Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

5dwm - Page 1

http://www.5dwm.org/
- Yeah... um... uh.... err.... yeah........
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:
Hey, if can't get yer hands on the real thing, this can at least let you pretend :wink:
Screenshots seem very close to the original indigo magic desktop.

I think this project is funny among gnome/kde war.
the Gnome KDE war is just so stupid, who cares what window manager you use, i think it was red hat who wanted to incorperate them together but since i don't follow linux news that much anymore i don't know if they did it or not, i do know they also wanted to combine all the shells into one... that idea was not very popular
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.
somecodemonkey wrote: the Gnome KDE war is just so stupid, who cares what window manager you use, i think it was red hat who wanted to incorperate them together but since i don't follow linux news that much anymore i don't know if they did it or not, i do know they also wanted to combine all the shells into one... that idea was not very popular

Yeah, that argument got old years ago, but people sill continue to dwell on it. In fact, that's all linux users seem to do: argue. and complain.
Hey, be fair. We do more than that. Sometimes my whole group will go out and get slammed at the nearest pub. (Curse UMBC for shutting down the university pub!)
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:
bobflappy wrote: http://www.nekochan.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62

It seems that first beta is out.

Slashdot Japan just posted a mention as well:

http://slashdot.jp/articles/03/07/07/16 ... l?topic=63

Rough translation:

SGI's "Indigo Magic" (the current "Interactive Desktop") has inspired a Linux based project (IMD for Linux) which has released it's first beta. IMD's project goals are aimed at simplicity and high compatibility with SGI's implementation to bring about a powerful desktop environment for 3D and high end applications. As appearance is not the only portion imitated, it is expected that IRIX applications can be ported with only minor changes.

Eric Masson, the project's founder, gave an interview on the project some time ago that remains in Google cache.

Nekochan.Net has been getting a few hits as a result since there's a link in the article comments, but nothing like Slashdot USA (thank goodness!) :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Does anyone know how to get this to work? I downloaded all of the files but there is no documentation. :(
Its a Unix system! I know this! (Lex, Jurassic Park)
My PGP key. Fingerprint: D427 41B0 582E 4D39 BA23 A624 1ABF D775 56E9 5BEA
The 5Dwm project looks very nice to me. It will make the step to linux for sgi systems a little bit easier :) I'm definitely going to try it out (on ia32 ofcourse)

Hey!
Maybe I'll even port it to irix!

euhm.....

;-P
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
nah, port it to Mac OS X/Darwin so I feel more at home here 8)
Hi,

I got it working on my linux debian portable. I am far from having a desktop that looks like the site screenshots but finally, even if I just started with my o2/irix, I like it, especially when I look at memory usage :)
Anyway, great job!

Vincentoo
OSnews.com: SGI Indigo Magic Desktop for Linux Project Needs Betatesters
Slashdot.org: What Happened to 5dwm?
Slashdot.org: SGI & The IMD4Linux Project?

And from the IMD4Linux homepage :

Last updates from the front: 23/02/2004

It's alive! SGI finally replied and a the new license agreement is in the mail. Let's wait and see.

I find this quite awesome for i love this WM. After SGI dropped support for older SGI machines, like the popular Indy and Indigo2, this project together with the Linux kernel (which is ported to about all Indy/Indigo2 CPU's; from R4K4 till R10K; with more support, like O2 / R10K support in the make), GNU userland, and proper support for the graphics and audio cards, this brings new life to these machines. Because a lot other software has already been ported to (GNU/)Linux: XFS, FAM, and much more. Thanks SGI!
$ cat TODO
Learn Inner Sanctuary; Act Autonomous; Forge Future; Experience Enthean Enlightenment.
Hm... I found a "theme" inside KDE on debian, that makes windows inside (like checkboxes and such) be sgi style. I think it's called QT SGi or something like that.

If that helps...
yeah, it's one of the KDE 'styles' and is pretty accurate :)
- Jim
Vincentoo wrote: I got it working on my linux debian portable.

any progress since then anybody?
How to make this 5DWM thingie work on a Debian Woody?

Just curious...
I'm very curious too... so, anyone has any kind of HOWTO for 5Dwm? :roll:

...I'm thinking to install these Beta2 thing on my few PeeCee/Linux boxes now (while I manage to make the transition from my 600MHz/O2 to some bigger IRIX box), so I'll not feel so alien'ish those crappy PC boxes... :)

I've not downloaded the 5Dwm Beta2 yet, so no idea if/how it works...
Hi, what's the stat on this?
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
Speaking of 5dwm/MaXX Desktop, I just noticed a two week old tweet by the @MaXXDesktop account (from Eric, I presume):

hey all! I am about to produce the binaries for DR4 and I was wondering with Distributions? Lemme know. cheers

Nice to see some activity!