Apple

Mac Pro 2013 - Page 1

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/
Anyone waiting for it? Do you like the new look?

I think it's a consistent move for Apple - eliminate options, preclude life-extending upgrades, wait for refresh revenue. If performance doesn't drive that in three years, dropping support for it from OSX a few years after that will. It's their model, it works well, so why not?

I personally love it. it's new and different, and really, that's enough to make me want it. It's also totally crazy and reminds me of the Tezro, or the Octane, except that those were really just metal rectangles dressed up in amorphous plastic bits, whereas this thing really is a triangle in a cylinder! That's just mind blowing.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.
It's going to make a hell of a machine for posting what kind of a bowel movement your cat had on Facebook ...

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I don't like the way it looks. And nothing else about it is new or different or worth comment.

Doubles as an art-deco office trash can?

Just type http://www.apple.com into you browser and press enter if you want to look at the biggest marketing bullshit in the world. Even in Holy Bible you can not find as many praise words and everything new is presented like the second coming of Jesus. It would even be pretty funny if someone who wrote that was not serious when he made all that.

And do I like the look of the new mac Pro?

Not really, as it looks too much like some cylindrical subwoofer for my taste.
bluecode wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

To me it looks like a potty :)

Don't buy a red one if you have a dog :D

The circular design with the airway up the middle is interesting though. From the photos I don't see how they are tranferring the heat from the chips to the extrusion (through the stand-offs ? Right) up the center but the idea is good ... Of course you could do the same thing with a square box but then you'd end up with a small Onyx2. Or a center-cooled cobalt Qube :P

GL1zdA wrote:

To me it looks like a potty :)

I grabbed this picture of a wine cooler from the local Apple userforum and it looks strikingly similar to that new Mac Pro.
smj wrote:
I'm waiting for when they are considered old and obsolete so I can get one to sit with my NeXT cube and G4 cube. :lol:

I'm with you - NeXT Cube, G4 Cube, Mac Pro "Tube"... it just fits :)

The New Mac Pro has a fancy case.

that and the fact that it's the first "pro" level computer since what? The DECstation 5000 to likely not offer sufficient internal storage capability?

Even the fans they crow about are pretty thoroughly described in a 40-year old book on boilers that I have.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I going to buy it instead of the PS4.

5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
SAQ wrote:
The NeXT Cube had the DSP, the SGIs and Crays had (in their heyday) unique graphics and computational features under the skins.

The New Mac Pro has a fancy case.

that and the fact that it's the first "pro" level computer since what? The DECstation 5000 to likely not offer sufficient internal storage capability?

Even the fans they crow about are pretty thoroughly described in a 40-year old book on boilers that I have.

Spot on. Nothing different, nothing new, no pushing of the envelope. For a half a trillion dollar company to not push the envelope should be seen as a disaster for the industry. Shameful.

In other news, I hear the recommended place to store this thing is under the grill. Fits perfectly in that propane tank holder. And it comes from Apple, thus no shortage of hot gas on the inside.

Although as long as the graphics cards are upgradable, and there is the option of a second PCIe SSD, I could probably deal with having most of the system storage on a SAN/NAS device hooked up to TB2..

I dunno, wait and see how much of a crater it'd put in my finances I guess.

There was a comparison to sgi in the redshark article. I like the design but don't have a problem hiding a big ugly box under the desk. Most sentiments here I agree with http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/ ... es-in-os-x

Marine or locomotives ?

I bet your book is more than 40 years old, too. Maybe a hundred ... Triple expansion, yay :P