IRIX and Software

Word Perfect 6.0 - Page 3

:shrug: I've gotten my home infra to the point that browsing the internet from Sakuya or Alice isn't really a priority. Just have my FreeBSD or NetBSD boxes download it onto an NFSv3 share, and I have it as fast, if not faster, than trying to use Fireflop or Dicklow.
SGI:
:A3502L: Dual Itanium [email protected] 4GB Marisa
:Octane2: Dual R14000A@600MHz 2GB V12 Sakuya
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies.
vishnu wrote: XSgi is missing the RANDR extention. Been meaning to look into that for a while now, anyone know where sgi keeps the source code for their version of X? 8-)

I noticed that in the past. The odd thing is that xrandr is incompatible with xcinerama, so it must be possible to build loonix-fireflop without randr ? Either that or no one uses cinerama on loonix ?

TeamBlackFox wrote: ... browsing the internet from Sakuya or Alice isn't really a priority. Just have my FreeBSD or NetBSD boxes download it onto an NFSv3 share ...

Whoa. You download the internet for local use ? Isn't that kind of extreme ?
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
hamei wrote: Whoa. You download the internet for local use ? Isn't that kind of extreme ?

Har! :lol:

Wait a minute, this is completely f-ed, according to xdpyinfo my octane does have the RANDR extension! :shock:

I guess it's just not a good enough RANDR for stoopy 'ol fireflop... :(
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Correction : just checked with our M$ Word 2000, it claims to import and save_as WordPerfect 5 files.

Online claims are that Word 2007 will read-write wpd6 files.

Not sure how well that works but it's worth a test run. Abiword didn't do so hot for us but maybe Mickey is better. In daily use, we found it was easier to stick to rtf.

This one :

http://xibios.free.fr/english/xallwrite.html

has had me fascinated for years. It looks great and the website is still there but no trace of the files anywhere :( Any clues, miod ?
hamei wrote: Mickey should be tied to a post in front of a firing squad for the newest docx abortion. The only way I have found around that so far is some Windows crap or an online converter. Grrr. Anyone know of a handy-dandy docx-to-reasonable converter ?

Depends how complex the document is, and whether you are interested in content or formatting. For simple ones, treat the docx files as a zip "contain" and rummage within for the xml file with the content (sorry, only had a brief fettle a few months ago and don't remember exactly where in the "directory" structure it sits). Hardly handy-dandy, I'll admit!
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; RiscPC Kinetic-StrongARM/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.21 or Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
I'm confusicated, according to the Oracle (wikipedia) Microsoft supports the Open Document format in the following:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Office 2003 and Office XP (with the Open Source OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in for Office)[35]
Microsoft Office 2007 (from service pack 2 release) supports ODF 1.1 [36]
Microsoft Office 2010 supports ODF 1.1
Microsoft Office 2013 supports ODF 1.2
Microsoft OneDrive / Office Web Apps[37]

There's got to be an open source Open Document reader somewhere that we can get to run under Irix, yes/no?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
TeamBlackFox wrote: If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over

i already did it on my x86/linux box, and i have ported gentoo on my Octane2 (which is unsupported experimental machine)
i am running an old kernel 2.6.17, i have a full SMP support but with an ugly big-kernel lock, so … having an SMP 2xR12K cpu module installed performs like having 1.5 CPU instead of 2.

i have recently added the PCI-USB support to my Octane2, pretty able to attach an usb-disk but with a limited throughput of 20Mbyte/sec, this happens due to the XBOW chip, and the XIO-to-PCI, which are not exactly well understood and documented.

also X11 is working ONLY on Impact/SR video board, the V6 is not supported

btw, i have a combo video board, both Impact/SR and V6, so i could simply emerge app-office/abiword
Homepage: http://www.abisource.com/
Description: Fully featured yet light and fast cross platform word processor

in order to have a pretty updated version of abiword on my Octane2, but my conclusion is: why should i do that ? gentoo is not a good idea to achieve workstation purposes on Octane2, so for serious tasks, like desktop's tasks, you'd better use an x86 machine (with ubuntu)

i am still used to toy with gentoo on octane2 to do something development, and this means remote text console

i have bought a mac-mini/intel, i have put gentoo on, and emerged app-office/abiword, it's so pretty easy to export the display under my pretty Apple book/air using X11/Quartz, so i am able to sit on my laptop in order to use abiword which is physically running on my mac-mini/linux

but again … why shouldn't install a native macosx version of open office instead toying on remote machines ? And why should i have to install Abiword on irix experting the display over an ssh tunnel to my laptop ? It was fun when i was a student, now i want to toy different, and i do not want to spend to much time developing or porting things under Irix, that because Irix is simply EOL, that means it's good only for hobby, and for my hobby i like ONLY to have original commercial applications.

to short this story: I prefer to have original and pretty old Unix applications, instead of trying to port modern (open source) applications to an EOL platform. WordPerfect is exactly like that, it was a pretty old Unix application, so i want it, and i want to use it to document my things under Irix.
@josehill
no problem
i have reported a few pretty open source text editors
nano under Irix is my most used one :mrgreen:
A developer, using nano as their main editor? Thought I'd never see the day, 99.9% of developers I know use either Vi in some form or EMACS
SGI:
Non-SGI:
HP C8000

i have written "nano under irix is my most used one", it does not mean anything else. To code and design a safeC (aka MISRA C embedded) application i am used to use "geany" + "automake", which is not an editor, it is an IDE (integrated development equipment), and it works on X11, and personally everything else i have tried … vim + "nerd tree" (vi plugin), whatever … is simply not productive.

btw, nano is the default editor you can find in macOSX and gentoo, so why should i learn 8239833253309893243123131 editors ? Nano is fine enough to configure scripts, and here we go on irix.

