IRIX and Software

iconbar - Page 4

vegac wrote: I took a screenshot of my iconbar for you so you can see...maybe it will give you some ideas...

Notice the "garbage" behind the buddy list icon, the weirded out Nekochan icon, and the garbage behind the last icon there (buddy icon, name blurred for his protection heh) but the people on there are ok, it's just everything else that would be transparent isn't...

Aye caramba! What a mess! :shock:
Definately looks like a transparency issue. I can problem reprogram it to install a solid color under neither once I learn what that bit code it. What version of gaim are you using -- I sure would like to have it running here for debugging

Is the Nekochan icon also gaim relate? Also your (tiny) icon for xmms is diferent from mine, but I'm still using 1.2.7.
Gaim is version 0.71 (compiled myself)
XMMS is 1.2.8

The nekochan icon I'm not sure what is up with it...but I did disable the default.icon usage when I put file-selection before WM_HINT selection for the icons, so that's probably what that is?

For the transparency, I'm not sure what it is...as Pixmaps (as far as I know) don't support transparency, except maybe through an XBitmap...but really no clue there. I'll see if I can throw in some test code to get more info about the gaim icon...atleast what bitdepth it reports as, etc.
Not a reply on a bug but instead a feature I've "added"...

I edited reximage.c (rewrote most of it).

The code is a lot smaller, simpler, and while at it, 24/32 bit icons are now "smoothly" scaled instead of "roughly"...

To get an idea:

Before: Image

After: Image

Also the checks for a valid XImage and such are done before allocating a spare drawable (which is, in fact, not even used anymore).

If you want my copy of reximage.c let me know, I'll gladly donate it if you like.

Also I'm working on adding checking for the alpha's of 32bit icons (should they come in) from WM_HINTs to see if that is the cause of the corrupted icons I'm seeing from some apps...

-Bryan
Awesome! -- this is really a dream come true (I sincerely hoped for colaborators when I released the source code). Anti-aliasing was always on the todo list.

Please join the developement team on the sourceforge site (just send me a mail with your sourceforge unix name) and you can place the new code directly into the CVS repository (don't forget to add yourself to the copyright notice).
If for some reason you don't want to go that route we canl find another method for you to get the modified code to me.

BTW, I ran gaim on my 02 at home and this is what I got:
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/gallery/album36/gaim_icons
No noticable errors and appearently a different icon. Uggh - I'll continue to look into it from my end until we crack it.

Looks great and thanks!
:D
Another fun fix:

I fixed the transparency issue!

Basically, you check the WM_HINT for IconMask, get that as an image, check it's pixels if it's set to 0 it's transparent and therefore you fill in the pixel in the actual image with the background color (I'm using the default of 0x787878).

I'll sign up for a sourceforge login and send you a private message with the info in a few minutes...
After a little trouble getting CVS access straightened out - vegac has incorporated his code.
So, I went ahead and released an updated package called pre0.1 for all interested parties to enjoy the beautiful new icons.

What fun! :D
hehehehehe :twisted:
8) ive just downloaded and installed this on my O2, ive got version pre0.1 off the sorceforge site, very cool app... I like it a lot! its certainly a keeper!!!

when will the CVS? version be out?? it looks just a little more polished without the borders :)

keep up the good work!
The current state of the source code is always availible via CVS fron the sourceforge server. Instructions on how to go about retrieving and building it are on the site's home page . The build instructions are also included.

I am really pleased beyond words as to how slick the interface is starting to look, and we really have vegac to thank for that. (Thanks vegac!)

Unfortunately, some of the new features aren't fully integrated (debugged), so while the version out on CVS is much inproved in appearance, it may take a few weeks to stabilize it. After that happens, I'll probably post a new package and annouce it here.

Things have really come a long way -- at first I wasn't sure if good old X11 could pull it off seemlessly. But now, I'm really satisfied (I'd still do a jig dressed like an organ grinder's monkey for true transparancy!) :) Once a really stable core is in place (multidesks, arggg!), we can really start playing with the bells and whistles. Should be fun.
Hi!;
in first place: Congratullations!, you are making a really great job, along with Vegac!!!

I have installed IconBar on my recently configured dual-desktop O2 (by mean of Teleffect), and it runs really stable, and improves seriously my productivity!

Thanks, that´s a great piece of software for 4DWM!!!

... May be later the IconBar Development Team can add a little of support features for Teleffect!!! :twisted:
Could be even more funny! :P
Thanks Diego. :)

What features of teleffect would you like to see supported?
Oh, you have done a great job!

...I don´t know if the tweaking that i can suggest may be very popular :lol: , i don´t know even how many peoples uses on a dayly basis Teleffect... but, just to say:

1) An IconBar on each system desktop (the main desktop of each irix-box, i guess... i don´t mean that you must add multi-desk support), showing up all the active applications (either iconified apps, or fully openeds) on the complete totallity of desks (the sum of the active apps of all the systems, viewed at the same time on all the desktops), but with undercolored indication of the desktop that own each app... i´m not sure if i´m being really clear, since my even poor english... :P really sorry!

2) A numerical pop-up showing the desktop owner of the app, when i pass the mouse pointer over the icon. I mean, may be when it grows, could over-print on the icon a translucent number, showing the desktop owner of the app. May be Crystal-3D translucent numbers, with a look and feel MacOS X... Nekonoko could be more happy even!!!, hehehe!!! :o

3) Of course; the possibility of really launch the icons on another desktop from the current (maybe using Messagge-Parsing between each copy of IconBar?)

4) And another one that not necessariously is strict to Teleffect, but i can love even: vertical pop-uped groups of similar kind of icon-apps!!!

I mean, when you use, just to say, a dozen of same-time Nedit opened instances... you could be show only an icon with the number of instances, so, if one let the pointer a few seconds, IconBar can show up to you the complete vertical list of instances; and you only need point and click the choice (i hate say this, but... just take a look to the WinXP task bar)

5) Another one of the kind of (4): The possibility of just move icon bar to other margins of the display. Not very useful at first look; but if you uses Teleffect, and need the major integration between desktops, could be nice take a little control at this point.

Well; only rest to say: Thanks by your wonderfull job!, And my suggest are only an observation of what I could like to see on it!!!, Maybe you can open a Poll, and get a wide range of suggest, and get a more complete idea!
Greetings from Rosario/Santa Fe/Argentina!
Thanks for the sugestions Diego. I'll see if I understand you correctly:
Diego wrote: 1) An IconBar on each system desktop (the main desktop of each irix-box, i guess... i don´t mean that you must add multi-desk support), showing up all the active applications (either iconified apps, or fully openeds) on the complete totallity of desks

Do you mean have iconbar show icons from other displays? -- and I mean diplays in the X sense of a keyboard/monitor/terminal combo. If so, it's worth thinking about but I'm not sure what the usefulness would be. Can you give me an example of how you would use this feature in your daily work?

Diego wrote: 2) A numerical pop-up showing the desktop owner of the app

Is this tied to the first point? In other words, would this only be applicable if we successful implimented your first suggestions of a multi-display capability.

Diego wrote: 3) Of course; the possibility of really launch the icons on another desktop

Same comment as above.

Diego wrote: vertical pop-uped groups of similar kind of icon-apps

I've always planned to tackle this one - glad to hear you'd like to see it too!

Diego wrote: The possibility of just move icon bar to other margins of the display.

At first I thought I'd put this feature in right away, but I've been dragging my feet a bit. You make a good point about teleffect and similar tools possibly running into issues. I'll put it on the feature request tracker.

Great to have your feedback, and as always, it's wonderful to hear that Nekochan folks are using iconbar.
Hi!;
well, i know, i know!, maybe the requests (1)/(2)/(3) does not seems a very popular thing.

But a think that are related to my particular job!, i mean: i´m always working with multiple sessions of cvmake, nedit, etc...

i´m always the desire to get an even better integration through my desktops (just like a PC running Windows2K/XP with multi display, with a few PCI video cards: we can have four displays, maybe, but ALL are sharing the same TaskBar/StartMenu, since we have only one CPU/WindowsInstall)...

...and pass from A display to B display takes a little time, but we can´t execute things that are placed on the B display from the A display... i´m being clear???

Maybe on a first look it can seems a unusuable thing, but on my production environment, i´m sure that sometimes i need just see IconBar, to make me sure if a c++ module was opened on my other CPU/Display (Teleffect uses many CPU´s/Displays, and ONLY ONE set of kbrd/mouse, so, you can take the control on every CPU/Display just placing the pointer on the station of your choice. It can´t execute apps on A Workstation from the B Workstation, you only share the same keyboard/mouse set between different CPU/Display sets)

But, i say: really, man, you don´t necessariously put tomorrow your hands on this mods!!!, these are just only suggestions!!!, don´t worry about it!

I think even that can be most widely supported by the people, the "pop-uped categories" to make groups of different instances of the same app!!! :wink:

Thanks by your attention, and no doubts abou it: IconBar is a really great app!!! :wink:
I pulled the CVS down to give this a try today; works great! Only thing I noticed was that the border.sgi file was not installed after a gmake install - I had to move it manually to /usr/local/bin/

I'll put a new screenshot up with this running on the O2 ASAP :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
The CVS version now has an elementary "grab & drag" feature.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:
    Left mouse clicking on an icon with the CONTROL key held down and then drag the pointer over top another icon and release the mouse button. This should cause the two participants to be swapped.

Not perfect, but a bit better than having to use the "shuttle left/right" method in the popup menu.

To get the CVS version:

Code: Select all

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/iconbar checkout iconbar

As always, let me know what does wrong! :)
Hello,

squeen would it be doable in a time to be able to run multiple instances of iconbar on a desk and choose it s position.

I explain myself : In general I work with group of icons on the top left the "root" programs (a shell login with root I know it is a bad habit but so it is)
On the left all the programs I have opened (mozilla gaim etc etc etc etc etc)
On the right my shells I am using for developpement.
On the down various stuffs I don't use much.

Would it be possible to have that idea with various iconbars and the possibility to drag and drop in between them? And also to sometime keep icons out of iconbar?

Otherwise I use it at work and it is a state of the art software.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
LoWen :

Yes, I had always planned on having some sort of "north, east, south, west" switch on iconbar -- I'll officially add it to the feature request list (or you can do it at the sourceforge project page: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=61 ... unc=browse ). North/South would be the easiest. Perhaps I'll tackle that first.

As for multiple instances: you can already do that, however they all land on top of one another without the feature you mentioned for positioning the bar.

Lastly, look at the man page under the resource "-ignoreApps". Use xprop to get the WM_NAME. If for some reason a particular app slips by, let me know and we'll tweak the routine.

As for dragging and dropping between them -- that would be fun to look into as well, but may take me awhile.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.
squeen wrote:
As for dragging and dropping between them -- that would be fun to look into as well, but may take me awhile.

Actually this is the first time I've "quoted" myself -- talk about narcissism!

Anyway, I just figured out an easy way to do it. Assume two versions are running, I'll just send an X ClientMessage from one to the other to tell it to stop ignoring that "moved" app. Easy! Now I just need to get the geometry squared away to run it in two screen locations. The very easiest==quickest would be lower left and lower right. Would that help you any?
Hello,

It could help...
It would surely help at work...
Root on the left My apps on the right. Tooooo Gooood:-)
If I can moderate myself at home with my number of open apps...
Thats was a bad idea of me to buy an octane with 1gb ram...
Last I have made almost desepear the desktop behind icons...
Some people find that I am crazy? Am I?

@+

LoWeN
UX powered