IRIX and Software

Word Perfect 6.0 - Page 2

Case anyone's wondering more specifically where our fearless leader put his archived copy, see here:

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/General/

Also, I'm seeing some ancient posts about the corruption that josehill mentioned, supposedly this guy posted a fixed version on his website but it's gone now, or at least I can't find it. Bolder souls than I may deign to contact him to see if he's still got it stashed somewhere...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
hi
i downloaded the previous file and i confirm: it's corrupted!

Code: Select all

tar -xzf WordPerfectUnix-v60-5.2.tgz
tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

now i am downloading from

where i have seen this file

-rw-r--r-- 1 ftpuser ftpusers 43840825 Feb 21 21:51 WordPerfect_6.0.tar.gz

is it a Demo ? it is not clear to me how/where it is limited about.

what about the guy who is selling "WordPerfect For Unix"
it is an original set of CDs for UNIX, IRIX is in this set

i have not understood the license question: should i have a license in order to run WordPerfect on Irix ?
Does it run on 6.5.22 or 6.5.27 ?
hamei wrote: Compatibility with other formats will be limited

to exchange Mickeysoft Word doc files i already have Office/XP on my ugly XP/PC :lol:

On my SGI-box i'd like to have something to self-document my fun

thank you for the alternatives
  • Abiword (in nekoware, i already have it, and i do not like it)
  • Ted (in nekoware, never tried yet, but it is in my todo list )
  • Framemaker (commercial, never seen before)
  • Showcase (it is in my todo list)

Also to document my mathematical stuff i have already bought a copy of Wolfram Mathematica for SGI

Wolfram has released a free copy of Mathematica for the Raspberry/PI platform
ivelegacy wrote: what about the guy who is selling "WordPerfect For Unix"
it is an original set of CDs for UNIX, IRIX is in this set

i have not understood the license question: should i have a license in order to run WordPerfect on Irix ?
Does it run on 6.5.22 or 6.5.27 ?

The boxed version that is on eBay appears to be the full, commercial package. People have reported that it works on various versions of IRIX 6.5, including earlier in this thread :

hoosyny wrote: I have installed WordPerfect 6.0 on my Fuel/6.5.30 and it works.
I had to enter the licence number.

Perhaps you can contact hoosyny for more details.

ivelegacy wrote: On my SGI-box i'd like to have something to self-document my fun

A lot of people just use the graphical NEdit text editor that comes with IRIX for documenting stuff on their systems. It might not be very fancy, but it is very fast and quite capable. You won't get "word processor" features like bold, italics, etc., but it's great for taking notes. As I said, it's included with IRIX, though there is a newer version of it available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nedit/f ... table/5.5/ .
nekonoko wrote: Might be on the Nekochan FTP someplace. I seem to remember having it there.

Edit: I couldn't find it, so I stuck a copy I found in my archives there. Not sure if it's different from what's out there or not though.

Cool! Thanks! The nekochan file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger than the one at Corel, so I take that as a good sign.
josehill wrote: The nekochan file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger than the one at Corel, so I take that as a good sign.

it is, extracted without a problem. however it extracts with the full path which is / :shock:
so i re-packed it with relative paths and put it up. this saves neko some bandwidth and there's no 16kb/s limit either :P

r-a-c.de/sgi/wp6.tar.bz2
r-a-c.de
josehill wrote: A lot of people just use the graphical NEdit text editor that comes with IRIX for documenting stuff on their systems. It might not be very fancy, but it is very fast and quite capable. You won't get "word processor" features like bold, italics, etc., but it's great for taking notes. As I said, it's included with IRIX, though there is a newer version of it available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nedit/f ... table/5.5/

i am a gentoo/mips developer and i am used to use { nedit, nano, pico, ne, vi/vim, emacs, hexedit } for things like composing/editing a C source code and - sometimes - also some piece of binary chunks

i have already ported to IRIX a few gentoo's apps, like hexedit and nano, and i am also trying to port geany, which is a bit more complex due to its dependencies with GTK+

if i write that I want to use wordeditor to document my things (things that MUST use a word editors features like notes/bold/italics/underlined/font/size etc etc ) i perfectly know the difference between a text editor and a word editor !
@foetz
have you installed it ?
is it a demo ? if so, which are its limits ?

