IRIX and Software

SlimDesktop: Ten TarDist Customization Modules For 4Dwm! - Page 1

Anyone go the tardist? I was just dl´ing software from the archives of the nekochan blog to put on a CD, but the site racer.nl doesn´t actually have the tardist anymore.

Also... what frame rates can I expect on a 195 MHz Dual Octane with SI and half a gig RAM?

Thanks for any help.

All Rights Reserved.
I think I have it.
But I am after weeks still waiting for a stupid scsi cable to arrive so I can attach the external scsi bay to my indigo2. So at the moment I can not get to it sadly.
If you don't find it before I get the cable (hope that will happen this lifetime) I'd be glad to put it up.

I'll see if I can scrounge soemthing up, or even email the creator and ask him.

It looks like he's open to peeple helping in developing the software, maybe someone can assist in keeping an IRIX port alive.
God, I really love this place (nekochan.net). Thanks for the help, people, it´s really appreciated.

Neko, you said it was just an archive, meaning source or binaries?

All Rights Reserved.
I found it - both the binary package and data files; they're on my FTP:

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/Games/R ... rix.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/Games/R ... ata.tar.gz

All Rights Reserved.
Hakimoto wrote:
Also... what frame rates can I expect on a 195 MHz Dual Octane with SI and half a gig RAM?

I wouldnt expect any good fps at all on that sady, its quite texture intensive and I dont think there is an option to turn it off. Maybe in newer versions they might have the option.

I tried it a while ago on a 150 R5k indy and it didnt move at all. I managed to remove the texture files and after lots of complaining I had a red screen with a speedo and a blue sky but atleast it appeared to be moving :P
Neko and mare! Thanks for the info.

Neko, you got an MXI, right? Did you ever test it?

It's an MXE ... haven't tested on it though. I did test on Max IMPACT with TRAM a while back; it tends to overflow the 4MB texture RAM rather quickly. I think it would be great on VPro though -- it's a shame it was discontinued now just as VPro prices are getting to the point where they'll find their way to more hobbyist's Octanes.

Unless there was some incredible technical hurdle to maintaining the IRIX port, I think this horse was put to pasture way too early.

All Rights Reserved.
The "technical hurdle" from what I read on the racer.nl site was just that his Irix development system was an O2 workstation and that it couldn't handle the graphics anymore, so unless he was/is given a better sgi system for development, he won't have an irix binary. Though you can still get the source and irix makefiles it seems. You need Mipspro C++ to compile it though.

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure
wolflord wrote:
Though you can still get the source and irix makefiles it seems. You need Mipspro C++ to compile it though.

The source is (so far) only for 0.4.9 which is the same version as the removed IRIX binary (the one I have linked above is 0.4.9b2 according to the menu screen). That being the case, why remove the IRIX binary at all? If no one was truly interested in it then I can't see it being a bandwidth issue.

I'm just venting here, obviously only the author can answer that one :)

All Rights Reserved.
Forgive me for asking stupidly
but this freeciv game, is that a game that only can be played over net
man to man ?. can i not play normal agenst the computer like most other stratigy games

cause i shure cant find out how,

i installed it and all i can see is the civ server and a civ client.

i can start both but cant figure out if i can play agenst computer or how if possible

MIS

MIS
I strongly suppose it´s ONLY multip player. I don´t like games which don´t also give you the opportunity to play against an AI.

You have to start the server with certain parameters. let me find out how. Will try it in a few.

And I hate multiplayer games so I'm very glad this option is available.

you have to use the 'aifill' option in the civserver
(start civserver, and do 'set aifill <number of computerplayers>')

%civclient&
Next start the server
%civserver
Create a few AI opponents:
Quote:
This is the server for Freeciv version 1.14.0
You can learn a lot about Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org/
2: Now accepting new client connections.

For introductory help, type 'help'.
> create badguy1
2: stalin has been added as an AI-controlled player.
> create badguy2
2: hilter has been added as an AI-controlled player.
> create badguy3
2: mussolini has been added as an AI-controlled player.
>

Then I connect to the game from the civclient GUI which gives
Quote:
2: Connection request from squeen from localhost
2: squeen has client version 1.14.0
2: squeen has joined as player squeen.

and then type " start " in the civserver prompt.
Also note that the games are automatically saved incrementally in your current directory (or explictly by typing save in the server prompt), so it's a good idea to start in a freeciv subdirectory of some sort.
To exit just quit the client GUI and type " quit " in the server prompt.
Saved games can be recalled by issuing the command at start up
%civserver -f <saved file name>
Hope that helps.
Well; last night I was a little bored, without Nekochan.Net to browse; you know, one of the Neko's Origin200 was down, and the whole site was down with it. :(

Then a little idea brings to mi mind, takes force; and finally: Voila'!

SlimDesktop: Ten TarDist Customization Modules For 4Dwm!

Why not? :D
I've resulted inspired by all the newbees asking about 4Dwm customizations, and finally, by the whole bunch of ultra-lazy people (like me!) that hates repeat the whole set of customizations on their systems, every time the IRIX OS is fresh installed.

Oh, well; this packages are only a crazy attempt to find a customization group useful for the vast majory, and so easy to install as a bunch of tardist packages! :D

The only requirements are: your host must be called: "IRIS", or you'll need copy some files to your ".desktop-<YourHostName>" from ".desktop-IRIS"

The rest works fine without any modification on any other host named systems; but I could suggest save a backup of your current customization files if it is not a fresh install.

Of course; it is only freeware on a cheap&dirty beta phase; and I'll be happy to add more features if people submit changes; specially on the side of string-replacement scripts to autodetect host features, and then make a fully automated version.

But if your host is called "IRIS", and you have a fresh install; then, it is right now automatic! ;)

I'll upload the packages soon; once polished some little features. But it works pefect right now.

I hope be of your interest, specially if you are a NewBee , a Lazy , or just and simply a guy/girl with the desire of get cloned easily your SGI desktops!

Cheers! ;)