IRIX and Software

iconbar - Page 5

LoWeN wrote: Last I have made almost desepear the desktop behind icons...
Some people find that I am crazy? Am I?N

No -- that's why I wrote iconbar! :D
squeen wrote:
LoWeN wrote: Last I have made almost desepear the desktop behind icons...
Some people find that I am crazy? Am I?N

No -- that's why I wrote iconbar! :D

The best system I have seen is in the Workplace Shell. Minimized
programs disappear entirely. Then a lmb-rmb combo click on the
desktop brings up a menu of running apps. Choose and go. Neat,
uncluttered desktop combined with easy access to any running
application (as long as you can find any clear spot on the desktop
for clicking ! ) I'm surprised that no one else uses this method. I
imagine that it would be difficult to incorporate into 4Dwm tho ?
Just a quick comment:

Code: Select all

install:
cp ./iconbar /usr/local/bin; \
cp ./iconbar.1 /usr/local/man/man1;

This works if /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/man/man1 already exist, which is probably the case on a system with a lot of self-compiled software already in place. In my case, I compiled and installed iconbar right after installing standard freeware.

The first line will happily copy the freshly compiled iconbar binary into a file called "bin" under /usr/local. This could be fixed by adding a slash after bin: /usr/local/bin/ - this will still generate an error about bin not existing but at least the iconbar binary wouldn't be parked in it's place.

The second line will bail with an error since /usr/local/man and /usr/local/man/man1 do not exist.

Many makefiles call a little script to check/create the install directories first - but maybe that's something to save for later :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Thanks Neko,

It's true the Makefile is not too sophisticated, I'll spend some time this week tuning it up.

Thanks.
nekonoko wrote: Just a quick comment:

install:
cp ./iconbar /usr/local/bin; \
cp ./iconbar.1 /usr/local/man/man1;

This works if /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/man/man1 already exist, which is probably the case on a system with a lot of self-compiled software already in place. In my case, I compiled and installed iconbar right after installing standard freeware.

The first line will happily copy the freshly compiled iconbar binary into a file called "bin" under /usr/local. This could be fixed by adding a slash after bin: /usr/local/bin/ - this will still generate an error about bin not existing but at least the iconbar binary wouldn't be parked in it's place.

The second line will bail with an error since /usr/local/man and /usr/local/man/man1 do not exist.

Many makefiles call a little script to check/create the install directories first - but maybe that's something to save for later :)

I think I fixed the fresh install issue by invoking install instead of cp . I also moved the stable CVS version into a 0.1 release (tardist).
MilkShake And Cookies Invitation:

viewtopic.php?p=19103#19103

:)
We've hit 222 downloads on the iconbar project--not too shabby. I've been watching the numbers and it seems the downloads are 0's for most days but then happen in clumps of 4+. Anyone care to speculate about this socialogical phenomena?

Also a couple of developement notes:

In order to get iconbar to run correctly on the Onyx4 with XFree86 I had to change the following lines in geticon.c:tryRGBFile() routine

535:    if ( found_file ) {
542:
543:       /* NOTE: this assumes zsize is 3 (RGB) but it could be 1 (B&W) or 4 (RGBA) */
544:       zbuf = (char *)malloc(zbufsize*sizeof(short));
545:       if ( zbuf == NULL ) fprintf( stderr, "geticon: zbuf alloc error, zbufsize = %d\n",zbufsize);
546:       for (cc=0;cc<zbufsize;cc++) {
547:          zbuf[cc] = 198;
548:       }
550:       rbuf = (unsigned short *)malloc(sgi_image->xsize*sizeof(short));
551:       if ( rbuf == NULL ) fprintf( stderr, "geticon: rbuf alloc error, xsize = %d\n",sgi_image->xsize);
552:       gbuf = (unsigned short *)malloc(sgi_image->xsize*sizeof(short));
553:       if ( gbuf == NULL ) fprintf( stderr, "geticon: gbuf alloc error, xsize = %d\n",sgi_image->xsize);
554:       bbuf = (unsigned short *)malloc(sgi_image->xsize*sizeof(short));
555:       if ( bbuf == NULL ) fprintf( stderr, "geticon: bbuf alloc error, xsize = %d\n",sgi_image->xsize);
556:       z = 0;
557:       for (y=sgi_image->ysize-1;y>=0;y--) {
558:          getrow(sgi_image,rbuf,y,0);
559:          getrow(sgi_image,gbuf,y,1);
560:          getrow(sgi_image,bbuf,y,2);
561:          for (x=0;x<sgi_image->xsize;x++) {
562:             zbuf[z++] = (char)bbuf[x];       /* had to swap these two lines for the Onyx4 */
563:             zbuf[z++] = (char)gbuf[x];
564:             zbuf[z++] = (char)rbuf[x];       /* had to swap these two lines for the Onyx4 */
565:             zbuf[z++] = 255;  /* alpha */
566:          }

Any clues with might have changed in the XFrre86 vs. Xsgi setup so that the RGB image lib is BGR rather than RGB?

Also, I've added a feature than modifies the color of the icon and appends the host name if the window is from a remote client. I'm using XAddPixel() to color the image but am not happy with the result--I was looking for something more like a tint. Any clues?

