SGI: Discussion

How did you get into SGI? - Page 1

Hey guys

This is a question that I'm sure many people have asked, and we've had a small conversation about it in other threads, but I'm genuinly interested in knowing how people got into SGI hardware. Was it because you work with it? Maybe you're just like me and like to have a collection of various different types of H/W? I dunno. I'd be interested to hear what people come up with...
I got in 2 it because it is inspiring, I havent seen other workstations like the ones from SGI they are unique, irix soft and the architecture of SGI computers are pices of art from my point of view, I'm in to design and computer graphics, these things are stable as hell, I have to admit that the new SGI hardware is not as inspiring as it use to be, but I'll love to see new worksatations from them in the near future, the days of IRIX are ending wich is sad (the 64 bit linux bla bla bla), I like the fact that these guys made the whole thing, Hardware, Software,

I like computers as long as they arent Winshit based

:)
SGI rules
Well my story goes back to the days of the Indigo. I don't remember how I first found out about SGI but it was roughly 1992 I think. I was reading some general computer mag, might even have been a games mag, talking about Nintendos plans for the successor to the SNES. I think the N64 was actually announced in 1993 so I may be wrong about that.

Basically, I remember hearing about the capabilities of the Indigo. I remember a cousin of mine telling me about the Amiga Video Toaster used for Babylon5, and he mentioned SGI (sorry, Silicon Graphics) being machines that acted as external upgrades to some machines. At the time he thought that they were available for a number of systems such as the Amiga, PC and ST. I now know that they were available for the DEC Alpha machines, although I gather some cards (like the MCA IRIS Vision card that recently appeared on eBay) did become available for PCs, although these were after SGI decided to make their own hardware.

I'm not even nearly qualified to go into what came out and when, I just know the Indigo was out at the time and I spotted a few images in magazines and read about the awesome power. Bare in mind that in 1992, Intel had just released the 486DX2 CPU which ran at about 20-33MHz at launch, so the Indigo would have anihilated any PC at pretty much anything back then. I have no idea how much it cost, and I didn't even have my first PC until 1997(ish) although I did work with them before that. I was actually still using an Atari ST, and begrudged making the step onto Windows. I only did it because I was using Bentley's then-state-of-the-art MicroStation95 CAD package at college and needed a copy at home too. Mac was far too expensive so I plumped for a 116MHz AMD K5-PR166. At this time, I had only heard of the Indigo2 in magazines such as Computer Arts here in the UK. Unfortunately though, even though PCs were becoming more powerful and moving into the media markets at this time, Apple pretty much had all the attention, so I heard very little of SGI. This was before we had easy access to the internet at college. We had a single ISDN line that was used by the entire facility, until we got onto the super-fast accademic network here in the UK.

Anyway, by this time, little was ever heard about SGI here. You really had to be working in the arena to get any interaction. I bought a Nintendo64 a week after it launched here in the UK, it felt like I had my first SGI. I remember that was around my first year at college, which would've been 1995-96. Couldn't tell you exactly when though.

Years then passed and I just worked on PCs. I got swallowed up by the instabilities of Windows. I started at home on Win95, then went to Win98. I tried Linux around the launch of WinME and hated it (SuSE I think it was). My AMD K5 couldn't take WinME, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, so I tried Mandrake. Hated that too as I couldn't get any decent apps to work. By this time I was heavy into use of Photoshop and 3D Studio Max. I eventually upgraded to an AMD Athlon 1.33GHz PC, a massive step from the PR166 AMD K5 that I had used for 4 years! I got swallowed up in the PC/Windows world and didn't really give SGI another thought for some time.

I went through a couple of CAD/Engineering jobs before I sustained an injury and had to take it easy. I was doing CAD as well as operating some serious machinery, doing a lot of lifting. It was killing me since I had trapped nerves in my right shoulder and chest. I decided to opt for the easy life and took a job working for the UKs *favourite* high-street electronics retailer (the group, not the store) in their PC support call-centre. I was shocked to find out the job wasn't what was advertised and I was basically spending all day telling people how to reinstall Windows and how to plug the damn things in properly.

I soon tired of the job and got in touch with the cousin I mentioned earlier. He was/is working for a huge credit-agency around the corner from where I worked, and if his sister is to be believed, he was on £100,000+ a year. I wanted to know how to get into his field, mainly as a way to get out of the call centre.

I was told that studying for qualifications like Microsoft's MCSA and MCSE were pointless, they're far too specific and tie you to a relatively low-paid job working with Windows servers, and nobody really wants that. He advised I pick up a Sun workstation, such as a SparcStation, and learn Solaris. "The money is in *NIX" he told me. Turns out that his company is almost ALL Sun H/W, as seems to be the trend in financial institutions. I decided to pick up an Ultra30 as the SparcStations seemed too low-spec for me, so I paid my money and set to being seriously confused.

While I was looking for Sun hardware on eBay, I noticed a few SGI machines, specifically Octane and Origin2000. The Octane was interesting but was still priced very highly. The Origin2000 I saw was a working 32-CPU machine with something like 8GB RAM (forget the exact figures now). I desperately wanted one of these, I figured I'd much rather learn IRIX than Solaris, although I had no idea what the state of SGIs hardware was these days. I figured since UNIX is standardised, that learning IRIX would make a transition to Solaris easier one day. Suffice to say that I saw fit to not buy the huge Origin server and I bought the Sun workstation I mentioned above.

Eventually I figured out what I was doing and then found that there was nothing else to do, it was running and there were no faults, so what else do I do? I got fed up and turned the machine off for some time. Since then I left the call centre to repair laptops. Still not exactly what I was looking for in a job!

When Solaris10 launched earlier this year I decided to turn the U30 back on. I then found that the new interface (Java Desktop System) seemed a lot slower than Solaris9's Gnome interface, despite JDS being based on Gnome, and there was no way I was going to try CDE, I hate that with a passion! Anyway, the speed of the U30 was making it difficult to work in the GUI so I decided to look for an upgrade. I had my eye on a Blade100 or Blade150, which were selling for about £150 in February. While I was scouring eBay I found Octane had dropped in price and £200 would buy me a decent 300MHz R12000 along with monitor, keyboard, mouse and SpaceBall. Right, I'm having it. I've wanted SGI for 13 years, I'm having one now.

Oh dear! It started and it couldn't stop. Since February, I bought that Octane, two Octane2, an Origin200 and an OriginVault, not to mention all the monitors! I have 5 20"+ monitors now! I need to sell off a couple of machines and I think the Sun is going. I'll buy a newer, higher spec one some time, but I have no use for it anymore. My PC is now a 2.4GHz P4 with 1GB RAM, yet I still enjoy using my 360MHz and 400MHz Octane2s more.

I'm sure you can imagine I was gutted when I realised SGI weren't developing newer versions of IRIX other than updates. Then I realised that MIPS was pretty much finished, and SGI were doing the Itanium thing. I felt like I'd wasted my money, but then I realised that IRIX is fun to use and it makes me smile everytime I power up, so I don't care. I wish I'd found the money and bought into SGI years ago now!

Long story I know, but I like to be thorough! ;)
Antnee wrote: I wish I'd found the money and bought into SGI years ago now!

I have some points of contact with your history. And I feel the same, currently! :)

My brief :)

Sinclair CZ1000 -> Sinclair Spectrum -> Atari ST -> AsWork PECOS -> i486/40 -> i486/100 -> P166 -> P200MMX -> PII 233 -> Dual P2 300 -> 1st. SGI Indy -> Sun Sparcstation LX -> Sun Sparcstation 10 -> 2nd. SGI Indy -> SGI Indigo2 -> SGI 320 -> SGI O2 -> SGI O2 -> SGI O2

(I've skipped a lot of very low importance boxes that I've purchased in between!)

Each time I need to put some money buying PeeCee hardware (not for me anymore!), even if it is needed to arrange an ask from some client, I feel that I'm wasting money.

Why does it feel SO BAD when one buy PeeCee hardware, and does it feel SO GOOD when one buy SGI hardware? :roll:

Probably because Ferrari(s), Porsche(s) and Aston Martin(s) are more pleasant investments than VW Comby(s)! ;)

(Without any intention to offend Comby's users!)
I'm not going to pretend that I hate PCs, because it's not true. I use Windows XP as my main platform, mainly because the apps I need are on it and I haven't come across anything as good on IRIX yet, my PC is also 10x as good as my Octanes for skipping around the web etc.

Apps wise, for example; DreamWeaver MX is a fantastic tool for web-dev, and I love Photoshop7, neither of which are available on IRIX. I certainly enjoy using my Octanes more though, I just wish the apps I want to use are on there. Still, I guess there's the odd few. I don't do much 3D work these days so I have little use for that kinda thing. I think I own SGI mainly because I want to, not because I need to, and that makes me happy, to have what I want, not just what I need.
Antnee wrote: I'm not going to pretend that I hate PCs, because it's not true. I use Windows XP as my main platform, mainly because the apps I need are on it and I haven't come across anything as good on IRIX yet, my PC is also 10x as good as my Octanes for skipping around the web etc.

Sure; PeeCee(s) are useful tools too. Sorry if my word were sounding too absolutist! :)

Anyway, for my own case, I don't feel a need of use them. My main O2 is filling my needs absolutely fine.

In my main work, things are inverse related than yours, and all the apps that I'm need are for MIPS/IRIX.

I don't feel too the need of felt using any Win flavour to browse better the web. My locally dedicated Internet proxy is PeeCee based anyway, because I don't have by now any kind of SGI MIPS hardware with two ethernet boards.

Antnee wrote: Apps wise, for example; DreamWeaver MX is a fantastic tool for web-dev, and I love Photoshop7, neither of which are available on IRIX. I certainly enjoy using my Octanes more though, I just wish the apps I want to use are on there.

Thinking it better, maybe there is one or two task on wich I feel I have some lack without a PeeCee:

1) DivX/XviD movie playings: my MIPS/IRIX hard is not enough powerful to drive MPlayer perfectly. The last PeeCee workstation (P3 866) was far better playing any kind of compressed movie.

2) Download of MP3 music, and DivX/XviD movies: I don't know of replacements on IRIX for Kazaa/P2P.

Antnee wrote: Still, I guess there's the odd few. I don't do much 3D work these days so I have little use for that kinda thing. I think I own SGI mainly because I want to, not because I need to, and that makes me happy, to have what I want, not just what I need.

Sure; me too! :)
I really loves my MIPS-PRO development suite. I can't live without this! I use a lot the SGI Freeware suite; and I found it enough for my tasks most part of the time.

And more: I really likes the shape, fashion, coolness, stability, and way of work of my SGI systems! ;)

Oh!; I almost forgott it!: the answer to the question in your post is:

Discovery Channel! -> Movie Magic! :)

This was my first approach to SGI! :lol: Really! :lol:
Then I've not stopped since last twenty years getting info, studying, and investigating the systems of SGI! ...And was not until the year 2001 when I've got my first Indy! Long wait!
SGI equipment is just sexy... I've always loved it. Maybe too much. I think everybody else in the industry gets there inspiration from SGI. Not to mention all the good software was pioneered at SGI... like opengl.

It pains me to see SGI at the stock price it's at right now... I'd clean the bathrooms out for minimum wage if they called me up and asked me to.
just saw some of it on ebay and bought a few of it...just do find out its not what i expected.
When you say it wasn't what you expected, were you disappointed or impressed?

I was shocked to find most people where I work have never heard of Silicon Graphics or SGI, which I find most odd because we all work with computer hardware. When they've asked what SGI have ever done for us, when I mention OpenGL, the Nintendo 64, and all the great special FX, they seem surprised. Same goes for Sun and Java though! The only ones who seem to know anything about SGI appear to be those using Linux. Go figure!
I first read about SGI when I was 12 on an italian magazine about virtual reality and computer graphics.. then 12 years later I got my first teal I2.
Now the family has grown a lot and I like them always more...if only I could keep all 'em here in my bedroom... :/
:lol:
*YETANOTHERIRIXUSER*

What were you expectations ? and what hardware were you using ? and what for ?

If you were gonna surf the web with an indy, yeah than it is slow, ever ran a small webserver on a indy :) much better !!!

greetz...

happy sgi user :D

(challenge S, O2, and......)
first i bought 2 Octanes and an Deskside Origin2000. I was satisfied by the origin but the octanes really pisses me of (they was dual R10k 250's) so i put them back to ebay.
the origin was my private main fileserver in my unix lab over a year or so, put it was recently replaced by a SUN UE450 and donated to a local university.
Reason was IRIX, which is not as flexible and modern and not well maintained , as Solaris is these days.

The only SGI i now own, is a Octane 2 but it also not satisfies me, but its nice to have one.
I dont use it that much but what shalls
:D
What were you running on those Octanes that didn't make you happy ?
if it was gfx related, what gfx board did you use ?

Could you explain your quote in a little more detail ?
/* Reason was IRIX, which is not as flexible and modern and not well maintained , as Solaris is these days. */

What do you mean by flexible, and why is it not maintained well ? Actually, I think, IRIX is one of the better OS there is and it is very scalable.

greetz !
Thaidog wrote: It pains me to see SGI at the stock price it's at right now...

it could be worse, it could be "GM" :twisted:

you know, under the current dictatorship if sgi could lighten the octane enough they could put them in the nosecone of missiles and bombs and sell thousands of them for 1000x what they are worth.

afterall, realtime image-processing is what they were designed for.
unfortunatly (unless your in the middle-east) in there present form if you put them on an aircraft it would never get off the ground. :lol:
<snip>What were you running on those Octanes that didn't make you happy ?
if it was gfx related, what gfx board did you use ? <snip>

nothing special, just day to day stuff like web, mail,..but for such things its unuseable for "me" which not means others are not happywith it.
GFX was dual ESSI i think.

