery Wall Clock :
$(KGrHqNHJ!sE9BZiGyG)BPRBsY2tyQ~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqNHJ!sE9BZiGyG)BPRBsY2tyQ~~60_12.JPG (15.45 KiB) Viewed 226 times

My brother in law works for the Swatch group in Switzerland so I never spend much on watches. Right now I've got this one:
41h-hAvYUfL.jpg
41h-hAvYUfL.jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 226 times

Nothing pretentious, but it's got a sapphire glass and it's 100m water proof. This one was a freebie :)
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
I bought this a few years ago:

Synchronizes time and date automatically, solar powered, requires no maintenance.
Perhaps I'm just lazy, but I love it :)
I'm more of a naked-wrists guy and don't wear a watch daily (phone is always in the pocket, not counting clock in my emacs, tmux status bars),
also - "happy people don't need to count time" as Polish people say :) .

But when I do - I got myself this: http://www.timex.ca/IRONMAN-ROAD-TRAINER-Digital-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Midsize-P215.aspx - it has a heart rate monitor, and I use it for longer bicycle trips, good for keeping track of heart rate zones, calorie count etc.

Cheers
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
Broke the band on my Fossil on a business trip to Seattle a month or so ago. Haven't had anything on my wrists in a long while.
I'm also firmly in the Society For Bare Wrists (Société Pour Les Poignets Nus?), having worn out my fair share of cheap watches. My memory isn't the best but I seem to recall the putting off of the watch coinciding with a sort of personal spiritual liberation of quitting the rat race of schooling. I am now working a dead end job but with a great peace of mind :-)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I wear a eZ430-Chronos for it's geek value. When I must, I keep myself informed about time by any means available. I prefer the times when I can ignore it.
Torfinn
Totally apropos, this popped into my podcasting software this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dvw6t
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I suddenly remembered this thread just now. Last week I read a fascinating article about what is evidently the most complicated watch ever built.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-v ... ence-57260

The funny thing is that for certain people, all of the 27 special features could actually be useful. I suppose this is to be expected, since it was done as a bespoke project (although the latest rumor is that five pieces were made and you could buy one if you don't mind the price).
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
With binclock ngde

Code: Select all

0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 1 0
0 0 1 0 0 1
1 1 1 1 0 1

you can display a binary clock in your terminal !!!
(or build a matrix of LEDs, with those '1's light on)
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
I've had a Traser H3 for at least the last 25 years, not exactly an inexpensive watch but I quite like it:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I was one of those kids who always wore a watch starting in junior high. But about 5 years ago my trusty 20 year-old Pulsar died and I just started using my mobile phone.

About a year and a half ago I had the opportunity to get a nice watch for "free" (it was an award from work) so I started wearing a watch again. I had forgotten how much I liked the convenience of not having to get my mobile phone out of its holster and turn it on just to check the time. Wearing a watch again felt like coming home after a long time away. The watch I started wearing was this one:

1148575.jpg
1148575.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 292 times

However, I recently got in the habit of wearing a Fitbit and having a device on both wrists was annoying so I've stopped wearing my watch except on formal occasions and just wear the Fitbit instead most of the time. It turns its screen on automatically when I raise my wrist so it's almost as convenient as a real watch.

fitbit charge 2.jpg
fitbit charge 2.jpg (18.32 KiB) Viewed 292 times
:Onyx2: 4x400MHz R12K Onyx2 IR3, 8GB RAM
:1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: R10K Indigo2 MaxIMPACT, 4 TRAMS, 768MB RAM, 2x9GB HD, CD-ROM, Phobos G160
Black Cardinal
I've had 3 Vostok Amphibia (automatic 2416 movement) over the past 10 years, those things are built to withstand a nuclear winter! Straps were crap and the QC for one of them left the watch failing to perform its intended function, the other two have both lasted for 8 years so far...in fact I coult tell you exactly when I last wore one of them. Like a fitbit, you have to remember to move :evil: , but unlike a fitbit doesn't nag you when you don't 8-) ...rather it rewards your laziness with the incorrect time when requested.

It's the cheapest automatic movement which could be useful for diving (when I was doing that) that I could find and was (still are) approx £45. Considering how much I flail my arms around when just walking down the street, I could never justify wearing something unless it was either (a) cheap, and I have a whole drawer of them... or (b) Is built to withstand a nuclear winter.

It's rated at 200m which is useful :roll: so next time you get caught short in the North sea and you need to pop down to repair a well head, you can take solice in knowing that your watch will continue to function as intended... Internal organs at that pressure... ymmv.

tbh, the good'ol "elephant" metric has helped me when profiling code on more occasions that I care to admit. :mrgreen:
my last watch from japan:
Citizen Altichron Cirrus
:OnyxR: :OnyxR: :O2000R: :O3000: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :O200: :PI: :PI: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2+: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indigo2:
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:
:Indy: ChallengeS
:Crimson: rebranded ControlData
Here is hackermans tutorial on how to 'hack time'. Easier than measuring it :roll:

Hope this helps.