Everything Else

How to measure time? - Page 1

Aside from being an SGI guy I've started to become a watch geek. Thus I'd like to see what the SGI enthusiast is using to keep track of time.

My personal "geek" favourite is the " moonwatch ", the Omega Speedmaster. A quartz may be more accurate, but the oldschool mechanical technology just keeps on marching.

www.sgistuff.net - SGI info since 2001

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
My relationship with watches is very similar to my relationship with SGI machines. I used to rely on them, and I still admire them and appreciate the engineering that was needed to design and to build them, but I find that I use them less and less. These days, when I need to determine the time, I usually use my cell phone, look at the wall, look at the display on my car, etc.

The only time I wear watches these days is when I go hiking where cell phones aren't practical or when I am dressed for a formal occasion. Somehow, wearing a tuxedo or a fancy suit without wearing a watch feels like walking around with an open zipper. Sort of.

Yeah, I'm an odd duck.
NTP :)

I used to have cheap Casio watches for years and finally got sick of broken watchstraps every 1-2 years, so I got myself a titanium watch ( it's this one ). It wasn't really expensive (afair ~80€), but I like the look and basically wear it all the time
looks too clunky for me. this is more my style:
DSC05874.JPG
nike+ sportband
DSC05874.JPG (57.92 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

this one measures time distance and pace. If I hook it up to the computer, it goes online and keeps track of everything. If you trim the band a little bit with a knife you can fit on a roadID as shown.

it's also simple. there is a start/stop button to tell it when you want to start and stop running... and a button on the bottom to switch whether you want it to show time, distance, or pace. It does not measure altitude, temperature, play music, have any spinning metal ornaments. Or light up. It doesn't even have a stop watch. Simply just tells the time and how fast you are running :)
DSC05877.JPG
usb connection
DSC05877.JPG (74.59 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

I have a swiss watch with a clunky steel band and I don't see any point to it. Cool flat black too. Eventually the battery ran down and it's in a drawer somewhere.

I have tried a garmin and own all the different micoach products. garmin is hopelessly complex; micoach has the potential to be vastly superior but alas, remains buggy. I have had this sportband for about a year and ~1100 miles and it is still working fine. the sensor that clips to your shoelace still works fine as well.

Apparently there is a successor to the sportband called the fuelband but it seems a bit too 'brave new world' for me (keeping track of everything ?) I'll probably get one anyways.
Didn't we do this already? well anyway, I am proudly bare-wristed. It's comfortable and sexy!
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: Didn't we do this already? well anyway, I am proudly bare-wristed. It's comfortable and sexy!

Been there, done that since about 1994.

Then there were the mobile phones that you could take a peek at.

And even later on there were the occasions where even that would be considered impolite.

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
I wear this guy day and night:

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/g ... GW810D-1A/

I am a big fan of Casio G-Shocks. They are really sturdy and I can use the same clock to go to the gym, climb a mountain, swim, or walk in the city, hehe :D .
Image _ Betty Blue _
R12000A 400 Mhz ; 1 Gb RAM ; 72 Gb 15K HDD; IRIX 6.5.29
CrystalEyes; Dial Box; O2Cam "ZEYE"; external Toshiba SD-M1711 DVD-ROM; Octane speakers;
Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_ REKIEM_I7 _
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_ REKIEM_T5400 _
875W PSU / 2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown 4 x 3,33 Ghz / 1 x EVGA Geforce 4Gb GTX 980 Supercloked / 32 Gb DDR2 667 ECC / Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD and 3 extra Tb
_ Raspberry Pi _
:|
Well, I had a few really expensive watches but after my last one died I went a little cheaper and bought this coleman at walmart. It's awesome.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... yM8UJj5Jlk
Stuff.
Gerhard.Lenerz wrote:
skywriter wrote: Didn't we do this already? well anyway, I am proudly bare-wristed. It's comfortable and sexy!

Been there, done that since about 1994.

Then there were the mobile phones that you could take a peek at.

And even later on there were the occasions where even that would be considered impolite.

So, I solved by not caring what time it was :-)
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Used to wear a Casio G-shock with WWVB radio timecode receiver. It stopped picking up the signal when I switched coasts, so I stopped wearing a watch for a few years.

Past year or more, as I cede more and more of my life to AAPL, I've been wearing an iPod Nano in a watch band. I like the animated gears in this particular clockface. But that aside, I had hoped for more touch-enabled apps...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
skywriter wrote: I solved by not caring what time it was :-)
nail, head, hit. I've disabled the on-screen clock on my computers. It was (rather surprisingly) very scary at first. I suggest everybody try it as an experiment ;) You might be surprised how often you subconsciously are checking the time...

http://zenhabits.net/simple-manifesto-b ... the-clock/

That said, sometimes I need to know what time it is, how long I've been out, and it's kind of fun to know how fast/far I've gone, measured somewhat objectively.

I don't normally wear a clock at school because there is a clock tower near by that plays a distinct chime every 15 minutes.

smj, the irony of pixellated gears is wonderfully perverse.
guardian452 wrote: smj, the irony of pixellated gears is wonderfully perverse.

:mrgreen: My thoughts exactly. I've never found the digital clockfaces very interesting. The nixie tube clockface sounds like the perfect mashup in the abstract, but in practice the layout feels just a little off to me... You can see all 16 new iPod Nano clockfaces
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
I've been wearing this beast for about 6 months now.

49mm x 19mm case, Swiss ETA 2824-2, 4mm crystal, HRV.

guardian452 wrote: nail, head, hit. I've disabled the on-screen clock on my computers. It was (rather surprisingly) very scary at first. I suggest everybody try it as an experiment ;) You might be surprised how often you subconsciously are checking the time...

See J.G. Ballard's story "Chronopolis" in this connexion.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
smj wrote: Past year or more, as I cede more and more of my life to AAPL, I've been wearing an iPod Nano in a watch band. I like the animated gears in this particular clockface. But that aside, I had hoped for more touch-enabled apps...

That's a useful gadget, the gears add a nice retro touch. :-)

skywriter wrote: So, I solved by not caring what time it was :-)

Which is actually a good attitude. In the real world often it really doesn't matter much what time it actually is.

For slowing down I've got a watch that has only an hour hand (pretty much like the ones in toybooks). It doesn't show seconds or minutes, because who cares anyway?!

my two watch favorites:
#1 Zenith el Primero (actually a movemt, not a watch)
#2 the moonwatch
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
I used to have a lovely Bell & Ross Hydrochallenger but it was stolen from my apartment ~5 years go. Now I have a Luminox. Works fine, comfortable, robust.....
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
I usually just look at the fireballs in the sky to determine the hour/day/month/year/century.
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
Watch ? Bag ? DVD ?

Not a big watch fan myself but have to admit, I'd probaby do some bad stuff to grab one of these ...

hp-01.jpg
hp-01.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 522 times