<snip>* Reason was IRIX, which is not as flexible and modern and not well maintained , as Solaris is these days. */

What do you mean by flexible, and why is it not maintained well ? Actually, I think, IRIX is one of the better OS there is and it is very scalable. <snip>
we had a discussion a while back about migrate from origin3800 to the altix, with the result management decided in conclusion with SGI representative to buzz off the origin.
SGI said they can not guarantee the future of IRIX over a relevant timespan and called it obsolete. Also the admin staff was not that happy with the origin, and cried for altix. they said IRIX is complicated and unflexible.
there were no pros for IRIX/MIPS at all.
so now we have a new compute cluster with the flexibility of linux, with the so beloved (sh)itanium.
"How did you get into SGI ?" ..hmm, let's see

..let's do a little time travel back to early 90s :)

So, it's early 90s, junior school for me. Cold war is over, large posters of Claudia Schiffer and Diego Maradona hang over my bed, Guns'N'Roses are blasting off my cassette player and Ayrton Senna is still alive. With exception of just a few "audio CDs", which was an absolute rarety in stores, desk in my room is almost fully covered with "audio cassettes", 60 and 90 minute TDKs mostly (and some Sonys). Audio cassettes are "standard" for recording music and nobody gives s*it about copyright. I'm wearing ripped jeans and Van Halen T-shirts. To majority of school kids, including myself, a device today widely known as "personal computer" is a mystery. The only time I got in touch with something that looked like keyboard connected to a cathode display was at my friends home. The device was called shortly "Commodore" and all he knew about it was how to load and play a few, for todays standards, primitive games. They were loaded off a cassette which pretty much looked like those from my audio collection. When I asked what was the keyboard used for he replied that there can be some "programming" done but he doesn't now anything. All kids still considered games to be best for playing on those kiosks in large malls and stores. Anyway, about a year later my father purchased a first "real" computer, which had a mouse, keyboard and printer. Before that, all I ever knew about computers was from books and tv, mostly considering them to be reserved for large universities and goverments and unavailable for average family plus my general opinion was that you had to be some kind of smart scientist or mathematician to know how to operate it. It was a 33MHz CPU generic PC, with about 50MB of disk space and MS-DOS and an GUI extension called Windows 3.1 :) Within just a few days, I already knew most DOS commands and was playing a game that came bundled with Windows 3.1 called "Gorillas" (or something like that) with two gorillas targeting each other with bananas. Months later, most kinds in school already had a generic PC, and floppies of various games and software started floating around, mostly from MicroProse (games). The first CAD program I ever installed was Autocad (11 I think). It had a specific blue frame and ran from DOS. Highlited menus were yellow. I still remember I could not start it from Windows 3.1 and got some memory issues error message. Soon a new hardware device appeared, called Fax-Modem. There still was no WWW, so there was a collection of servers that you could connect to and the whole thing was called BBS. I still remember those pre-www times ..hehe, we did conversations from DOS on those terminal style BBS services (a some sort of message board). Then, around '93-'94, I was reading some PC magazine and there was an article with pictures about some high-tech alternatives to generic PCs, one was called NEXT, a black case, and the other IRIS Indigo, a blue one. This was the first time I heard of something else than a "generic PC" or Commodore. I found it specially interesting when seeing screen pictures of those displaying a very different GUI than those Windows 3.1 and some molecules and 3D program running. About a year later we got WWW access and browser called NCSA Mosaic and then the whole AltaVista thing started and.. well.. getting information was no problem anymore..
LaLora wrote: "How did you get into SGI ?" ..hmm, let's see

..let's do a little time travel back to early 90s :)

Cool!; I've enjoyed a lot reading your summary about it! ;)
Like many other ppl it was on a VR-class I first came in contact with the SGI IRL (I mean, Jurassic Parc might have been the first experience.... 'This is unix! I know this!' and the making of Toy Story)... So I thought they were pretty cool. Doing Maya 2.5 at O2's back in '00... The I got hold of an Indigo (hence my avatar) in '03 and then it start on coming to me... :-) I really like the MIPS-arch...
SGI Systems: R4K :Indigo: /256MB/XS-24, R5K 150MHz :Indy: /160MB/XL-24, R10K 175MHz :O2: /640MB, R12K 400MHz :Octane2: /Vpro6/1GB & R4K 250 MHz :Indigo2IMP: /128 MB/XZ Extreme/GIO64 FDDI

"It's a UNIX system! I know this! "
short answer:

after finding nekochan.net :D

a bit longer answer:

unlike most of the rest nekochaners i'm not a technical person, i'm a filmmaker and i've been doing some serious work on sgi beasts for quite some time (not me directly, but the guys at the post-production studios i work with). so i've been looking at these machines since i was in filmschool, (used to do some video editing) but ever after graduating i got into a hectic schedule and didn't really have the time to get to know them.

and like a month ago while i was googling i eventually popped-in nekochan, googled some more and heard excellent comments about this community, so i thought to go get an O2 and take dip into the sgi universe...

