Everything Else

What can you do in Kamloops - Page 2

maxsleg wrote:
Not really - I learned to drive in the UK, and now I spend far more time in San Jose/Milpitas than I do in Germany.

1. That's what I get for making assumptions...
2. Dear God, you found them poor drivers compared to NorCal rush hour drivers?!? The mind boggles...

maxsleg wrote:
Was in Kamloops for one night, now in Banff, really enjoying the Rockies.

Zee burglar of Ban-F-F!

I work at a shop where I process and test incoming laptops for useability/sellability and then take what is worth selling upstairs to my own office where I then photograph and sell said laptops on ebay and receive a commission on each laptop sold which sits on top of an hourly wage I would be making at the same time. Initially it's a two day a week, part time job but hopefully I can increase the hours so I won't have to try and possibly juggle two jobs should the commission pay be lower than what I am expecting.

As a plus though, I'm ten minutes from home by car and I don't even have to get snarled in traffic to get there. I simply turn onto the main drag and it takes me directly there.

Sure beats putting out bottles of pop and bailing cardboard for a living. :P

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
maxsleg wrote:
I find of lot of the German drivers are very aggressive and not half as good as at driving as they think they are!

smj wrote:
2. Dear God, you found them poor drivers compared to NorCal rush hour drivers?!? The mind boggles...

i was thinking of mentioning Paris (france not texas) but driving habits are like politics, each one thinks that his place is the worst in the globe

hmm only in sweden everything works ok :P

good luck pent, a fresh start is always good
fu wrote:
i was thinking of mentioning Paris (france not texas) but driving habits are like politics, each one thinks that his place is the worst in the globe

I was going to make a reference to Taiwan or India and fatalism/fortune, but realized the list could just go on and on...

Hope the new gig works out, pentium. Sounds like it could generate some interesting finds/surprises...

Quote:

I've driven in Paris and found driving OK (in fact I find driving in France better than Germany). I guess the big surprise is that, so far, not many Canadians can use their indicators (also an issue when I drive down 101 from SFO to San Jose)...

Just spent two days tramping around Banff, really enjoyed a walk by Lake Morain today, still some snow around at the higher levels.
Will head back East over the next few days, of course I plan to drop by Spheres in Kelowna to look at the test equipment etc - anyone visited them before?

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
maxsleg wrote:
I guess the big surprise is that, so far, not many Canadians can use their indicators (also an issue when I drive down 101 from SFO to San Jose)..

I never use the indicators. It draws too much attention.
smj wrote:
...Nature abhors a vacuum, and she gets pissy...

smj wrote:
... fatalism/fortune, but realized the list could just go on and on...

sounds like you could go back to Proust, there's nothing like searching for lost time on a lazy summer sunday :)
hamei wrote:

This reminds me of quite possibly the best post ever on a driving forum:

"Why would I use turn signals? You have to take the Americans by surprise!"

This reminds me of...

Bruce Wayne & his car
Holy tail fins, Batman!

I've driven in Paris and found driving OK (in fact I find driving in France better than Germany).

I used to think Paris was bad. Then we went for holidays in Egypt and I saw the Traffic in Cairo :lol:

The problem in Germany is that cars that can do 200+ km/h are too affordable. It used to be only the big Mercedeses, BMWs and Porsches that would go that fast, and by the time you'd have gathered enough money to pay for one, you'd have matured a bit and drive it with some sense of responsibility. These days any pimple-head in a second hand VW Golf can do 200km/h but they don't realize yet that traffic is not a computer game...

Currently in commercial service: Image :Octane2: :Onyx2: (2x) :0300:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
bri3d wrote:
hamei wrote:

This reminds me of quite possibly the best post ever on a driving forum:

"Why would I use turn signals? You have to take the Americans by surprise!"

I generally do try to use turn signals, but unfortunately the general rule of thumb is that Boston drivers will see your signal and speed up to close the gap to prevent you from moving over. I move over anyway.

The best drivers I've actually ever seen were in Sweden. People there are amazing. All highways are generally two-lane, one in each direction. But they are very wide with large, well paved, clean shoulders. The general practice is that drivers being passed will pull to the right and drive on the shoulder to allow the passing car to only go halfway over the line - this makes it safer if oncoming cars approach. People seem to pass even in corners for this reason. The problem was, I don't like to make people drive on the shoulder, so I speed up a little to get past them sooner. The next car in front then sees me, pulls onto shoulder. Well, he's even farther ahead, so I speed up even more. Next car does the same thing. These guys are not that close together, so the next thing you know, I'm driving something like 180 km/hr (I think the official limit was 100 or 120) and the car 1 km up the road from me is already pulling over onto the shoulder! I realize enough is enough, slow back down, and the car in front eventually moves back into the lane after a few minutes of shoulder driving.
Hey! I at least use my turn signals.

...Well, of course when the damn fuse for them is not burning out...

Hey Pentium, great country, really enjoyed the first week here. Now in Chilliwack and will head to Vancouver Island tomorrow.

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Ah, so I see you are beyond hope now (sorry, local joke ;) ).
Have fun on the island. You heading to Twassen or the Horseshoe Bay terminal? I was in Victoria several times but never went any further north more than once and that was almost seven years ago now. I know that just downtown there is a good Value Village (leave it to me to know the locations of allt he good second hand stores). I got my Handspring there as well as a few other things.

^^ You got a handjob there ? Marianne Faithful was in that movie ... aaah, Marianne Faithfull ...

What was sent to the soldier’s wife
From the ancient city of Prague ?
From Prague came a pair of high heeled shoes,
With a kiss or two came the high heeled shoes
From the ancient city of Prague.

From Oslo over the sound ?
From Oslo he sent her a collar of fur,
How it pleases her, the little collar of fur
From Oslo over the sound.

From the wealth of Amsterdam ?
From Amsterdam, he got her a hat,
She looked sweet in that,
In her little Dutch hat
From the wealth of Amsterdam.

From Brussels in Belgian land ?
From Brussels he sent her the laces so rare
To have and to wear,
All those laces so rare
From Brussels in Belgian land.

From Paris, city of light ?
From Paris he sent her a silken gown,
It was ended in town, that silken gown,
From Paris, city of light.

From the South, from Bucharest ?
From Bucharest he got her this shirt
Embroidered and pert, that Rumanian shirt
From the South, from Bucharest.

From the far-off Russian land ?
From Russia he sent her a widow’s veil
For her dead to bewail in her widow’s veil
From the far-off Russian land,
From the far-off Russian land.
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, so I see you are beyond hope now (sorry, local joke ;) ).

Got the joke! Actually that is a nice highway

Will spend a few days in Victoria.
A LOT of homeless people here, reminded me of San Francisco, must be the mild climate.

btw. ate at a place called 'Dakota' last night in Chilliwack, really good food.

Quote:
Marianne Faithfull

Mars bar :-)

maxsleg wrote:
Mars bar :-)

Inspirational :D