Thanks.
squeen wrote: We've hit 222 downloads on the iconbar project--not too shabby. I've been watching the numbers and it seems the downloads are 0's for most days but then happen in clumps of 4+. Anyone care to speculate about this socialogical phenomena?

-> 222 => "The Three Ducks" are responsible...

mmmmmhhhhhhhh..... or maybe E.T. Abductioners. No doubt. ...Or a very subtle intervention from "ChupaCabras" :D

squeen wrote: Any clues with might have changed in the XFrre86 vs. Xsgi setup so that the RGB image lib is BGR rather than RGB?

I'm not working not even close to XFree86, since I use several added abstraction levels. But, sounds like a migration from SGI Classic Image/RGB, to something like Targa/TGA. Not much rational, but even possible, considering the ATI-Factor present on Onyx4. Perhaps a sort of optimization for the ATI's Graphics Engine ???
...We are talking about the same thing? :)

squeen wrote: Also, I've added a feature than modifies the color of the icon and appends the host name if the window is from a remote client. I'm using XAddPixel() to color the image but am not happy with the result--I was looking for something more like a tint. Any clues?

Cool; I was dreamming with such features!!!! :D
...mmmmhhhh; about the tint factor, can you copy the portion of the code here? I'm not aware of the XFree86 related syntax. But seems that XAddPixel() is only a pixel-by-pixel OR function. You need take every single pixel and apply the displacement value only on the color-vector (R,G,B,A channel) desired; against the binary matrix-to-matrix OR function that you are doing now. I can't be more specific to the code, since I don't know the syntax of the lib.

But the basics are: instead of the adding of a solid color matrix by mean of the OR function, displace the value (ALGEBRAIC SUM) of each pixel on the desired wise.

squeen wrote: Thanks.

I hope this could be help to obtain the new "Hyper-IconBar"; I like to try here soon!!!!!!!! :D
Hello, Squeen; was my brief of any use?
I'm wondering if we could see the new IconBar version soon! ;)

I'm expecting by the new features anxiously! ...hehehe! If I can help, just let me know! (even when I'm not initiated even on the MWM API syntax... :? )
Thank you! Very useful.

There's one odd thing i've noticed which is from a cosmetic point of view not looking good: if i move my mouse over the current opened applications they all pop up; i have this feature enabled. If the icon is less big than the maximum size is pops up relatively less to vertical, but still relatively more to horizontal. In the case of XMMS, which (here) has a very small icon, it'll not even pop up in vertical way over the default size of the whole iconbar while it does slightly to the horizontal way.

I'm not sure how this could be fixed or wether it should be fixed at all. In the case of XMMS a different icon could be chosen instead of this one which would make this "bug" at least less apparant.
$ cat TODO
Learn Inner Sanctuary; Act Autonomous; Forge Future; Experience Enthean Enlightenment.
So I've decided I need to work less and work on things I enjoy more...
This leads me to my decision to work on iconbar a little bit more, possibly adding a few more cosmestic features...

I can't say much yet as I'm mulling over ideas - squeen, should I just go ahead and add features to CVS and then contact you about them, or do you want me to make sure to go over them with you before they hit CVS?

Maybe in another week we'll have an updated cvs version with some more prettiness...
Sorry for the late replies, I've been in project reviews for the past week -- an unhappy sort of limbo where one repeatedly talks about the work one needs to do rather than just doing it... :(

Anyway, here's a few responses:

Diego wrote: Hello, Squeen; was my brief of any use?
I'm wondering if we could see the new IconBar version soon!

I think your suggestion is the way to go, but being a bit lazy I was hoping for a short cut. I'll be on holiday for about a week, but I may find some time to squeeze in the new mods. I'll post a message here when the changes are on the sourceforge CVS server. Also, if you are interested, join the iconbar developement team and you can tweak the source as well.

Orakel wrote: if i move my mouse over the current opened applications they all pop up; i have this feature enabled. If the icon is less big than the maximum size is pops up relatively less to vertical, but still relatively more to horizontal...

I use a modified XMMS icon from their web site since the default is just too small. The default minification factor on iconbar is 0.75 and when it pops up it's back to full size. If you want a more pronounced pop-up, use a different icon (and place the RGB file in your ~/.icons directory with the extension .icon ) or make the minification factor greater via the -scale command line argument or put and entry like Iconbar*scale: 0.5 in your .Xdefaults . BTW, I plan to add a section to the homepage with all of my customized icons that work well with iconbar. I hope that correctly addressed your concerns, if not post a screenshot here of the problem and I'll try to fix it.

vegac wrote: should I just go ahead and add features to CVS and then contact you about them, or do you want me to make sure to go over them with you before they hit CVS?

Nah...I trust your judgement and I'm in the mood for surprises! Now that there is a "stable" version out there, I'm more open to experiments. I think I'll branch off the 0.1 version later today so small bug fixes can be added if neccessary, but feel free to tinker with the CVS head version to your heart's content. If I have a chance to finish the "remote color coding" feature I've started, I'll get that in there as well.
Hi,

I confess I did not read this thread completely yet...
just downloaded the iconbar tardist, swmgr... voila:

iconbar requires the default visual to be TrueColor with depth of 24
exiting...

mmmh. Is MaxImpact/TRAM Video on an Indigo2 R10k less?
Is there some FAQ or howto for iconbar?
The requirement for 24bit default is bad, I'll admit.
In the past I tried fixing it with no luck, but I think I'll give that another go today...