Personally i also think that you can be a good developer if you design a pretty piece of code, and this imply to be able to use "Understand", or "Stood", plus a pretty deep coverage analysis tool and so on.

btw, i am fine with WP-v6, here it is a screenshot, it is running on SGI/Impact, i have exported the display to quartX11 on macOSX in order to take a snapshot; i have asked a friend of mine to use his machine, i do not have any access to my Octane2 and O2 at the moment, they are physically very far away, 200Km at least, from me

thank you for the link, it's pretty working :D
IveLegacy I'm just giving you a hard time! I'm a Traditional Vi/Vim user myself. But blech, Apple. The only cool Apple is the poison apple from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, that and the ones that are edible.

I just find it a bit funny that you actually like WordPerfect.
SGI:
Non-SGI:
HP C8000

vishnu wrote: There's got to be an open source Open Document reader somewhere that we can get to run under Irix, yes/no?

ajw99 is right, you can unzip a docx and retrieve the text but other than the raw materials contained therein, you lose everything :(

Did a new search, there's now a couple potentials :

this one is c#, might be translatable into a real language ?

https://docx.codeplex.com/

and this one, originally written for open orfice, newer oo supposedly translates automatically (no good for us) but this still exists, as the builtin oo translator is apparently not so good :

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/12/better- ... erter.html

So, things are looking up on the docx front ?

ivelegacy wrote: also X11 is working ONLY on Impact/SR video board, the V6 is not supported

Mardi Gras and VPro don't do video. They are graphics boards. Octane Compression, Personal Video, Impact Video, Video for Impact (gotta love SGI naming), Digital Video, etc are video boards.

SGI != PeeCee.

btw, i am fine with WP-v6, here it is a screenshot,

Glad you like it, here's your screeny on a more permanent basis ... those photo sites suck the big ten inch

wordperfect6.jpg
wordperfect6.jpg (5.44 KiB) Viewed 199 times

it is running on SGI/Impact, i have exported the display to quartX11 on macOSX in order to take a snapshot;

If you want to save yourself some trouble, < snapshot > is included with just about all the later versions of Irix. Not sure where it lives but if you did

keep *
install standard
install prereqs

it will be on the disk somewhere.
/usr/sbin/snapshot
about gentoo on IP30:

snapshot, moved in this thread
TeamBlackFox wrote: I just find it a bit funny that you actually like WordPerfect

more fun with Mathematica v5 for Irix :mrgreen:

i am a funny person, for example i have bought an Acorn Risc/PC machine, equipped with a strongArm @200Mhz and a 486DX4@100Mhz guest second cpu board, this machine in such hw configuration is able to run Windows 3.11 inside the x86 card and to handle its interface inside RISC/OS, from the user point of view it looks like ~ "virtualBOX", i mean a box within an other OS, on W311 box i have installed Mathematica v3 , and WordPerfect . They run very nice, it's a pleasure to use them, as it's fun on Irix.

It happens sometimes, for hobby purposes
all funny things :mrgreen:
hamei wrote: Mardi Gras and VPro don't do video. They are graphics boards. Octane Compression, Personal Video, Impact Video, Video for Impact (gotta love SGI naming), Digital Video, etc are video boards.

yeah, i meant " video frame buffer board ", shortly " video board ", referring about how i am using V6 and Impact/pro on linux, but you are right about that, according to SGI terminology , they are graphics boards, unfortunately without any hw acceleration on linux, also the V6 is not able to be used with X11, a lot of hw details are still unknown, but it works fine as text console :lol:
Opened up a bit of history, box was large, 6 CDs, 3 books, Install Guide, User Guide, References..
Inserted Disk 1.. ran install.wp (without reading any manuals of cause)...
Error: Unable to run any of the blah blah blah.. you may be on an unsupported platform.

Anyway, it's late now, so will attempt another day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
ivelegacy wrote: i am a funny person, for example i have bought an Acorn Risc/PC machine, equipped with a strongArm @200Mhz and a 486DX4@100Mhz guest second cpu board, this machine in such hw configuration is able to run Windows 3.11 inside the x86 card and to handle its interface inside RISC/OS, from the user point of view it looks like ~ "virtualBOX", i mean a box within an other OS, on W311 box i have installed Mathematica v3 , and WordPerfect . They run very nice, it's a pleasure to use them, as it's fun on Irix.

It happens sometimes, for hobby purposes
all funny things :mrgreen:

In case you have problems with the RiscPC or want to ask any questions, I have one and a couple of other nekochan members use / have used RISCOS so posting to Board index » Other Platforms » Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware might be useful, or pm me directly. The usenet groups comp.sys.acorn.[various] are "live" - groups for hardware, apps, networking, misc and extra-cpu (for 486-related issues), and current RISCOS development is being discussed at www.riscosopen.org (several forums, plus a version of RISCOS 5.20 for the RiscPC/A7000). The Raspberry Pi (and other ARM boards) have reinvigorated things, though you lose the option of a 486 co-pro!

Afterthought - do you have PCPro 3.07 for the 486? That's the latest version, open source available from http://www.riscos.info/index.php/PC , with add-ons for networking, SCSI support etc.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; RiscPC Kinetic-StrongARM/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.21 or Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21