IRIX and Software

SlimDesktop: Ten TarDist Customization Modules For 4Dwm! - Page 3

Hello Diego,

I just have a few minor things you might consider changing, but before complaining, let me tell you that I enjoy your xdefaults, I found quite a few nice things you did there I didn't know before!

However, you should really change the permissions of the config files, like /.cshrc and such. Right now, its 777 and so if someone were to install slimdesktop on a multiuser machine, everyone could insert stuff into roots csh scripts and therefore gain root priviliges.

It would also be nice if you could include the other vfc files for MGRAS machines into slimdesktop. If you want to make it really nifty, you could also use swpkg to install those files based on which machine it's being installed on (see the attrbutes tab on swpkg).

I was also wondering whether you would consider including xli, so that the background images could be included as .jpgs, which would decrease the size of the tardist considerably.

Let me know what you think about my suggestions and keep up the great work!

Greetings
Tobias
friedbits wrote:
Hello Diego,

I just have a few minor things you might consider changing, but before complaining, let me tell you that I enjoy your xdefaults, I found quite a few nice things you did there I didn't know before!

Hello Tobias; no problem at all; I'm open to suggestions! ;)

friedbits wrote:
However, you should really change the permissions of the config files, like /.cshrc and such. Right now, its 777 and so if someone were to install slimdesktop on a multiuser machine, everyone could insert stuff into roots csh scripts and therefore gain root priviliges.

Yes; This was a major bug on the previous release, it is fixed now.

friedbits wrote:
It would also be nice if you could include the other vfc files for MGRAS machines into slimdesktop. If you want to make it really nifty, you could also use swpkg to install those files based on which machine it's being installed on (see the attrbutes tab on swpkg).

No problem; but could pass me any link to those vfc files? The problem is: I don't have any Octane box, only O2(s) here. And yes for sure, I know how to build these platform dependant tardist.

friedbits wrote:
I was also wondering whether you would consider including xli, so that the background images could be included as .jpgs, which would decrease the size of the tardist considerably.

Let me know what you think about my suggestions and keep up the great work!

Greetings
Tobias

...mmmhhh; I could check these one, but on my experience the 4Dwm desktop behaves slower when using JPEG backgounds; let me know your experience anyway...

Thanks in advance Tobias; your feedback is very welcomed! ;)
Cheers!

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
Quote:
Yes; This was a major bug on the previous release, it is fixed now.

That's great :D

Quote:
No problem; but could pass me any link to those vfc files? The problem is: I don't have any Octane box, only O2(s) here. And yes for sure, I know how to build these platform dependant tardist.

They are available from Nicoya's homepage , it was on neko's blog some time ago. If you decide to include them, I would gladly test it for you, I have MGRAS graphics options on Indigo2 and Octane.

Quote:
...mmmhhh; I could check these one, but on my experience the 4Dwm desktop behaves slower when using JPEG backgounds; let me know your experience anyway...

Hm, I never noticed any difference in speed once the graphics are loaded, I was asking because loading an xpm pixmap to the background on the O2 I have at work takes like almost 2 minutes (granted, it's only a 270MHz r12k with 256MB ram, so nothing fancy like your 600MHz machines, but well, it takes an awful long time).

Greetings
Tobias
friedbits wrote:
They are available from Nicoya's homepage , it was on neko's blog some time ago. If you decide to include them, I would gladly test it for you, I have MGRAS graphics options on Indigo2 and Octane.

Sure; right now I'll arrange a new modules including thoses. Then I'll drop an email to Nicoya (Tony Nicoya Mantler, right?), to ask him by authorization to include them.

friedbits wrote:
Hm, I never noticed any difference in speed once the graphics are loaded, I was asking because loading an xpm pixmap to the background on the O2 I have at work takes like almost 2 minutes (granted, it's only a 270MHz r12k with 256MB ram, so nothing fancy like your 600MHz machines, but well, it takes an awful long time).

Greetings
Tobias

Okay, I'll see what can I do. I'll give it a try to the xli option, converting the images to JPEG. And by the way, I could use the opportunity to include more background images, so, if anyone feels brave and has some nice designs, this is the chance to add them! ;)

Well folks, now you know thanks to *who* the new release there'll be delayed! :P :lol: ....Just joking; I'll be glad to include the changes, adding new functionallities to this package.
More news to follow soon...

Octane / Dual Head

friedbits wrote:

Octane / Dual Head

There's gotta be a fairy somewhere, making my wishes come true ;-)

Great job, Diego!
friedbits wrote:
There's gotta be a fairy somewhere, making my wishes come true ;-)

Great job, Diego!

