IRIX and Software

What's new in 6.5.30 - Page 3

And now they've been pulled from the site as of noon here.
87Porsche wrote: And now they've been pulled from the site as of noon here.

Looks like they are back. Dare we to risk another attempt? :?
Yeah it's safe. It's downloaded and installed. My Octane still works.
87Porsche wrote: Yeah it's safe. It's downloaded and installed. My Octane still works.

yep, flawless so far.
r-a-c.de
Installed 6.5.30 here ... without Patch 7110 installed it prints some nasty messages concerning XVM that had me worried until I found the patch. It also deleted my alias.dir and alias.pag files from /etc/mail which broke my postfix install until I reran newaliases; don't remember having to do that during past upgrades. Other than that, so far so good.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I didn't need to run newaliases, but I am betting the following message in my SYSLOG:

Code: Select all

Aug 20 19:16:19 4D:octane /usr/etc/eventmond[868]: Subscription repository '/var/emgr/subscr.eventmond' contains bad entries (not loaded).
Aug 20 19:16:19 4D:octane /usr/etc/eventmond[868]: Invoke eventmond with -R option to remove these entries permanently.
Aug 20 19:16:19 4D:octane /usr/etc/eventmond[868]: EmgrCmdEventProcessor() - sendto(EMGRE:-1) ret = -1, errno = 2, No such file or directory.

I'll have to see if it comes back once I reboot.

Yet again, this release has minor issues on systems with seperate root and usr partitions: There are some binaries on the root partition which depend on libraries on the usr partition, and the symlinks in /var/www/ are one element too short.

I'm just relabelling my disks to see whether the XVM revive problem is now fixed... if it is, then I declare this release a success!
I had something similar; I just ran 'eventmond -R' as suggested and it cleared.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I've upgraded my 600MHz/O2 this morning to IRIX 6.5.30 and everything works as expected or even better. After the upgrade process, I've noticed that my built-in CDROM on the O2 started to work fine again. These drive was zombie by latest three months, and in fact I've acquired another spare CDROM to replace it at any time, but never replaced it by lazyness... :P

Now it works fine again! 8) ...Thank you all, IRIX guys at SGI! ;)

Code: Select all

uname -aR
IRIX IRIS 6.5 6.5.30m 07202013 IP32
So is the general consensus that a user with .22 should go directly to .30 and not pass go provided their system will run it, or is there a better intermediate release?
Anybody know why patch 7110 is not available to everyone who has access to download .30?
Just because SGI's Administrators are so absolutely stupid ;)

I've called SGI Developer Support to send me the patch because i want to install 6.5.30 .

They have discussed this internally and then sent me the patch via e-mail. ;)

They wanted to discuss that with the database group and give me feedback. But nothing happend till today. And the patch itself is still not available for me to download. ;(

Best regards

McBlack
mcblack writes:
> They have discussed this internally and then sent me the patch via e-mail. ;)

If you get it, feel free to send it to me and I'll put it on my Depot Resources page
for all:

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/depot/

Ian.
(07/Mar/2015) FREE! (collection only) 16x Sagitta 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI JBOD units.
Email, phone or PM for details, or see my forum post .
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
I have an Indigo2 r10000 with Irix 6.5.22 installed on it. If i try to install the 6.5.30 Overlays, i end up with more than 250 conflicts. :/
Can i install 6.5.30 on my Indigo2? It is not supported if i look into the documentation.
If i can install it, what i'm doing wrong to get that much conflicts?
Support for all systems below o2 are droped after the .22 release.

regards
Joerg

I have an Indigo2 r10000 with Irix 6.5.22 installed on it. If i try to install the 6.5.30 Overlays, i end up with more than 250 conflicts. :/
Can i install 6.5.30 on my Indigo2? It is not supported if i look into the documentation.
If i can install it, what i'm doing wrong to get that much conflicts?

<Speculation> Those 250 conflicts probably come from the fact that 6.5.30 cannot find an eoe_base package that works with the I2 </Speculation>

Isn't there no way to install 6.5.30 on an Indigo2?

reguards, Sebastian
virtualsim wrote:
<Speculation> Those 250 conflicts probably come from the fact that 6.5.30 cannot find an eoe_base package that works with the I2 </Speculation>

If i look at it, much conflicts because of eoe_base, your probably right. :/
kasbah_de wrote:
Joerg, i thought it might be unsupported, but it could work, like the 1GB Ram in the indigo2 r10000 but supportet are only 640MB.

Isn't there no way to install 6.5.30 on an Indigo2?

reguards, Sebastian

In 1996 they are no modules with bigger size availabe..... thats it.

regards
Joerg

SGI pulled the IP19,20,21,22,25,26,28 specific kernel files and the LG1, Newport, Express, etc. graphics files from IRIX starting at 6.5.23. This is not like some other systems where it is not "supported"- here it doesn't work unless you want to attempt major hacking (which would probably look something like: install on an Octane or other 64-bit architecture, move disk to IP27, move over at least /unix, /usr/sysgen and /usr/gfx, attempt boot whilst praying, and most likely move over some more files.
SAQ wrote:
major hacking (which would probably look something like: install on an Octane or other 64-bit architecture, move disk to IP27, move over at least /unix, /usr/sysgen and /usr/gfx, attempt boot whilst praying, and most likely move over some more files.

An Octane (IP30) kernel wouldn't contain hardware support for IP28 hardware such as the GIO64 and EISA busses, SCSI, seeq ethernet etc. etc. so wouldn't boot.

A better approach would be to add the arch specific files from .22 to 6.5.30 and rebuild the inst images. With a little luck the kernel API didn't change. Of course the advantage of 6.5.30 over .22 for this old hardware doesn't make the effort worthwhile or someone would have done it already.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)