Hardware For Sale/Trade

O350 with graphics - Page 1

Thinking about dumping this piece of crap. It's no faster than a Fuel but ten times as noisy, takes up more space in an awkward configuration, the added memory does no good since the modern groovy software can't use it, the box is less versatile, has fewer pci slots, is generally a worthless piece of shit. Dual 700's with a V10. Offers considered. Thank you.
And they say salesmanship is dead. :)

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Hahaha... love it! If no-one takes it hamei, send it to Kabul, I'll put it in the rack 'ere an' give them folks something to whine about noise!

Hahaha... love it! If no-one takes it hamei, send it to Kabul ...

The nice thing about Kabul is, you could take the roaring little bastard out back and introduce him to Mr Kalashnikov ...
Is this the 2U Origin 350? I've been wanting one of those but can't afford to ship it most likely.

Yes. And I have to be honest, I am not impressed with the performance. It's either the software or the software but this thing is not responsive. The only reason to keep it is so I can get enough dvi outputs to drive the monitor. Otherwise, esad, O350.

It's odd, too, because I had a quad 5 O300 that *did* impress, even over the network.

I think the Fuel is a better workstation. Or I could go to an Octane, which at least is built nicely.

No wonder they went broke.Three times.
I'm happy with mine . But I use it as a compile/compute/storage server, not a wannabe Tezro. I keep it in a server room, so the noise isn't bothering me and I can run it 24.7 without worrying about the power/airco bill :mrgreen:

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
hamei wrote:
bluecode wrote:
Is this the 2U Origin 350? I've been wanting one of those but can't afford to ship it most likely.

Yes. And I have to be honest, I am not impressed with the performance. It's either the software or the software but this thing is not responsive. The only reason to keep it is so I can get enough dvi outputs to drive the monitor. Otherwise, esad, O350.

Well don't throw it out until I get enough money to pay for the shipping! OpenBSD ought to run nicely on it.

How does keeping it in a server room mean you don't have to pay for power/airco bill and the server room? I want a server room like that! ;)

Come to think of it, that's a pretty good idea ...

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
hamei wrote:
I am not impressed with the performance. ..... esad, O350.
Probably directly related to the redneck re-engineering it underwent .

jan-jaap wrote:
But I use it as a compile/compute/storage server, not a wannabe Tezro.
If you're happy where you're at, nobody's twistin' yer arm. But on the odd chance you're somebody who ain't got (or can't find) a Tezro, you could do a lot worse than an O350/VPro.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
bluecode wrote:
How does keeping it in a server room mean you don't have to pay for power/airco bill and the server room? I want a server room like that! ;)

It's hosted at $WORK of course :D

Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
bluecode wrote:
OpenBSD ought to run nicely on it.

that'd be rape :P

as for the o350 itself, i got one too and i'm very happy with it. it is faster than a fuel simply because it has at least 2 cpus and the rest of the components are the same.
the noise can be regulated by the L1 fan command.

and for the record, it's not a wannabe tezro but actually above the tezro because you can hook up many units to work as one and you have the IR option.
jan-jaap wrote:
I'm happy with mine . But I use it as a compile/compute/storage server, not a wannabe Tezro.

Okay le, let's be realistic. As a storage server, it's ridiculous. 2U, 19" wide, 27" deep (plus all the crap sticking out the back) to hold two disks.

Compile box, it *might* be a little faster than a Fuel but not enough to notice. I've run both.

Compute, maybe. But only if you are running fea analyses or similar. For general use the Fuel is just as fast.

I'll go another couple steps : I like smp. SMP means never having to sit there while the computer hops and jumps from task to task. But either Irix or the software or a combination of both do not do the job very well. Fireflop is a pile of shit, absolute total unutterable bear squat. This is one application where smp should be gloating over all the uni-p applications but instead, we get "Our javascript is ten times faster so we can hide ten times as much spyware on our website ! Aren't you excited ?!"

No. If I could get the asshole who invented Javascript in a dark alley I'd rip his balls off and feed them to an alligator at the zoo.

And the desktop just does not use smp to best advantage. It crashes on me, in fact. Not all the time and it's trained me to not do certain things but it ain't as good as OS/2. Seriously. In fact, overall, Irix is not as good as OS/2. Lots of nice features, graphics are much better, no point crying over OS/2 cuz it's well and truly dead but Supercomputer my ass, Warp 3 works better than this shit. I like Irix better but no use lying to ourselves, it's basically junk. It's just better junk than OS X or Loonix or (gag) Windows.

All of this stuff is pretty much crap. Computing hasn't really improved in fifteen years. Sure, the whole environment is more polished but the fundamentals have rotted, if anything.

(For a quick illustration, my neighbor just came over to look at our printer. They just "upgraded" to Windows 7 [probly to be able to read the worthless modern ! docx files every nitwit in the world is sending out now]. Their $500 printer no longer works. This is beyond retarded. In 1995 I can understand it but now ? WHY DO PEOPLE PUT UP WITH THIS CRAP ??! Take Monkeyboy out and give him a last cigarette. Are people ever going to grow any balls ?)

About the wannabe Tezro, once again the invisible hand of Satan enters the photo. Yes, a deskside Tezro should be quieter. That's what it's designed for. Why not buy one ?

Because the loser arrogant greedy asshole dickwads at SGI decided to emasculate the thing so they could make more money. If you want two graphics heads you have to buy the rackmount (that's rackmount as in "wannabe" :D ) version. "Oh no, two V12's would draw too much current, we can't allow that ! We best put a software safety switch in there so no one can ever do that to their own computer which they bought and paid for !"

Put a bigger trace on the board, assholes. Billion dollar company and you can't figure that out ? What, you think we are too stupid to figure out you are manipulating us ? ESAD. (So they did, but Bozo is doing fine, thank you very much.)

Commerce. Capitalism. Business logic. The US is fucking worthless. Go read the story about Midas, fools.

The O350 is okay, I shouldn't say it is total junk. But it's not really any more useful for most things than a Fuel. If it didn't sit here roaring like a buffalo in heat I wouldn't hate it so much.

Quote:
I keep it in a server room, so the noise isn't bothering me and I can run it 24.7 without worrying about the power/airco bill :mrgreen:

Not complaining about the power or air conditioning. On the other hand, in mid-winter when we were wearing jackets it was okay. But now, even in an air-conditioned room when you'd almost want a sweater, the idiot thing howls like a 50 hp Sullair. I guess it could easily be watercooled - in the toilet.

recondas wrote:
Probably directly related to the redneck re-engineering it underwent .

I disagree. Most likely the redneck engineering is better than what the factory did. By the time they built these, I think the janitor at Safeway probably had more imagination and skill than the average SGI employee. Stick a $50 Adaptec card in it, write a shitty driver that half works, and charge $500 for it. What a business plan ! We'll be rich ! Rich, I tell you, filthy stinking IPO-class rich !

Fucking losers.

You know, this whole computing thing is just shit. Where have all the "innovations" (barf, puke, gag me with a spoon) gone ? Let me reach out ... has all the "innovation" beyond patenting a rectangle with round corners gone into NSA spying on all the citizens of the US ? Snowden is a "traitor" for telling the truth but those cocksuckers are patriots for trampling the 4th amendment into a pulp under their jack-booted heels ? We need people keeping track of what kind of underwear we buy to "keep us safe fwum tewwowists" ? how about all the police departments tracking license plates 24 hours a day and building huge databases of where every car in the US is at all times ? how about Google bringing the telescreen to all our homes ? Nice, eh ? Where's my Big Brother poster ?! That's an integral part of my rich internet experience !

How about throwing all this worthless trash in the garbage and living on five acres in the Yukon instead .... this world sucks, and computing is the enabler of all that.

It's all about power, Winston. And we got it, you don't. You want to know the future ? A laptop-carrying Gestapo agent grinding your face into the ground over and over and over again. Forever.

Thanks, Intel. You're a real sport.
hamei wrote:
Okay le, let's be realistic. As a storage server, it's ridiculous. 2U, 19" wide, 27" deep (plus all the crap sticking out the back) to hold two disks.

he didn't say his storage was internal

Quote:
Compile box, it *might* be a little faster than a Fuel but not enough to notice. I've run both.

it's exactly twice as fast (assuming 2 cpus) as soon as the gnu make or any other jobserver kicks in.

Quote:
Compute, maybe. But only if you are running fea analyses or similar. For general use the Fuel is just as fast.

every program that supports smp is faster. how much faster depends on each program.

Quote:
I'll go another couple steps : I like smp. SMP means never having to sit there while the computer hops and jumps from task to task. But either Irix or the software or a combination of both do not do the job very well. Fireflop is a pile of shit, absolute total unutterable bear squat. This is one application where smp should be gloating over all the uni-p applications but instead, we get "Our javascript is ten times faster so we can hide ten times as much spyware on our website ! Aren't you excited ?!"

haha indeed. i never understood why something as fat as the mozilla poducts never had smp support. at least partially. even more so since today every walmart box has multiple cores.
Actually, I can answer that: JavaScript has run-to-completion semantics (everywhere it's implemented, not just Gecko) dating back to Brendan Eich's sleepless nights at Netscape, meaning that you can't have simultaneous script actions running -- a previous action must complete before another can be done or coherency goes out the window.

If you're in an environment where every tab is a renderer instance independent of every other, then this doesn't matter, because every renderer instance has its own independent JavaScript environment and coherency is unimportant between the instances. This is classically associated with Chrome, but Gecko could even do this until 2.0 with native embedding (the most famous examples being Camino and K-Meleon, both undone when this feature was removed {IMHO ill-advisedly}).

