IRIX and Software

Word Perfect 6.0 - Page 1

Saw this on ebay, Irix (which version) compatible?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare- ... 234a7d73f4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
It'll definitely install and run on IRIX 5.3 (WP6 and IRIX 5.3 both came out around the same time in 1994), and it runs on IRIX 6.x systems, but you may need to do some tricks to get it to install on newer systems, mostly because of changes in the FLEXlm license manager between IRIX 5.x and IRIX 6.x, IIRC.
5.3 doesn't come with flexlm at all. wordperfect would have to supply it on its own.
r-a-c.de
let me understand: does this software require a flex license in order to work ?
if so, how to run it on an IRIX 6.5.22 machine ( my little O2+) ?
ivelegacy wrote: let me understand: does this software require a flex license in order to work ?
if so, how to run it on an IRIX 6.5.22 machine ( my little O2+) ?

well to run it you'd need the mentioned license
r-a-c.de
so, as the fact this software is very old … how to get a license ?
i mean, is the license related to the mac-address, disk serial number, or such a stuff ?
in other words, if i buy the item form ebay, … what should i do next ?
josehill wrote: but you may need to do some tricks to get it to install on newer systems, mostly because of changes in the FLEXlm license manager between IRIX 5.x and IRIX 6.x, IIRC.

can you tell me more about these tricks ?
i have IRIX 6.5.22 :mrgreen:
ivelegacy wrote: can you tell me more about these tricks ?
i have IRIX 6.5.22 :mrgreen:

I don't remember any specifics, but searching old Usenet newsgroup posts might get you closer to an answer. (I'm not trying to be difficult. I really don't remember.)
isn't there any documentation about it ?
the items costs 40 pounds shipped, i mean … it's a bit of money and i want to be sure it will ok for me

anyone else has informations about that ?
anyone has experience with a word processor for IRIX ?
i do not like OpenOffice, and i need a Word application
I have installed WordPerfect 6.0 on my Fuel/6.5.30 and it works.
I had to enter the licence number.
ivelegacy wrote: i do not like OpenOffice, and i need a Word application

If you need to give docs to other people, there is a Ted in nekoware. It makes rft's. With Windows hiding the extensions, most people won't even know they aren't MS doc files. There are some things about the interface which are annoying but in general, it's ok.

In the other direction, you're screwed. All these decades of a thousand eyes, a thousand hands but still nothing. Really fast javascript tho. Be still, my heart.
he said I like it, I want it, I'll take it off your hands ...
ivelegacy wrote: anyone has experience with a word processor for IRIX ?
i do not like OpenOffice, and i need a Word application

AbiWord is decently compatible with MS Word.
SGI:
:Fuel: R16000A@900MHz 3GB V10
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300
:A3502L:
For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies, Octane2 maxed out.
TeamBlackFox wrote: AbiWord is decently compatible with MS Word.

Unfortunately, the one we have in nekoware also has trouble with doc files - at least the ones I tried. Most of the formatting got seriously screwed up. Open Orifice is still the only thing we have commonly available that imports ok :(
guys i do not want OpenOffice, i want Word Perfect, and i like to know about it
Just give it a try and let us know how it goes, you can still get it (apparently, I can see the file but I have not tried to dl it) here:

ftp://ftp.corel.ca/pub/WordPerfect/wpunix/60-5.2/demo/sgi/
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
thank you
i have put it into my ftp download
i will test soon :mrgreen:
ivelegacy wrote: guys i do not want OpenOffice, i want Word Perfect, and i like to know about it

If any old word processor will work for you, then Word Perfect will be fine. This is Word Perfect 6, you know. Compatibility with other formats will be limited. The other common options would be Abiword (in nekoware), Ted (in nekoware), Framemaker (commercial but can read and write some doc formats), and there's a demo of Artstream that might be of interest. Artstream crashes for me if I try to do too much with it but you may have better luck. If you are only doing documents for yourself, you might try playing with Showcase. That's on the Applications CD ? It creates 'compelling multimedia presentations' but you should be able to limit yourself to one medium :)

There are some others but they are harder to find than a needle in a haystack.

All of them do word processing fine, it's when you try to exchange Mickeysoft Word doc files with other people that you have problems. Ted does rtf, which works with Word as long as the person on the other end doesn't turn it into a doc file. The Abiword in nekoware pretty much butchers doc files. A newer one might be better. Framemaker is okay up to Word 97, maybe 2000. After that I have not tried. Open Office is probably the best bet for importing Mickeysoft documents. Exporting is easy - worst case is you print to a PostScript file, then use ps2pdf to change it to a pdf. That works like a charm and almost anyone can read those.

Mickey should be tied to a post in front of a firing squad for the newest docx abortion. The only way I have found around that so far is some Windows crap or an online converter. Grrr. Anyone know of a handy-dandy docx-to-reasonable converter ?
If I remember correctly, the demo WP file at Corel's site is corrupt. There used to be a fixed version somewhere out on the net, but I haven't been able to find it.
josehill wrote: If I remember correctly, the demo WP file at Corel's site is corrupt. There used to be a fixed version somewhere out on the net, but I haven't been able to find it.

Might be on the Nekochan FTP someplace. I seem to remember having it there.

Edit: I couldn't find it, so I stuck a copy I found in my archives there. Not sure if it's different from what's out there or not though.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.