:lol: You're welcome, Tobias! Good suggestions are always interesting to do! ;)
By the way, I have not means to try the other two setmon file sets that I'm including for 1RSS and 2RSS graphic systems; since as I've mentioned before, I have not Indigo2/Octane MGRAS based boxes here, and when you arrange a platform dependant tardist "SoftwareManager" will not show the content for those non friendly packages for your platform; so, I'll make the best to post the whole SlimDesktop V0.06 this night, to give you the chance to try it as the first Beta-Tester! :)

Anyway, I think all is ready to use there, but I need an official confirmation!
Best regards,

Octane / Dual Head

Sure, will be glad to test, once it's done. Just spend half the night tracking a silly thing with openntpd though :(
friedbits wrote:
Sure, will be glad to test, once it's done. Just spend half the night tracking a silly thing with openntpd though :(

Yup!; I've seen the topic on the Nekoware thread, but seems that you have the case solved by now! ;) Good work!
I'll post the link once finished SlimDesktop V0.06, and I'll try to upload it also to incoming. right now I'm fighting with a few tardists of another kind, but I'll have it ready soon.

Octane / Dual Head

Hi All,

I downloaded Freeciv from Foetz directory.
bunzipped and untarred the file.

Then I thought to get it running I start it like this:
civclient

but that gives me the follolwing error messages:
root>civclient
1887:civclient: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libintl.so.4' under any of the filenames /usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.4:/temp/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4:/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.4:/usr/nekoware/dev/pango-1.6.0/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4:/usr/lib32/libintl.so.4:/usr/lib32/internal/libintl.so.4:/lib32/libintl.so.4:/opt/lib32/libintl.so.4:/usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.4.4:/temp/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/nekoware/dev/pango-1.6.0/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/lib32/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/lib32/internal/libintl.so.4.4:/lib32/libintl.so.4.4:/opt/lib32/libintl.so.4.4:

Does any one have any idea where to put freeciv directory in the first place?
and which dependancies does it have?
Should I use (if any) SGI freeware or Nekochan freeware dependancies?

Kind regards,
try the neko_freeciv2 tardist. Works fine.
loonvf wrote:
Hi All,

I downloaded Freeciv from Foetz directory.
bunzipped and untarred the file.

Then I thought to get it running I start it like this:
civclient

but that gives me the follolwing error messages:
root>civclient
1887:civclient: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libintl.so.4' under any of the filenames /usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.4:/temp/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4:/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.4:/usr/nekoware/dev/pango-1.6.0/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4:/usr/lib32/libintl.so.4:/usr/lib32/internal/libintl.so.4:/lib32/libintl.so.4:/opt/lib32/libintl.so.4:/usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.4.4:/temp/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/nekoware/dev/pango-1.6.0/pango/.libs/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/lib32/libintl.so.4.4:/usr/lib32/internal/libintl.so.4.4:/lib32/libintl.so.4.4:/opt/lib32/libintl.so.4.4:

Does any one have any idea where to put freeciv directory in the first place?
and which dependancies does it have?
Should I use (if any) SGI freeware or Nekochan freeware dependancies?

Kind regards,

The libintl.so comes from gettext. So just install neko_gettext and be sure that you have usr/nekoware/lib in your LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH. Or as squeen already told you use the neko_freeciv-2.

regards
Joerg
I followed the advice of squeen and installed neko_freeciv-2 together
with all its nekoware dependancies.
I get the game up and running but the colors are f*cked up.
This evening I will post the error messages that I get during start
so that might give you a clue for what is going wrong.
loonvf wrote:
I followed the advice of squeen and installed neko_freeciv-2 together
with all its nekoware dependancies.
I get the game up and running but the colors are f*cked up.
This evening I will post the error messages that I get during start
so that might give you a clue for what is going wrong.

You have already enabled 24bit color modus for your root window? The game works fine on my i2 and octane.

regards
Joerg
Hi Joerg,

Please help me a bit, how do I enable 24bit color modus for my root window?
I ran the game on my Octane with V6 card and irix 6.5.23 or 24
loonvf wrote:
Hi Joerg,

Please help me a bit, how do I enable 24bit color modus for my root window?
I ran the game on my Octane with V6 card and irix 6.5.23 or 24

Take a look to http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archives/000004.html .

regards
Joerg
friedbits wrote:

Well, it is done!
Now everyone can choose between:

JPG Background Images With XLI Support (Nekoware Dependencies)

XPM Background Images With Native 4Dwm Support (No Dependencies)

Sorry, did you say something? 8)
Thanks by your suggestion again!
Cheers! ;)

Octane / Dual Head

IRIX 6.5.22+ can handle .jpg background images natively (and PNG, BMP, etc.) ... what IRIX version are you targeting here, Diego? Since Nekoware targets 6.5.22+ anyway XLI is unnecessary.

If you're not aware of the method for using native .jpg backgrounds, see my post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=3984

All Rights Reserved.
I get a coredump too, irix 6.4.22, o2
:x
Thanks Joerg, I did the modification but still I get these errors:

(civclient:2171): Gdk-WARNING **: Attempt to draw a drawable with depth 24 to a drawable with depth 8

(civclient:2171): Gdk-WARNING **: Attempt to draw a drawable with depth 24 to a drawable with depth 8

I have no ideawhat it might be.