Everything Else

What can you do in Kamloops - Page 1

Hey Pentium, a special for you! What is worth doing in Kamloops?

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
For starters, you can visit Pentium and view the largest personal computer collection in North America :)
He is not even close - The Computer History Museum in Mountain View is something else.

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
maxsleg wrote:
What is worth doing in Kamloops?

You can turn left and head for Prince Rupert :D
maxsleg wrote:
He is not even close - The Computer History Museum in Mountain View is something else.

Not to derail another thread, but - is it really? Maybe it's improved recently? I visited maybe 6-10 years ago and wasn't too impressed. Better than the one in Boston, though (now closed). The only thing I remember about the latter was they had a cool original Mac prototype, complete with wire-wrapped circuit boards! Would've thought maybe I'd be blown away by some DEC gear, given location.
dc_v01 wrote:
maxsleg wrote:

Not to derail another thread, but - is it really? Maybe it's improved recently? I visited maybe 6-10 years ago and wasn't too impressed. Better than the one in Boston, though (now closed). The only thing I remember about the latter was they had a cool original Mac prototype, complete with wire-wrapped circuit boards! Would've thought maybe I'd be blown away by some DEC gear, given location.

I think it is the same museum, the packed up the one in Boston and moved it over to the West Coast.

Near where I live, there is a private "museum" I think it is called the digibarn or some such. They have some cool historical exhibits, lots of mac stuff, the people running it are a bit out there. But then again I have lived in hippie central to be used to it.

at you?"
R-ten-K wrote:
I think it is the same museum, the packed up the one in Boston and moved it over to the West Coast.

most of the interesting stuff originated from DEC in the MR02 in Marlboro. I worked in MR01 and many a lunch time walked over to look at the stuff they had; pieces of Whirlwind, Acoustic Delay memory, etc.. lotta fun!

really interesting light where pent comes from :)
Kamloops sucks and in ten days I won't even be living in the city anymore. I got a new place to live and a job in Vancouver.
The best you can get out of the city is possibly taking the 2141 steam locomotive to Clinton and back when they are running and outdoor sports like mountain biking at Sun Peaks but other than tours of the local industry there really isn't much else to do here unless you like tubing on the river.
Also yes, the Computer History Museum relocated into Silicon Valley near where WeirdStuff and the Digibarn (BTW, Bruce Damer is from Kamloops) are and unless I'm wrong, they are currently setup in part of the old SGI campus.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Kamloops was not that bad, anyway good luck in Vancouver! Will you take a few SGI boxes with you?
I have been very impressed by BC so far, stunning scenery and friendly folks. Tonight I am in Revelstoke, really nice walks around here. Even saw another black bear.
The Computer History Museum is in the old SGI building in mountain view.

Wait, you were already in kamloops?
Unfortunately my apartment currently does not permit enough space for an SGI so I'm using Jax's Octane for now.

Interesting convergence of hobbies/interests -- the Porsche Club of America will hold one of their bigger events this year about an hour from Kamloops. PCA's Escape 2010 will be held at the Sun Peaks Resort, and that's about as much as I know about it... But some PCA members I've talked to about it are worried they might have early snow and get stuck. ;)

smj wrote:
... the Porsche Club of America will hold one of their bigger events this year about an hour from Kamloops.

I've heard there's a lot of porcupines there, too ! :D
hamei wrote:
smj wrote:
... the Porsche Club of America will hold one of their bigger events this year about an hour from Kamloops.

I've heard there's a lot of porcupines there, too ! :D

Where the hell did you get that information? That's totally wrong. We have Marmets here. Lots and lots of them. Damn things are a pest.

Wait, why is stuff suddenly happening in my area? Is there some sort of field that makes everything boring should it enter said field around me? :P

pentium wrote:
Wait, why is stuff suddenly happening in my area?
Precisely because you will have left by that time or will soon thereafter. Its a natural law - Nature abhors a vacuum, and she gets pissy when we create one by moving around and forcing her to rearrange everything again . You think it's easy trying to get all those marmots to sit still? And then you come along, Mr. I'll Go Where I Please Thanks Very Much ? Some days she's quite convinced she should have stopped after creating the trees and quit whilst she was ahead...

Was in Kamloops for one night, now in Banff, really enjoying the Rockies. Canada is very beautiful but rather expensive, I toured NZ last year and accommodation here is double the price here. Really surprising as I though having the US on the doorstep prices would be pushed down.
Anyway, stunning landscape and warm friendly people - makes for a great holiday (but I can see why Pentium has bent a few cars - Canadians are not the best drivers ;-)

maxsleg wrote:
but I can see why Pentium has bent a few cars - Canadians are not the best drivers
But my dear Max, I suspect you're comparing what you've seen to what you're used to in Germany. I've been told that the German police enforce traffic laws because, well, they are laws and somebody's been observed violating them. Here in the US at least, we appear to only enforce traffic laws to generate revenue or fill airtime on television.

From time to time I will mention to a US driver that there is a law on the books in many if not all states that can be summed up as: "Keep right, pass left." They usually look at me like I'm crazy. But this is almost always in or near large urban centers. Out in the less populated spaces, even if there's a fair bit of traffic on the highways people tend to behave a little more reasonably -- at least about which lane they use.

The worst case was when I brought this up with a woman I was dating. She laughed and said, in what I took as a mock-serious I'm-going-to-have-fun-with-this tone, "Oh, if they want to get by me that badly they can always go around me on the right." We laughed together for a bit, until she continued and I slowly realized she wasn't joking. The relationship didn't end on the spot, but it was badly wounded...

EDIT : Oh, and to bring this back to Kamloops -- hey pentium, you do realize you could probably fund your SGI habit by providing a regular supply of cute marmot photos and videos to places like Cute Overload, yes?

Quote:
But my dear Max, I suspect you're comparing what you've seen to what you're used to in Germany

Not really - I learned to drive in the UK, and now I spend far more time in San Jose/Milpitas than I do in Germany. I find of lot of the German drivers are very aggressive and not half as good as at driving as they think they are!

smj wrote:
EDIT : Oh, and to bring this back to Kamloops -- hey pentium, you do realize you could probably fund your SGI habit by providing a regular supply of cute marmot photos and videos to places like Cute Overload, yes?

I can get a few roadkill shots. In the summer they like to try and sunbathe on the center miridian on the trans-canada. Sometimes they don't make it.

So Pentium, what will you do in Vancouver?