i am thinking about buying the WordPerfect Box from the guy from ebay
ivelegacy wrote: @foetz
have you installed it ?
is it a demo ? if so, which are its limits ?

haven't tried it yet but will do so later. gonna post my findings then of course
r-a-c.de
I bought it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
foetz wrote:
josehill wrote: The nekochan file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger than the one at Corel, so I take that as a good sign.

it is, extracted without a problem. however it extracts with the full path which is / :shock:
so i re-packed it with relative paths and put it up. this saves neko some bandwidth and there's no 16kb/s limit either :P

r-a-c.de/sgi/wp6.bz2

Cool, thanks for checking! I updated the local copy with your file as well.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
uunix wrote: I bought it.

nice, please let us know some details once it has arrived :-)
r-a-c.de
ivelegacy wrote: if i write that I want to use wordeditor to document my things (things that MUST use a word editors features like notes/bold/italics/underlined/font/size etc etc ) i perfectly know the difference between a text editor and a word editor !

A lot of people who join the forum are new to the platform, and I was just trying to help, in case you were in that category. Frankly, when we get questions about desktop programs like WordPerfect, they're usually from people who are coming from a PC environment, are new to Unix, and they don't usually know the difference between a text editor and a word processor. No offense intended.
ivelegacy wrote: if i write that I want to use wordeditor to document my things (things that MUST use a word editors features like notes/bold/italics/underlined/font/size etc etc ) i perfectly know the difference between a text editor and a word editor !

WordPerfect and other word processing applications on IRIX follow two rules:

They're old, and proprietary, like WordPerfect.

They're old and open source, like OpenOffice.

If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over. Otherwise, updating Abiword or providing us with another productivity application from BSD or Linux-land would be appreciated. You know the old adage: If you don't like how someone else does it, you might as well do it yourself.
SGI:
:A3502L: Dual Itanium [email protected] 4GB Marisa
:Octane2: Dual R14000A@600MHz 2GB V12 Sakuya
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies.
TeamBlackFox wrote: If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over.

This is actually a huge project, much bigger than it looks on the surface. Just building the thing took something like eight hours on an O3000 .... there are some threads here from the time the original was done with input from the guy who did it, check them out.

In fact, we're lucky to have the version we do. I hate the thing but it can be useful.

Possibly the most useful thing the entire non-M$ world could use would be a good doc/docx-to-rtf converter. Or maybe doc-to-postscript. Many non-mainstream word processors can work with rtf. It's possible already to import rtf's but getting the general public to pay attention to what they are doing, ha ! good luck with that.

Antiword would be a potential starting point.
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
hamei wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote: If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over.

This is actually a huge project, much bigger than it looks on the surface. Just building the thing took something like eight hours on an O3000 .... there are some threads here from the time the original was done with input from the guy who did it, check them out.

In fact, we're lucky to have the version we do. I hate the thing but it can be useful.

if i got that right TeamBlackFox suggested using an office on gentoo and just using the sgi for x.
r-a-c.de
Yeah that's what I meant foetz.
SGI:
:A3502L: Dual Itanium [email protected] 4GB Marisa
:Octane2: Dual R14000A@600MHz 2GB V12 Sakuya
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies.
foetz wrote: if i got that right TeamBlackFox suggested using an office on gentoo and just using the sgi for x.

In that case, skip the waste of electricity and run it on any old Loonix box directly. What's the point of Irix if all you do is display gtk2/qt/gtk3 Loonix programs on it ? Additional complexity that adds nothing .. why bother ?
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
hamei wrote: What's the point of Irix if all you do is display gtk2/qt/gtk3 Loonix programs on it ? Additional complexity that adds nothing .. why bother ?

of course. that only makes sense if the loonix box is running anyway
r-a-c.de
Well, I don't know about you guys but I can't get XSgi to accept a firefox window from my loonix-- damn, now he's got me doing it, linux box because XSgi is missing the RANDR extention. Been meaning to look into that for a while now, anyone know where sgi keeps the source code for their version of X? 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...