Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Seeking funding for development of 4dwm Windows 10 theme

Hi,

I'm the OP of http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/12303 ... ssic-theme and I was wondering -- is there any interest in having a 4dwm Windows 10 theme developed? I know this one dev but he charges money.

Bill
blasphemy :shock:
may he leave the evil bugger :P
r-a-c.de
sgibill wrote: Hi,

I'm the OP of http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/12303 ... ssic-theme and I was wondering -- is there any interest in having a 4dwm Windows 10 theme developed? I know this one dev but he charges money.

Bill

I think there'd be more interest here in seeing the 5dwm project (or something similar) come to fruition, though that project has had a difficult history. I see that you posted on the old 5dwm thread. I'll comment further over there , but there may be some upcoming activity with 5dwm .

PS. Too bad that your post on Neowin didn't get a better reception, but that is a site where half the posters have recent memories of wearing diapers and drinking out of sippy cups. Whenever I set up a Windows box, I like use the Windows Classic theme on the Admin account to make sure there is a clear visual reminder if I am logged in as admin for some reason. It's also a very efficient, unobtrusive theme, but I think that goes against the Neowin religion. :)
sgibill wrote: is there any interest in having a 4dwm Windows 10 theme developed?

no
he said I like it, I want it, I'll take it off your hands ...
I'm not even sure there is much interest in Windows 10 period ;)
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!
Stoo wrote: I'm not even sure there is much interest in Windows 10 period ;)

I actually prefer 8.1 - I put the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface 3 pro last week and keep wanting to go back to the "Metro" Screen. The new "Start Menu" is trying to appease too many people. They should just offer "Classic" and "Metro" options.
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL
If any of my SGI's booted to something resembling Windows, I'd kick my cat.
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
bigD wrote: If any of my SGI's booted to something resembling Windows, I'd kick my cat.

Apologies if I misunderstand your quote, but I think OP was suggesting the opposite, i.e. having Windows boot to something resembling the SGI desktop.
josehill wrote:
bigD wrote: If any of my SGI's booted to something resembling Windows, I'd kick my cat.

Apologies if I misunderstand your quote, but I think OP was suggesting the opposite, i.e. having Windows boot to something resembling the SGI desktop.

LOL - I did misunderstand! Thanks for talking me off the ledge. :)
Aren't they on version 8 now? What happened to version 9?
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
They decided to skip version 9, for no reason that any sane mind can fathom. Allegedly because it's such a major overhaul, but it looks exactly like Windows 8 with a bad imitation of the old Start menu tacked on, so I don't know what the hell they're on about.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote: They decided to skip version 9, for no reason that any sane mind can fathom.

Allow me to share random, unattributed speculation from some IRC channel - so you know it must be true! :roll:

So Microsoft skipped Windows 9 because popular software (Including JAVA) uses "Windows 9" as a string to identify Windows 95 and 98... *omg*
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:

If you ever get the hots for a VW 320, that cat better scat :P
he said I like it, I want it, I'll take it off your hands ...
hamei wrote:

If you ever get the hots for a VW 320, that cat better scat :P

Yeah, no thanks on the VW 320! I'll take my Indigo2 thank you very much! :mrgreen:
Put windows 10 (the "technical preview") on an old thinkpad t61 I had lying about .. it's kinda nice :) or I have really warped ideas about what to do for fun on the weekends :lol:
At work I have both Windows and Solaris 10 in my cube (guess which I prefer!) but I can't think of any reason why I would put Windows on a piece of hardware that I personally own. To paraphrase jwz I don't use any Microsoft products and neither should you. 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
I'd probably like it more if this old thinkpad had a battery - any battery would do - or at least if the power socket wasn't so loose :P Runs pretty well considering this machine is close to a decade old.

Besides, nowadays M$ is the supposed underdog and therefore we should all be cheering them along :lol:
guardian452 wrote: I'd probably like it more if this old thinkpad had a battery - any battery would do - or at least if the power socket wasn't so loose :P Runs pretty well considering this machine is close to a decade old.

I will give that to Microsoft. Their last few OSs perform very well on older hardware. While I loathe a lot of the Win8.x interface, Win8 is surprisingly zippy on my ten year old, entry level Dell laptop.
Actually, it was Windows 7 that surprised me positively, when we tried to install it on an 2004 PC with Sempron 2800+, 512 MB RAM and SiS integrated graphics. It was really snappy, worked as quick as XP SP1. As for Windows 10 - well, I'm hoping they'll improve it further - my TPR lasted only 18 hours, after which I simply rolled back to Win 7 x64 I had. Windows 8 was schizophrenic - didn't quite know what it was, it was forcibly dumbed down plus, many functions were doubled between standard Control Panel applets or MMC and the "apps". Window 8.1 was still dual-personality, but you finally got to say, which personality you like more. Windows 10 is just evolution of that - it's still in a very raw state, unpolished, and missing things I actually like in previous releases.
:Indy: :O2: :Octane2:
DECpc AXP/150, Sun IPX, Ultra 60 (broken), Mac 630, G4 Digital Audio, Amiga 1200T, IBM 7009-C10, HP Envizex a, A180, B132L, C360, C3600.
I use Windows 10 Technical Preview on a ThinkPad x120e Netbook (AMD E-350 CPU). Feels a bit faster than preinstalled Windows 7.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image