IRIX and Software

iconbar - Page 6

Too cool! CVS away with one caution -- my parttially implimented of remote terminal tinting code is already in there and it needs a bit more work, Hopefully it won't interfer with what you have done.

Beautiful! I can't wait to try it.

BTW: I have also modified the tryRGBfile() routine not to discard alpha channel data. I've practiced using GIMP to convert png w/ alpha directly to RGBA (SGI format) and it went well. The next step is to alpha-blend + build an icon bitmask on the fly. This will allow users a method to construct nice (shaped) custom icons effortlessly from all the png images floating around on the web.
vegac : I just got your new border code from the CVS server and it works beautifully. I love the new look and am also very happy to see that you fixed the multi-row wrapping bugs. Great job ! The project would be "twisting in the wind" without you.

Also, for those interested : I added an optional feature for iconbar to manage the IRIX toolchest window. If you enable this feature via the Xresouce

Code: Select all

Iconbar*toolchestManage: true

iconbar will auto-raise the toolchest when it gets obscured by another window and also "snap" it to the root window coordinates specified by the resources *toolchestX and *toolchestY, which default to 1,1 (since 0,0 was causing the VisibilityNotify events to get lost). I know alot of you would prefer that iconbar leaves the toolchest alone, so I have this feature disabled by default . This is also covered in the iconbar man page update.
Oh heck, I got so excited I packaged it up as iconbar-pre0.2.tardist . I am a bit rushed, so hopefully I got everything correct. :D
edefault wrote: Squeen,

great work!

Now I have some suggestion:
What about the printer status panel icons... could these be integrated eventually?
It is very helpful to know about printer status by watching the icon color change.

And if I were able to choose to keep a liitle bit more of iconbar visible, i. e. not to
hide it completely...

Regards

I wouldn't might a little printer AND email notififaction icon tucked in somewhere, I'll put it on the TODO list. Although I have no idea how to check the printer status. Something I'll have to dig around for...if you have a clue---lend it to me. :)

How much more would you like to keep visible? The top border, the icons without names? Or just a number of pixels you select with a resource?If the latter, then there is already the *hideheight Xresource (see man page).

To all brave users : The iconbar-0.2pre.tardist I put together lacks two "fixes" I've put in CVS since the hurried release. One is an autodetection of Onyx2/UltimateVision graphics which has reversed RGB bitmasks from all other SGI visuals (which are BGR?).
Also, the new toolchest management auto-raise feature was not playing nice with fullscreen apps (again!) so I fixed that as well. I'll put together a pre0.2a sometime next week.
squeen wrote: I wouldn't might a little printer AND email notififaction icon tucked in somewhere, I'll put it on the TODO list. Although I have no idea how to check the printer status. Something I'll have to dig around for...if you have a clue---lend it to me. :)

For the printer, it's not difficult, but you will have to study impressario and the printing stuff machinery that surrounds it. You can peek in the CUPS source code and see the support for the SGI desktop I added two years ago. Just consider that this stuff is an H*A*C*K , as it relies on undocumented behaviours and flags of IRIX standard lpstat (which the CUPS lpstat of course emulates, at least in part).

AS
Awesome! I can't wait for the nekoware pkg to arrive.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
squeen wrote: "A Long Expected Party"...

iconbar v0.8

see here for details.

A nekoware package to follow shortly.

Amazingly great news SQueen!; Congrats on that, thanks by your excellent programme! ;)
Just wanted to say I love iconbar SQueen. I just started using it and love it, thanks for a great program, it really adds functionalty to Irix!
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme
Thanks Arti77. Got to get the lastest into Nekoware, but I've just been swamped lately... :(
sucks when real life gets in the way :?
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme
Arti77 wrote: Just wanted to say I love iconbar SQueen. I just started using it and love it, thanks for a great program, it really adds functionalty to Irix!

Mee, too... can´t be without it any more...

in fact, I made iconbar start automatically through the -loginrc, which raises a question:

how to avoid multiple instances of iconbar (interfering each other) when logged in as another user on the same desktop?

Walther
Valueing life is not weakness; disregarding it is not strength. -Mirage-
I've got a DCD and two monitors, whch appear as Channels 0 and 1.

What'd be useful is if, rather than having iconbar stuck on Channel 0, I could choose instead to have it centred on Channel 1 (which tends to be less crowded) or centred over the two.

(Apologies if this can already be done - a quick perusal of the manpage seemed to suggest not, but I could have missed something)

Infact, what'd be really great would be a "dualchannel" option, which would ensure that no icon was ever chopped in half over different monitors (by extending the bar off-centre when an odd number of icons are present) - and perhaps even by drawing an additional border down the centre of the bar, so that there's a break between the two screens. That'd look fantastic ;)

(Might it be possible to allow the iconbar to be dragged to any position on an edge of the root window, automatically detect where Channel boundaries lie, and add a border/break at that point? This sounds like a pretty major undertaking - but it sure would be cool!)
@edefault : I have the following line in my .sgisession (all one line)

Code: Select all

xset +fp /usr/freeware/share/emacs/fonts & /usr/nekoware/bin/iconbar & /usr/nekoware/bin/xscreensaver-command -exit; /usr/nekoware/bin/xscreensaver -nosplash

which avoids (I believe) the problem you're experiencing with .loginrc.

@stuart : I agree the dual channel needs a bit more work. I'm sure getting it to launch on channel 1 can be done fairly easily, and I'll look into it next week. What you suggest about display boundry smarts is also a great idea - now that I've got the channel size data using the SGI video extension ( v0.8 ) it should not be too serious an undertaking. I'll put it on the todo list.

And thanks to you both for the feedback. :)