However, XUL is content just like HTML, and Firefox and friends going back to the earliest days of XUL in Mozilla 0.mumble use JavaScript to interact with it. This allows some very powerful scripting and extension capabilities, but since browser tabs are just constructs within an overall XUL framework which a single rendering instance manages, the browser's chrome and the website's content must essentially cooperatively multitask with a single JavaScript VM. If content does a long or slow operation, then chrome has to wait (which is why the timeout dialogue was implemented, in C++).

For a time Mozilla was looking at allowing chrome its own thread so that the browser chrome wouldn't be bogged down by a slow content script, but this had a lot of limitations to keep it compatible with the existing model (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... upersnappy ). They're now trying to resurrect the old Electrolysis multiprocess model, but I've heard that song before years ago. While Mobile Firefox uses a form of this, it sacrificed a lot of compatibility to make it possible, and I don't think that will be acceptable on the desktop.

hamei wrote:

Make that 4U (two modules). Of course current hardware offers an order of magnitude more speed and storage within the same space/power constraints. An O300 / O350 / Tezro may be recent by MIPS/IRIX standards, it still is nearly 10 years old. I'm not recommending anyone use such an old system in production unless you have no other choice (and a healthy supply of spares).
foetz wrote:
he didn't say his storage was internal

Well, in this case it is. 4TB hanging of an LSI SAS/SATA controller in the 2nd module of the O350 . This system is hosted at work, but that doesn't make it the company file server. Most of the storage is used by the FLAC files for the office stereo system. :mrgreen:
foetz wrote:
Quote:

it's exactly twice as fast (assuming 2 cpus) as soon as the gnu make or any other jobserver kicks in.

My O350 also serves as a regression bot. This is why the company is hosting it. Before that I used a Fuel (1x500Mhz), that was a joke. Couldn't keep up. Replaced with a 2x600MHz O300. At some point the O300 was > 80% busy running the regression tests if people were committing frequently and sometimes the next regression job would kick in before the previous had finished. Makes a big mess of our build dash. The O350 (8x700MHz) doesn't break a sweat and has enough time left to do whatever I feel like doing.

Of course our Makefiles are crafted to keep all CPUs busy all the time.

BTW I wasn't trying to diss people who convert an O350 to a gfx workstation. I'm just saying that *I* still have a niche where an O350 can be useful. Once it stops being useful, it will be retired and join the rest of the museum.

jan-jaap wrote:
My O350 also serves as a regression bot. This is why the company is hosting it. Before that I used a Fuel (1x500Mhz), that was a joke. Couldn't keep up. Replaced with a 2x600MHz O300. At some point the O300 was > 80% busy running the regression tests if people were committing frequently and sometimes the next regression job would kick in before the previous had finished. Makes a big mess of our build dash. The O350 (8x700MHz) doesn't break a sweat and has enough time left to do whatever I feel like doing.

I'd be the last person to diss anyone's choice of ... pretty much anything, actually. People should use what they like. They just shouldn't ram it down everyone else's throat ... (not you, J. I'm thinking of the "It's not moooodern ! that's deprecated !!" children)

btw, if replacing the 2p @600 by 8p @700 wasn't effective, something woulda been wrong :D

Quote:
Of course our Makefiles are crafted to keep all CPUs busy all the time.

That's a big part of it. Software is, in general, terrible.

The stuff the NSA and police departments use to spy on us is better, I expect.

Quote:
BTW I wasn't trying to diss people who convert an O350 to a gfx workstation. I'm just saying that *I* still have a niche where an O350 can be useful. Once it stops being useful, it will be retired and join the rest of the museum.

And I didn't mean an O350 is useless. But in many (most ?) ways it's no better than a Fuel. In some ways it's a lot worse. If someone wrote all new software ..... they could put that with the million dollars the tooth fairy is going to leave under my pillow.

If it doesn't stfu tho, one of these days I'm going to hit it with a hammer.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
Actually, I can answer that: JavaScript has run-to-completion semantics (everywhere it's implemented, not just Gecko) dating back to Brendan Eich's sleepless nights at Netscape, meaning that you can't have simultaneous script actions running -- a previous action must complete before another can be done or coherency goes out the window.

Cool. So we can put all our efforts into gtk1, gtk2, gtk3, qt 1-2-3, gnome1, gnome2, compiz, no more nasty ./configure throw that all out now we'll use cmake ! and wow ! anti-aliased fonts ! but the core software we run is designed for DOS 3.3

Now, this is just software so it's hard to say that is the stupidest thing ever , but ... it's surely a temptation.
I'm sure it made sense at the time. But the actually bad decision was not to implement separate execution environments for chrome and content from the beginning.

hamei wrote:
in many (most ?) ways it's no better than a Fuel. In some ways it's a lot worse.

hehe no idea why you think so but my 2 previous posts should give a pretty good impression where the o350 and fuel stand