IRIX and Software

iconbar - Page 3

dexter1:

You are right - it definately fights with the screensaver. Actually it's the way I implemented the "always-on-top" or auto-raise feature. A temporary work around would be to disable the auto-raise by either (from the command line)

>iconbar -raise False

or in .Xdefaults

Iconbar.raise: False

or (right mouse button) from the pop-up menu.

A more permanent fix would be :

a) find a programatic way to determine if the screen saver is running
b) only auto-raise when the mouse is in the iconbar window

I'll take a crack at it this weekend as well as getting the other (stability) updates I've made into the CVS server.
squeen wrote: I jump started the web site, it's at http://iconbar.sourceforge.net/ . I included a couple of links back here. I hope that's alright with you Neko.

Also, I plan to continue announcing the major releases in this forum thread if nobody minds. :)

Don't mind at all - and I'll try and post a blog entry along with your new website as soon as I can - hopefully this afternoon/evening :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Don't mind at all - and I'll try and post a blog entry along with your new website as soon as I can - hopefully this afternoon/evening :)

Thanks. That would be great -- no hurry.

dexter1 wrote: But there is a problem with xlock screensavers and password locking.

Wow -- that's a pretty serious flaw. I definately classified this as a must fix immediately and I think I managed to starighten it out last night. The app will now automatically respect full-screen apps and temporarily cease auto-raise. (Incidentally, I learned a bit more about X screen savers on IRIX while I was pursuing a blind alley solution -- and it has me curious about how to integrate the realyslickscreensaver package into Xscreensaver ultility).
I'll upload the changes to the CVS repository tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks!
-------------------------------
I also discovered a problem on my workstation. The xlock screen savers won't unlock for my machine (even with iconbar running). It rejects all of my correctly entered passwords!

Anyone else out there ever encounter this phenomena?
squeen wrote: I also discovered a problem on my workstation. The xlock screen savers won't unlock for my machine (even with iconbar running). It rejects all of my correctly entered passwords!

Anyone else out there ever encounter this phenomena?

I don't know if the xlock in IRIX dose this but early versions of xlock did this...

The key you press to get to get the password prompt to appear counts as part of the password, as in you were adding an extra first character to your password every time you entered it.
The key you press to get to get the password prompt to appear counts as part of the password, as in you were adding an extra first character to your password every time you entered it.

yup...although I usually press <SHIFT> a number of times to clear the buffer.
I should add that only one of the systems I use exhibits this behaviour.
I placed in the CVS server updated sources that seem to fix the screensaver problem -- in general the app has been moved from a timer drive to event driven base. The result is a much more robust and responsive implimentation. The time between crashes now is in weeks on my system.

Just a few more bugs to squash and v0.1 should be out.

Thanks dexter1 (and others!).
Thanks Squeen for the fix! Haven't tried it yet, cause i'm at home...

Actually i'm gonna try this on my Crimson at home because of my holiday next week. The monster reacted favourably to my self fritted cables and i have a fresh disk ready to install IRIX 6.2 and iconbar. Expect screenshots :)
Done: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/gallery/album21/crimea1

I took the latest CVS last fridayevening. In all the excitement i forgot to test the password locking. #-o Will do that tomorrow on my O2 at work asap.

Cheers

Update: the screenlocking is fixed indeed, thanks so much!
.... only thing is that now the icons reappear after i unlock the screensaver by typing in my password. This doesn't happen when the screensaver doesn't lock.

The only way to fix it is by clicking on the icons and minimize them which brings them in the iconbar again. A bit annoying if you have to do that at each screensaver unlock.

But i am now convinced that this app will stay on my machine!
I can't tell you how happy I am to see this application finding some life outside of my machine. I really want to eliminate all the usability issues so that there is no down side to having iconbar on the IRIX desktop. It really is an honor that you took the time to build iconbar as your first application on your fresh install. Thanks.

(I also re-downloaded it from CVS at home this holiday and found an error in the install script).

If I understand the lastest bug you've run into, you are using (xlock?) to lock your screen and after the system unlocks the window manager places all the icons windows back on the desktop and iconbar is not savvy enough to re-hide them. Is that correct? Also, you are running IRIX 6.2, right?

Right now I'm using xscreensaver to lock, but am not having that problem -- but I will try reproduce the problem on my system and look for a more explict solution.
No this is irix 6.5.19m on my O2 at work. My irix 6.2 Crimson RE is at home.

I've been able to reproduce the problem. It's a multiple desktop problem, but has nothing to do with xlock.
Apparently 'ov' does lots of dirty tricks. Here's how i can reproduce it:

Make two (or three) desks in ov and start iconbar in desk 1. You see the icons on the ov display, but they are not showing on your desktop! If you switch back and forth with the second desk the icons appear as soon as you go back to desk 1.

Hmm. I thought Lisa had issues as well with multiple desktop. I believe she said that if you click on an iconized window from another desktop it will apppear on your current one.
Yes. Multidesks support has been a bit of a show stopper for me since it seems to live entirely in 4dwm and I haven't found any documentation on it or an API.

If I could just find a programtic way to determine the currently active desk, I think I could make it work.

I'll move this to the top of my priority list. :?

Thanks again.
Here's a bug I've noticed that I'm not sure about...

In Gaim it grabs the icons from the WM_HINT, but the icons come out corrupted looking. I'm THINKING that this is because the icons have transparency in them but I could be wrong here. Any ideas what this might be?

For now I just disabled grabbing icons from the hint and forcing it to use a file and that's working, but figured I'd ask...
Unfortunately, I haven't run gaim in the past. I have it installed in /usr/freeware/bin/gaim, but when I try to execute it I get

** (gaim:319057): CRITICAL **: Failed to assign /var/tmp/gaim_queen.0 to a socket (Error: Address already in use)

GLib-ERROR **: gmem.c:141: failed to allocate 21 bytes
aborting...
Abort (core dumped)

Any clues as to what I am doing wrong?

Also a little more info on what happens with the icon might give me a clue. Is it a garbled pixmap? How are the other icons in the application? Are you running on a VPro graphics system?

Regarding your thoughts on transparency, I'll admit I not an expert on png format, but I believe it is converted to an Xpixmap using libpng. I'm not sure how the Xrender transparency of Linux affects the data in the pixmap format, but I'll look into it. More specifically, is the icon that gaim is trying to display the one in /usr/freeware/share/pixmaps/gaim.png? Is so, I might be able to write a small application that uses it as it's icon as an experiment.

As for your work around, I see no problem in doing this (although, I don't have an entry in /usr/lib/images for Gaim it it would only get me the SGI default icon). You might just want to swap the order of the icon resolution code so that FILES comes before WM_HINT. This is actually something I have wondered about in designing the program. I think it would be best to add an Xresource/command-line option for selecting the order of icon resolution. (i.e. WM_WINDOW_HINT, WM_PIXMAP_HINT, SYSTEM_FILES or LOCAL_FILES). I'll try to put something like this in this week and update the version on the CVS server.

Thank you very much for the feedback...and please keep me infomed about any issues that make the program unpleasant to use.
Well, I know that the .png in /usr/local/share/pixmaps has transparency....
I'm using an Octane with SI+Tram, not VPro, so that cancels that issue out. What I've noticed is sometimes it would grab the icon properly (with a black background), and othertimes it would grab it with the background randomly colored (the main logo looking right, but instead of a black background, garbage).

Windows opened up would also have messed up icons, most likely from their buddy-icons (which are animated gifs) being messed up though.

I just switched the code on my machine to go file, then WM_HINT...always err on the side of letting the user override the machine. This way I can set my own icons for things such as XMMS (which uses a very small icon by default) :)
Hmmm....I wish I could get gaim working on my machine and see for myself. Am I starting it up correctly?
I took a screenshot of my iconbar for you so you can see...maybe it will give you some ideas...

http://www.kolrabi.com/iconbar.png

Notice the "garbage" behind the buddy list icon, the weirded out Nekochan icon, and the garbage behind the last icon there (buddy icon, name blurred for his protection heh) but the people on there are ok, it's just everything else that would be transparent isn't...
vegac wrote: I took a screenshot of my iconbar for you so you can see...maybe it will give you some ideas...

http://www.kolrabi.com/iconbar.png

Notice the "garbage" behind the buddy list icon, the weirded out Nekochan icon, and the garbage behind the last icon there (buddy icon, name blurred for his protection heh) but the people on there are ok, it's just everything else that would be transparent isn't...

OT - just curious - I noticed lots of people blur out their buddy icons and contacts (I don't, heh) - why is that? Has anyone actually been IM spammed from someone trying to manually type in buddies off posted screenshots? :cat:
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: OT - just curious - I noticed lots of people blur out their buddy icons and contacts (I don't, heh) - why is that? Has anyone actually been IM spammed from someone trying to manually type in buddies off posted screenshots? :cat:

I think of it more as a common courtesy and the fact that well, do I really want to admit talking to this guy? :)
vegac wrote:
nekonoko wrote: OT - just curious - I noticed lots of people blur out their buddy icons and contacts (I don't, heh) - why is that? Has anyone actually been IM spammed from someone trying to manually type in buddies off posted screenshots? :cat:

I think of it more as a common courtesy and the fact that well, do I really want to admit talking to this guy? :)

Okay, fair enough :)
All Rights Reserved.