Nekochan Net

Possible to delete account on nekochan? - Page 1

Is it possible to delete an account on nekochan?
Censored by nekochan.net
I didn't see anything in the UCP or MCP to do this. PM me with the details and I will try and find someone to help.

EDIT:
Did some reading on the phpbb docs and it appears we do not have the "Delete My Account" mod installed in the UCP. All it would do though is delete your name from the member list and place "deleted user" as the user name on all your old posts. Is that what you wanted to accomplish?

If there is anything I can help with, or any concerns you have regarding this forum I would be happy to go to bat for you. Send me a PM if you don't wish to discuss this in the open forum.
VenomousPinecone wrote: EDIT:
Did some reading on the phpbb docs and it appears we do not have the "Delete My Account" mod installed in the UCP. All it would do though is delete your name from the member list and place "deleted user" as the user name on all your old posts. Is that what you wanted to accomplish?

But please, make sure you don't delete posts when deleting users. There are already many topics, which are hard to understand, because one member's posts were deleted with his account.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
GL1zdA wrote: But please, make sure you don't delete posts when deleting users. There are already many topics, which are hard to understand, because one member's posts were deleted with his account.

+1
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
GL1zdA wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote: But please, make sure you don't delete posts when deleting users. There are already many topics, which are hard to understand, because one member's posts were deleted with his account.

Why is censorship ok for some people and not others? That doesn't sound very egalitarian, modern, UNIXy etc. ;)
Censored by nekochan.net
Sorry, bluecode.

I am not here very often, especially the last week due to illness. Getting to your PM now.
bluecode wrote: I sent you a PM on Sunday and have not heard back. So I ASSume you would not be happy to go to bat, as it were.
Don't respond to reactionism by being reactionary! :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote:
bluecode wrote: I sent you a PM on Sunday and have not heard back. So I ASSume you would not be happy to go to bat, as it were.
Don't respond to reactionism by being reactionary! :shock:

You keep on using these fancy words. Now I have to go look up reactionism :lol:

(I already know what "reactionary" is)
Censored by nekochan.net
bluecode wrote: Is it possible to delete an account on nekochan?
GL1zdA wrote: But please, make sure you don't delete posts when deleting users. There are already many topics, which are hard to understand, because one member's posts were deleted with his account.
smj wrote: +1

bluecode wrote: Why is censorship ok for some people and not others? That doesn't sound very egalitarian, modern, UNIXy etc. ;)

bluecode apparently felt that nekochan.net's policy of not allowing members to buy/sell/trade commercial software was an affront to his right to do as he pleased .

While we do prohibit commercial software sales, we otherwise allowed bluecode pretty much free rein in the content of his posts - so much so that we even allowed him to censor himself. He elected to open each of the posts he'd made and remove the original content, then use the empty space to vandalize the threads those posts were in.

If his desire was to force the removal of his posts, he got his wish. I've deleted all of his historical posts to remove the graffiti he left behind.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Wow, that was... childish...

Many other forums have the same rules for the same reasons - if you're seen as facilitating a breach of copyright by allowing the sale/trade of unlicensed software the forum owner gets the nasty-grams from lawyers, some of which can be rather expensive even if you act in good faith.

Oh well..
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!
Stoo wrote: Wow, that was... childish...

Many other forums have the same rules for the same reasons - if you're seen as facilitating a breach of copyright by allowing the sale/trade of unlicensed software the forum owner gets the nasty-grams from lawyers, some of which can be rather expensive even if you act in good faith.

Oh well..

I went to some length to explain that to him in PM's. Unfortunately, what we see here is now the result of his quixotic quest to fight the powah.
Not to be contrapuntal but in my opinion Bluecode did not violate forum rules. Asking about the availability of software is not the same as asking to buy commercial software from someone/something who is/are not authorized by the software's copyright holder to sell it. Which, by the way, is how the forum rule should be worded...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Not to be contrapuntal but in my opinion Bluecode did not violate forum rules.
Don't think anybody said bluecode violated the no-commercial-software rule, though I did mention that he apparently wasn't too happy with it.

vishnu wrote: Asking about the availability of software is not the same as asking to buy commercial software from someone/something who is/are not authorized by the software's copyright holder to sell it.
If you're talking about the same thread that seemed to have set bluecode off, considering that the OP there posted in the "Hardware Wanted " forum:
Hi there, looking for a C++ Compiler for IRIX 5.3. If possible with a permanent license.
I think his intent was fairly transparent - the OP in that thread wanted / was asking for a C++ Compiler for IRIX 5.3 with a permanent license.

vishnu wrote: Which, by the way, is how the forum rule should be worded...
You're obviously free to make that demand of your/our host, but please respect the fact that he's equally free to do what he thinks is in the best interests of nekochan.net.
recondas wrote:
vishnu wrote: Not to be contrapuntal but in my opinion Bluecode did not violate forum rules.
Don't think anybody said bluecode violated the no-commercial-software rule, though I did mention that he apparently wasn't too happy with it.