Basically, in your Xservers file (in /var/X11/xdm/Xservers I think?) you need to add to the line "-depth 24 -class TrueColor" Make sure to add that to the line and keep it all on 1 line, not 2. You might want to backup the original file so you can restoreit if something goes wrong...

-Bryan
squeen wrote:
Also, if you are interested, join the iconbar developement team and you can tweak the source as well.

...I think that I'll be needing a little work, to get implemented succesfully my motion of the new 36 hours argentine day :D

OK; seriously: take for sure that I'll be collaborating on the inmediate future, even when right now I'm very short of time, working on this happy "reborned" NLE of mine!

But, yes, of course; I'll be glad to contribute in some way to the IconBar jewell! ...I'll be trying as soon as possible some kind of implementation for the color-tint matter. Anyway; any start point to learn the Motif MWM internal syntax is welcome, since I'm using another GUI Toolkit! ;)
Ok today's update #1:

Iconbar no longer requires the default visual to be 24bit TrueColor...
I've tested this on my Octane (8bit default) and O2 (15bit default...) and it's all good here...so I checked the code in.

for those of you that want it - grab from iconbar.sourceforge.net (see the CVS section to get latest CVS code), compile, and run, and voila, you'll have support for that.

Biggest thing this means:
I can have my O2 running at 15bpp default so I can get antialiased icons on desktop/fm, while still running iconbar!

Look for more updates in the next weeks...I'm starting to have some fun :)
From the SGI FAQ's

Subject: -71- How can I make my X Server use a 12-bit PseudoColor, 12-
bit TrueColor or 24-bit TrueColor visual by default?
Date: 07 May 1993 00:00:01 EST

By default, the SGI X Server is configured to use an 8-bit
PseudoColor visual. X-based applications can request other visuals
directly if they are available. Alternatively, you can change the
default visual by performing the following steps:

a) Run "/usr/bin/X11/xdpyinfo" and check that your server is
capable of using a 12-bit or 24-bit visual. If it is,
you will see lines similar to the following:

visual id, max buffers, depth: 0x28, 0, 12
visual id, max buffers, depth: 0x29, 0, 12
visual id, max buffers, depth: 0x2a, 0, 24

The last number on each line represents the number of bits
available for that visual.

b) Log in as root

c) Edit the file /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers. By default it
will contain the string:
:0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -bs -c -pseudomap 4sight
for a 24-bit TrueColor visual change it to:
:0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -bs -c -class TrueColor -depth 24
for a 12-bit PseudoColor visual change it to:
:0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -bs -c -class PseudoColor -depth 12

d) Restart your X server as above.

Note: X Server visuals are an advanced topic; before making the
above changes you should be aware that some 3rd-party and freeware
applications might not gracefully adapt to an X Server which supplies
anything but an 8-bit PseudoColor visual by default.

I would add that the last line is not longer true--most third parth apps expect a 24bit True Color visual. Between vegac and myself we aught to be able to teach iconbar to request the correct visual regardless of the default of the root window. (vegac, I have an article on this I can send you, if you want). Just a matter of time...
vegac! You sly son-of-a-gun! You got the 24bit visual load working. I rebooted my machine in 8bit mode and iconbar starts up no prob (boy do I hate color map swapping :) )!
I'll have to see how you did it over the weekend.

Thanks and nice job!
squeen, thanks. The problem lied rather in the fact XMMS had it's own standard, small icon enabled which SGI Freeware's version disables . I've applied the relevant part of the patch and the problem was fixed. Your solution works also well; the icon has been changed. PS: I'm interested in your customized icons for iconbar section.
$ cat TODO
Learn Inner Sanctuary; Act Autonomous; Forge Future; Experience Enthean Enlightenment.
A purely cosmetic enhancement...

I started doing the "border" code to make it look a bit nicer and what-not in the past.
However I realized that noone was utilizing it - everyone left the standard borders.
So I made some nicer borders...and began running into limitations. Keep in mind I'm not an artist, just a lowly programmer, so if I am hitting limits, that's just sad...

So instead of a simple border image that covers the left and right, I added proper border support:
top left, top, top right
left, right
bottom left, bottom, bottom right

Each individually renderable, each can be a seperate image, which means you can (basically) have a lot more freedom in setting up what iconbar looks like. Also, along with this, I'm adding support for background images as well, along with the custom masks, there'll be support for more proper theming soon enough...

For a sample of what the new borders (can) look like:

In the next couple of days I'll post another update, when the full theming is supported and I can stick some (probably stolen from another project :P ) images in there

Warning: it IS 2am, so if this is unintelligible or makes no sense what so ever, there's my excuse...

And squeen: After I get the imaging support, and fix a few bugs, it'll be going into CVS if that's ok with you :) As with everything else, it's easily disabled