IRIX and Software

neko perl spamassassin - Page 2

that changes nothing
Well, that was interesting .... my O2 runs at 1440 x 900 so I thought I'd give it a shot from home. Found out I didn't have glut installed so got that. Gave the executable a double-click and wham ! computer locked up tighter than a Shanghai Princess' pocketbook. Not the desktop, the entire thing. Vulcan death grip failed, power button failed, I had to pull its life support cord. Sumbitch.

Got it back running again, since Mom is a Republican I guess stupidity is inherited. I gave it another try, this time from a terminal. Wham ! locked up instantly again. I was hoping that just that app would freeze and I could close the terminal window but no such luck. Same thing, nothing did nothin', had to cut off her vital bodily fluids to shut down. Damn commies are everywhere.

This is an r5k-350 O2 running 6.5.22, graphics is 1440 x 900, neko glut (the latest one, forget what rev.)
hamei wrote: Well, that was interesting .... my O2 runs at 1440 x 900 so I thought I'd give it a shot from home. Found out I didn't have glut installed so got that. Gave the executable a double-click and wham ! computer locked up tighter than a Shanghai Princess' pocketbook. Not the desktop, the entire thing. Vulcan death grip failed, power button failed, I had to pull its life support cord. Sumbitch.

Got it back running again, since Mom is a Republican I guess stupidity is inherited. I gave it another try, this time from a terminal. Wham ! locked up instantly again. I was hoping that just that app would freeze and I could close the terminal window but no such luck. Same thing, nothing did nothin', had to cut off her vital bodily fluids to shut down. Damn commies are everywhere.

This is an r5k-350 O2 running 6.5.22, graphics is 1440 x 900, neko glut (the latest one, forget what rev.)

I'm very sorry to hear that! (although your description made me laugh, sorry again!)

It seems like there is still lots of work to do.
Hope I get the Octane 1 running, so there is a
second system for testing.

Thank you and thanks to nuts and all other users for testing and for the reports, I will update this thread
when there is a new version.

Best regards,
Martin
Martin Steen wrote: I'm very sorry to hear that !

'sokay, that's why they call it 'testing' :) Someone else with an O2 should give it a spin tho, could be just my setup. Surprised me that it locked up that hard.
hamei wrote: [...]Gave the executable a double-click and wham ! computer locked up tighter than a Shanghai Princess' pocketbook. Not the desktop, the entire thing. Vulcan death grip failed, power button failed, I had to pull its life support cord. Sumbitch.
[...]
Same lockup here with another O2 r5k-350. Tried two different default visuals because it's working fine on my O2 R12k-400. While one did show me a false-color window frame of Die Planeten and the other showed nothing at all, both resulted in a lock up.

Martin, could you please link the next version with "-rpath /usr/nekoware/lib" (or "-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/nekoware/lib" depending on how you invoke the linker)?
canavan wrote:
hamei wrote: [...]Gave the executable a double-click and wham ! computer locked up tighter than a Shanghai Princess' pocketbook. Not the desktop, the entire thing. Vulcan death grip failed, power button failed, I had to pull its life support cord. Sumbitch.
[...]
Same lockup here with another O2 r5k-350. Tried two different default visuals because it's working fine on my O2 R12k-400. While one did show me a false-color window frame of Die Planeten and the other showed nothing at all, both resulted in a lock up.

Martin, could you please link the next version with "-rpath /usr/nekoware/lib" (or "-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/nekoware/lib" depending on how you invoke the linker)?

Could you do a test with a demo program?
Here is the sourcecode:
http://www.martin-steen.de/sgi/chromawa ... rce.tar.gz
It contains a simple makefile. This program is much smaller than "Die Planeten".

(Below is a screenshot of the chromawave demo)

Best regards, Martin
hamei wrote: Well, that was interesting .... my O2 runs at 1440 x 900 so I thought I'd give it a shot from home. Found out I didn't have glut installed so got that. Gave the executable a double-click and wham ! computer locked up tighter than a Shanghai Princess' pocketbook. Not the desktop, the entire thing. Vulcan death grip failed, power button failed, I had to pull its life support cord. Sumbitch.

Worked fine on one of my O2's, only diff from your's is a 300 MHz CPU, even using the same resolution. Something about the code locks up the 350 CPU's maybe?
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
Chromewave crashes my O2 r7k 350 even when I'm running it remotely, i.e. it's obviously a problem with the graphics, not the program itself.

For a little bit of extra performance, consider the enclosed patch to chromewave's makefile.
canavan wrote: Chromewave crashes my O2 r7k 350 even when I'm running it remotely, i.e. it's obviously a problem with the graphics, not the program itself.

For a little bit of extra performance, consider the enclosed patch to chromewave's makefile.

Thank you! I see, there are many compiler switches to explore.
Does the -IPA switch bring a decent performance gain?

Best regards,
Martin
Does the -IPA switch bring a decent performance gain?
In this case, apparently not. In other cases, I've seen massive improvements, i.e. 10x speedups if code from other files gets inlined, and cases where the compiler produces defective code with -IPA and needs to be prevented from inlining specific functions with #pragma noinline.

I think there's a larger gain in performance by using "-lfastm -lm" than by using -IPA - still not much but at least visible in direct comparison. See man libfastm. I haven't tried that with the R7k.
Might I ask where you guys got .so's of glut? Even 3.7 only seems to build archives for me.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Ah, it's in the nekoware of course, thanks.
It works fine on my R12k O2. Resolution is 1280x1024.
Maybe something in the code is exposing the R7000's bugs for which the chip was Priused.

Are there any new features planned for the next release?
I got myself a Spaceball 4000FLX, and Die Planeten seems like a perfect candidate to use with the Spaceball.
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
I was searching for old applications for irix but most of the servers are down including the ones that is mentioned here on neko links and nekoware.

ftp://ftp.mayn.de/pub/irix/ ... that is closed a long time ago (2006 i think) and it was mirrored in
http://se.mirror.nekoware.net/ which is down too ...

i'm looking for the mxaudio which was in the xaudio mips 6 package
it seems there is nowhere to be found ...
it disappeared completely from the web ... strange
Maybe neko can put it in the ftp .. it was a nice application

I'm sorry ... it IS in the ftp ... :) Thanks neko !
It seems it's the last copy of it ... uhhh
Excellent
rvic wrote:
Excellent

In case you need it, the free license key is

FREE-3212152E-0000D3FD735AC3D7

the xaudio people posted that somewhere a long time ago so shouldn't be piracy or anything like that.
Wow...
thanks a lot hamei
I shure need it ... :)
awesome

It's a beauty!
rvic wrote:
ftp://ftp.mayn.de/pub/irix/ ... that is closed a long time ago (2006 i think) and it was mirrored in
http://se.mirror.nekoware.net/ which is down too ...

Up again!

Thank you!
rvic wrote:
Excellent

Not a problem :) I try to keep that sort of thing online and accessible whenever possible.

All Rights Reserved.