..i've been using Macs for all my life but ever since the decision about migrating to Intel I don't feel too hot about 'em anymore...

oh! btw thanks to all for replying to my newbie questions so far.. :D
For me, I'm practically raised between computers. My dad got them from where he works. I remember playing games on a archimedes, we had a big box full with floppy wich all contained one or more games.
Later, we played games on an a5000, the only name I can remember, but we had an HUGE load of games!!! It were 5 maps, each containing I guess about 40 games.
Later, my father bought an 368, and we weren't allowed to play games on it (remember, I was about 8 years old then). Later, we played a game stunts on it, and it was great. After that one, a 486 came and a 166 mhz pentium. That was ofcourse a fast one, but being raised on a archimedes with gui and then discovering the commandline family, you aren't that exited. After that, It was an AMD K6-3 of 400 mhz, and after that an intel 1000mhz.
I bought the 166 mhz of my dad, and my bigger brother the 400mhz. And so we played duke nukem on network. After that, I bought the 400 mhz system of my brother, and that's when I really got interested, as the amd was a really good processor of it's time, and the asus motherboard was a good one. And it had 320 mb of memmory, it had an upgrade.
After that, I bought my first new pc (moreless new, not all the components), an AMD 2500+.
Im still using that one, but my first contact and the start of my sgi history was when I was around 11-12 years old, I was going with my dad to his work. And there, he showed some nice stuff of satellite images (he works at the ITC in Enschede) on an intelbox. There were 3 intelboxed crammed on one desk and one in the other corner.
But what the most interesting thing was, were the 3 octanes with the huge 20" 4011P screens. Each one had an external scsi cdrom and floppy drive and had a speakerset. They were set up on a big desk, and the octanes were on top of them, unlike the intelboxen crammed below one desk.
That what kind of love at first sight, the trio of octanes, the big green boxes that just look awesome and really look powerfull.
I just loved the way they looked, with the mean-looking vents in the top and the beatyful design. I never saw them working, they were just on the screensaver with a black screen, but I knew they were special, and they looked special, but above all impressive.
Those 3 octanes were my first meeting with an silicon graphics machine, and I still like them, they still look awesome powerfull and kick-ass. They also had an O2, with was ofcourse also really nice, I never saw a computer that small and still look like a really good one.
But the sgi stuff got replaced, furtunately, because they were sold to the personel. My father buyed one o2 and one compelete octane with everything that belongs to it, for only 90 euros! Including the big 20" screen!
I got to play with it, and I thought the software would be handy. So he got the full cd-set of irix 6.5.2. It is old, but it was free.
Playing around with the octane was fun, It had an really thick owners manual, and everything of the system showed it was an really high-end machine, nowadays, a normal computer comes without any usefull insturction, but an manual really thick and a system that feels it has real power inside is just so much nicer than a normal tower model with feels just plain simple. We also had an o2 with an 17 inch monitor and camera, on wich my little brother used to work. And later I got another one of the 20" screens (now on my pc). So a third of the sgi machines of my dad's job is now at home with us.
When I was going trought tweakers.net, I saw a guy offering an sgi origin 200 for only 175, so I asked him is he still got it. He said: "Yes, you can have it for 50 euros, it's only gathering dust around here." Me happy, and I bought it. After a LOT of problems, I got it working. My first own sgi, as the rest is my dad's but praktically mine as he doesn't use them.
And now I'm still looking for more used machines, even tought I probably won't have any use for them (or I'll find some :D ), but I just like them.
Unfortunately, the things I liked the most of sgi are disapearing, mips is going away, as is irix. Now, they just use linux, like everybody. It loses the special touch it has. And the (sh)itanium isn't making it better. And they lost the cube logo! Compare an octane to an standard office computer. I think you'll get it. I hope what made sgi unique isn't disapearing.
So, i'm early in contact with sgi (I'm now 17) and I'm already loving the systems :D
My origin 200 brought me to the forum, all the problems I had needed a solution. And I found one here, so I'm not leaving :)