IRIX and Software

What's new in 6.5.30 - Page 4

jan-jaap wrote:
SAQ wrote:
major hacking (which would probably look something like: install on an Octane or other 64-bit architecture, move disk to IP27, move over at least /unix, /usr/sysgen and /usr/gfx, attempt boot whilst praying, and most likely move over some more files.

An Octane (IP30) kernel wouldn't contain hardware support for IP28 hardware such as the GIO64 and EISA busses, SCSI, seeq ethernet etc. etc. so wouldn't boot.

Yep, That's why I talked about moving over the 6.5.22 /unix, /usr/sysgen and /usr/gfx parts. Considering that IRIX was being depreciated at the time of the 6.5.22 release, it's highly unlikely they did major changes. The one advantage I can see is that you'd pick up the security updates that don't officially exist on 6.5.22 (although it might be possible to force installation of these without any issues).
hello

Gimp 2.2 crash systematicaly on all my SGI at home
when i launch it it's ok, and if i do something, painting, opening picture, crash without core dumping.......

i have this trouble with IRIX 6.5.22, 6.5.27 and 6.5.29, on Octane R12k SI+Tram, Octane2 Dual R14k Vpro, and Onyx quad R10k IR......

i have this error: GLib-ERROR **: gmem.c:135: failed to allocate 16384 bytes
aborting...

GLib too old ?

any idea ?

Laurent

It's an issue with rqs on your system. You should be able to fix it by following the instructions davea posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=10959&start=23

All Rights Reserved.
I ran into this problem before, fixed it by downloading and installing the glib from beta. Guess there is more than one way to fix it :P
VenomousPinecone wrote:
I ran into this problem before, fixed it by downloading and installing the glib from beta. Guess there is more than one way to fix it :P

Sometimes that works (pretty much by chance) if rqs happens to remap the DSO to a better location when installing the new version, but it's not a 100% solution. davea's method will fix it though :)

All Rights Reserved.
i have test this with my onyx , forcing rqsall, and it seem to run fine now :)

regards

Laurent

another knowledge learn xD

AX wrote: Anybody know why patch 7110 is not available to everyone who has access to download .30?

I recently had my developer online application approved and there isn't a patch I can't download, including this one.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Ok, ok, ok.
This all sounds like hacking around a while for maybe nothing.

If i have some sparetime i"ll play a lil bit with that when my solaris install/netboot server is running, since there i can switch what to boot with no effort. ;)

Thanks for your advices.