I think he was upset because in your answer you asked him to respect forum rules, none of which he had broken.

recondas wrote:
vishnu wrote: Asking about the availability of software is not the same as asking to buy commercial software from someone/something who is/are not authorized by the software's copyright holder to sell it.
If you're talking about the same thread that seemed to have set bluecode off, considering that the OP there posted in the "Hardware Wanted " forum:
jschulz wrote: Hi there, looking for a C++ Compiler for IRIX 5.3. If possible with a permanent license.
I think his intent was fairly transparent - the OP in that thread wanted / was asking for a C++ Compiler for IRIX 5.3 with a permanent license.

Well that's one way to interpret it, I was going to point the OP to a vendor from whom a compiler could be purchased, but you had already locked the thread. It wasn't a completely eggregious violation of the rule or you would have either edited the post or deleted the thread, right?

recondas wrote:
vishnu wrote: Which, by the way, is how the forum rule should be worded...
You're obviously free to make that demand of your/our host, but please respect the fact that he's equally free to do what he thinks is in the best interests of nekochan.net.

Actually I was just being facetious; the rule is perfectly clear as it is... 8-)
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: It wasn't a completely eggregious violation of the rule or you would have either edited the post or deleted the thread, right?
I actually didn't delete the thread *because* of jan-jaap and bluecode's responses - in particular bluecode's query of "Is this explained anywhere?" Some newer users seem not to understand the reasoning behind the no-commercial-software rule and might not have seen previous explanations. Not deleting the thread allowed me to answer bluecode's question *and* offer the explanation anyone else not already familiar.

vishnu wrote: I think he was upset because in your answer you asked him to respect forum rules, none of which he had broken.
My request to please respect the forum rules was intended for bluecode and *anyone* who might also read it:
recondas wrote: One final note on the subject. Most of the nekochan moderators will edit (or delete) the first post made that doesn't comply with the commercial software rule. That's usually been more than sufficient to get the attention and willing cooperation of the offending poster. It'd be nice if that was always the case, but we recently had a member who reincarnated his deleted request for warez. As a result he's now permanently banned. Please respect the forum rules.
If bluecode found that request offensive he could have publicly voiced his concerns in another thread or even by PM. Which is pretty much what you've just done, without having been "censored by nekochan".
So then it is permissible to ask if anyone knows of a vendor who offers a software product that can do one thing or another? In this case it was a C++ compiler for Irix 5.3, but mentioning a perment license crossed the boundary?
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: So then it is permissible to ask if anyone knows of a vendor who offers a software product that can do one thing or another? In this case it was a C++ compiler for Irix 5.3, but mentioning a perment license crossed the boundary?

As you've already pointed out, "the rule is perfectly clear as it is". I'm in complete agreement with you. When it comes right down to it, the no-commercial-software rule wasn't intended to protect the commercial software industry, it was intended to protect the forums from the commercial software industry.
vishnu wrote: So then it is permissible to ask if anyone knows of a vendor who offers a software product that can do one thing or another? In this case it was a C++ compiler for Irix 5.3, but mentioning a perment license crossed the boundary?

The original poster's question did not necessarily cross the line. It may not be obvious to a new member of the community where to go to get software through legitimate channels, and we should be as helpful and welcoming as possible, within the rules of the forum. Unfortunately, other than jan-jaap's suggestion of an open source alternative to the MIPSpro Compiler, we got distracted from the OP's question by engaging in yet another fruitless review of Forum Policy.

Aside from sharing pointers to non-commercial alternatives (like open source software), it is acceptable to point people to legitimate commercial sources , such as the original vendor or authorized resellers, and there are examples of exactly that in the forum. It is not acceptable to offer to buy/sell/trade commercial software directly on this forum.

Unfortunately, it is pretty common for someone (like bluecode, in this case) to take that as a cue to argue for changing the forum policy regarding the buying/selling/trading of commercial software. As recondas mentioned, the topic has been discussed ad nauseam , and it is extraordinarily unlikely that someone is going to introduce a point to the conversation that has not already been raised, again ad nauseam . Pretty soon, it becomes tempting to shut down all discussion of the topic, rather than allow leeway for pointers to legitimate sources. None of us are paid to host, moderate, or participate in this forum, and recurring headaches don't help any of us.

The owner of this site has been very generous in managing and hosting this resource, and his position on the matter has been very clear. This is a community, and it is largely self-governing, but, at the end of the day, it isn't a democracy. Use it and contribute to it to the degree it is helpful and mutually beneficial, but keep in mind that all of us -- including the moderators -- are guests in another guy's sandbox.
A very necessary thing but the worst part of all this to me is that since IRIX is now abandonware we can no longer acquire any of the applications that made these workstations so valuable. I mean, here's the scenario, we still get new members all the time who post saying they've wanted an SGI workstation for days weeks months years etc., but now that they have one go ahead and try to get any of the vendors who make Maya or Shake or Pro/ENGINEER to sell an IRIX version, it just ain't gonna happen, and that's the tragedy... :oops:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: ... here's the scenario, we still get new members all the time who post saying they've wanted an SGI workstation for days weeks months years etc., but now that they have one go ahead and try to get any of the vendors who make Maya or Shake or Pro/ENGINEER to sell an IRIX version, it just ain't gonna happen, and that's the tragedy...

Vish - the software didn't go anywhere. It's still available -- just not here .

Even I can understand the reasons for that, and I'm as stubborn as a mule :shock: